The Durant Sweepstakes

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
as long as he didn’t come out and make a black and white statement he never had any leverage.

The thing that pisses me off is we missed out on Murray. He would of been the perfect addition.

Where do we go now?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were willing to go all in for Durant, take that same energy elsewhere

This is my hope.

However, if Ayton is inclined to be traded near the trade deadline, this whole story could play out again.

The Suns would have more assets if Ayton was agreeable to be traded.

Now I hope the Suns concentrate on improving the team they have.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as he didn’t come out and make a black and white statement he never had any leverage.

The thing that pisses me off is we missed out on Murray. He would of been the perfect addition.

Where do we go now?

Maybe the Crowder trade happens now. Also, the Suns should look at spinoff trades if Donovan Mitchell is traded.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is my hope.

However, if Ayton is inclined to be traded near the trade deadline, this whole story could play out again.

Where do we go now.

Adding Clarkson would be fools gold. Guys on that level aren’t gonna put this team over the top

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do we go now.

Adding Clarkson would be fools gold. Guys on that level aren’t gonna put this team over the top

I'm not opposed to adding depth at guard. He wouldn't put the Suns over the top, but he would be added insurance if Cam Payne struggles.

Clarkson is more of a combo guard.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local radio there says that the Nets couldn't get anything CLOSE to what they were asking from other teams. They would rather keep him then trade him for less. Also, KG backed off on a trade request. They are speculating it's because they decided to keep Kyrie first convincing KD to see how things go this year.

All this damn wasted time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local radio there says that the Nets couldn't get anything CLOSE to what they were asking from other teams. They would rather keep him then trade him for less. Also, KG backed off on a trade request. They are speculating it's because they decided to keep Kyrie first convincing KD to see how things go this year.

All this damn wasted time.

If Durant plays well, there will be better offers on the table at the trade deadline.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is my hope.

Who cares if Ayton asked to be dealt? He has no leverage. KD didn't get dealt after asking out so Ayton stands little chance of getting his way. Both have 4 years left on their deals. Unless a player holds out or half asses it then it's just a request that the organization isn't obligated to fulfill.

Ayton will only be traded if it's in the Suns best interest, whether he makes the request or not. The Suns matched his offer sheet for a reason.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Durant plays well, there will be better offers on the table at the trade deadline.
Maybe. It doesn't appear the Nets are going to lower the asking price. Even at the trade deadline they are going to face the same issues. What contending team is going to dismantle at the trade deadline for Durant? I am not going out on a limb to say ZERO. None will. If KD refuses to go to a non-contending team? It will likely still require a 3 team deal to get anything done with a contender. Local radio was talking about this there too. They think the Nets might be kicking the can down the road but it doesn't change the challenge of dealing with contenders.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares if Ayton asked to be dealt? He has no leverage. KD didn't get dealt after asking out so Ayton stands little chance of getting his way. Both have 4 years left on their deals. Unless a player holds out or half asses it then it's just a request that the organization isn't obligated to fulfill.

Ayton will only be traded if it's in the Suns best interest, whether he makes the request or not. The Suns matched his offer sheet for a reason.
Ayton isn't going anywhere. Not unless the Suns start benching him and he becomes completely disgruntled or he completely regresses. There is no incentive for Ayton to want to go to Brooklyn. None. He isn't going to agree to help the Suns bring KD here at the trade deadline out of the goodness of his heart.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a bit put off by this news. It seemed as if the front office was all in on a Durant deal and sat by as all the quality free agents signed elsewhere and other trades were made. They even took their time resigning our own free agents.

I'm not entirely sure who they should have targeted with their MLE but I'm confident someone was available with that or by trade that would have improved the team going forward.

I would have loved a deal for Murray but Atlanta got him at a reduced rate already. They even made that move when they have Trae Young at PG already. I'm confident the Suns could have made it work here for a year before moving on from CP3.

I hope JJ had a backup plan other than run it back because I don't believe this team is strong enough to win a title unless at least Ayton and one of the twins take a big leap forward. That's far from guaranteed and likely isn't probable either so I really hope JJ has an ace up his sleeve.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. It doesn't appear the Nets are going to lower the asking price. Even at the trade deadline they are going to face the same issues. What contending team is going to dismantle at the trade deadline for Durant? I am not going out on a limb to say ZERO. None will. If KD refuses to go to a non-contending team? It will likely still require a 3 team deal to get anything done with a contender. Local radio was talking about this their too. They think the Nets might be kicking the can down the road but it doesn't change the challenge of dealing with contenders.

I haven't researched it, but the bigger trades seem to occur around the trade deadline. Teams are more willing to blow it up then or make moves to put them over the top. Teams that fold their cards are more apt to trade players as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit put off by this news. It seemed as if the front office was all in on a Durant deal and sat by as all the quality free agents signed elsewhere and other trades were made. They even took their time resigning our own free agents.

I'm not entirely sure who they should have targeted with their MLE but I'm confident someone was available with that or by trade that would have improved the team going forward.

I would have loved a deal for Murray but Atlanta got him at a reduced rate already. They even made that move when they have Trae Young at PG already. I'm confident the Suns could have made it work here for a year before moving on from CP3.

I hope JJ had a backup plan other than run it back because I don't believe this team is strong enough to win a title unless at least Ayton and one of the twins take a big leap forward. That's far from guaranteed and likely isn't probable either so I really hope JJ has an ace up his sleeve.
We blew multiple opportunities to improve this roster waiting for KD. That doesn't mean JJ can't get creative and still make something happen but it's going to be harder now that so many guys have moved teams already.

The Suns may have blown it until the trade deadline.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton has veto power over any trade for a full year.

I know he has veto power this season but I don't see how that relates to your comment. You said if Ayton is inclined to be traded around the deadline we might see a similar situation play out. Whether Ayton is inclined or not doesn't matter, he doesn't have the leverage to force the Suns to deal him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't researched it, but the bigger trades seem to occur around the trade deadline. Teams are more willing to blow it up then or make moves to put them over the top. Teams that fold their cards are more apt to trade players as well.
How can a team blow it up and still be put over the top? Those both can't be true. You can trade possibly one of your stars (if you have multiple). I could see that happen, but you better have two legit stars or adding KD doesn't help you. That's a very limited number of teams. That's why the Celtics kept coming up as the most logical destination.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has to be willing to be traded for it to happen and he has veto power for a full year.

If he wanted out of Phoenix and were willing to play for the Nets a similar trade scenario for Durant could play out again.

I'm not saying it will, but it could.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can a team blow it up and still be put over the top? Those both can't be true. You can trade possibly one of your stars (if you have multiple). I could see that happen, but you better have two legit stars or adding KD doesn't help you. That's a very limited number of teams. That's why the Celtics kept coming up as the most logical destination.

Teams out of the playoffs sometimes blow it up. The Pacers traded Sabonis at the trade deadline last season.

Teams looking to compete add players. See the Pelicans and Clippers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams out of the playoffs sometimes blow it up. The Pacers traded Sabonis at the trade deadline last season.

Teams looking to compete add players. See the Pelicans and Clippers.
Teams out of the playoffs yes. I was talking about teams still in it come the trade deadline. None of them are going to blow it up unless they have multiple stars on the roster. Having said that? KD doesn't sound like a guy that is going to let himself be dealt to a team that isn't a lock to contend after the trade.