The Durant Sweepstakes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it was about 3 to 4 weeks ago, but Gambo reported the team was seeking a 3rd party to help in a trade. I thought I had posted it. Gambo said it's firsthand knowledge from the organization. Sounds like this person is just hearing about it. Although, it sounds like the Suns have had no luck which might be new.

These are ancient rumors getting recycled. Sometimes I wonder if they are worth posting.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This all reeks of the nets desperately trying to drive up the price and leaking offers that were made months ago, most of which are no longer on the table.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We thought he had. Us.

Yeah, I think the Suns were Durant's choice before the Celtics and other teams became involved.

It sounds like the Nets may have already received their best offer. Now his trade value may be going backwards.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the Suns were Durant's choice before the Celtics and other teams became involved.

It sounds like the Nets may have already received their best offer. Now his trade value may be going backwards.
If Memphis is not even willing to give up Jaren Jackson for Durant that says a lot. I don't even view him as likely to become an all star player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Memphis is not even willing to give up Jaren Jackson for Durant that says a lot. I don't even view him as likely to become an all star player.

Jaren Jackson Jr. may never become an All-Star but he is solid player and only 22.

I wouldn't include him in a trade for Durant either. The Nets must think they are sitting on gold.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jaren Jackson Jr. may never become an All-Star but he is solid player and only 22.

I wouldn't include him in a trade for Durant either. The Nets must think they are sitting on gold.
So you consider him more valuable than Mikal - because I don't.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you consider him more valuable than Mikal - because I don't.

I wouldn't look at it this way but I think Jaren Jackson Jr. has comparable value and is three years younger.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like Jackson a lot, but Mikal is one of the best defenders in the league, so I would consider him far more valuable.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJJ is on Mikal’s level defensively his problem is durability.

Mikal is so unbelievably disruptive. I don't know if I've ever seen someone who causes so many deflections... certainly never on the Suns before. Maybe Ben Wallace... that guy's tarantula arms seemed to be everywhere.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
JJJ is on Mikal’s level defensively his problem is durability.

I disagree, and that's not a knock on JJJ. He is a very good defender, but Bridges is on a different level. I'd likely put Jackson just above Ayton, but I don't think he is at Mikal's level. Mikal's ability to recover is just incredible. He seems to play the passing lanes a bit better as well. On top of it, JJJ fouls a lot while Mikal doesn't. Without looking it up, I'd say that JJJ fouls twice as much as Bridges while playing probably playing 3-5 fewer minutes per game.

I agree that durability is a huge factor for Bridges and Jackson. One never misses a game and the other one is plagued by injuries.

To be fair, it's hard to compare a wing and a big man defensively. Well, quantifying the difference is the difficult part. I think JJJ is very good defensively, but I really think Mikal is better.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Mikal is so unbelievably disruptive. I don't know if I've ever seen someone who causes so many deflections... certainly never on the Suns before. Maybe Ben Wallace... that guy's tarantula arms seemed to be everywhere.

I agree, but what I find even more amazing is how he recovers. You see player beat him off the dribble, run him through screens, and he still manages to recover and get back to his assigned player. I've seen people do that before (Leonard, Kobe, etc), but I have never seen anyone do it as consistently as Mikal does. His understanding of angles on defense really reminds me of certain players who understand angles on offense, such as Luka and TJ Warren back when he actually played. I haven't quite figured out how to explain this, so it probably doesn't make sense, but there is just something geometrical about Mikal on defense that's very rare.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The Nets allegedly not wanting DA in a trade at the beginning of all of this is starting to bite them in the ass. At this point, Sean Marks is going to have to accept pesos on the dollar

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nets allegedly not wanting DA in a trade at the beginning of all of this is starting to bite them in the ass. At this point, Sean Marks is going to have to accept pesos on the dollar

Ayton's salary would have hard capped the Nets but I'm sure they would have liked spinoff assets if the Suns had done a sign-and-trade with another team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant is no longer available for trade per report. He will remain a Nets player.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More details from Adrian Wojnarowski.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Kevin Durant sweepstakes appear over, at least for NOW.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like that. After 85 pages, here we are.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Sad face. But we shouldve all predicted this to happen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave