The Durant Sweepstakes

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giannis was allowed to do anything he wanted. The Suns weren't allowed to touch him.
Meh. I know that is a Suns fan narrative. Giannis was fantastic and outplayed our front court. He played bigger, better and was far more aggressive. He took over the end of that series like a Superstar should.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes
Sadly I thought he fouled us more than they called...But Giannis took over man..just like you said like a superstar should

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes
Sadly I thought he fouled us more than they called...But Giannis took over man..just like you said like a superstar should

The Suns couldn't build a wall to stop him.

That one steal by Jrue Holiday from Devin Booker was disheartening.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo just said the Suns have made no offers to the Nets for specific players in a KD trade. The talks have not progressed that far. He said each time the Suns have talked to the Nets, they said "you don't have enough to trade for him". So, this is in direct contradiction to some insiders. The only player on the team that the Suns had specific offer discussions surrounded Ayton. So, what he is saying POST Ayton discussions the Suns have made zero offers naming specific players.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo just said the Suns have had no conversations with the Nets about specific players and that the talks have NEVER progressed that far. He said each time the Suns have talked to the Nets, they said "you don't have enough to trade for him". So, this is in direct contradiction to some insiders. The Suns have not gotten to the point in talks where specific players have been discussed. The only player on the team that the Suns has specific conversations surrounded Ayton.

That also sort of contradicts Gambo since he was the first to say the Nets didn't want Ayton. Although you may be able to squeeze that into what he's saying now, I would say that's a real stretch. If the Nets said they didn't want Ayton then specific players were discussed.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That also sort of contradicts Gambo since he was the first to say the Nets didn't want Ayton. Although you may be able to squeeze that into what he's saying now, I would say that's a real stretch. If the Nets said they didn't want Ayton then specific players were discussed.
No he said that Ayton is the only one. Basically, this came up because word is that Jaylen Brown is really upset with the Celtics because the fact he was offered was leaked. In contrast, the Suns can maintain to all their players (except Ayton) that they have not offered up any specific players to the Nets in any deal. He is saying to date, discussions with the Nets have not gotten that far. So, I think he is saying once the Nets told the Suns we have no interest in Ayton, no other talks after that have progressed that far.

If true, the Nets have thumbed their nose at serious discussion with the Suns and turned down the Celtics offer of Brown. IMO, unless KD plays hardball? He may not go anywhere unless some crazy multi-team trade happens. This seems to support Gambo's earlier report that the Suns are exploring multi-team trade scenarios. Likely because the Nets won't give them the time of day right now. The one caveat? He didn't say the Suns denied offering picks. So, it's possible the Suns have offered picks and asked what players do you have interest in and the Nets have said none.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo just said the Suns have had no conversations with the Nets that got to the point of offering specific players for KD and that the talks have not progressed that far. He said each time the Suns have talked to the Nets, they said "you don't have enough to trade for him". So, this is in direct contradiction to some insiders. The only player on the team that the Suns had specific conversations surrounded Ayton. So, what he is saying POST Ayton discussions the Suns have made zero offers naming specific players.

I don't think the Suns currently have the assets to trade for Durant straight up.

If they wait until January 15th or near the trade deadline they could possibly trade Ayton to a third team which could give them more assets to use such as draft picks. I think the Celtics messed everything up when they reportedly offered to include Jaylen Brown.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns currently have the assets to trade for Durant straight up.

If they wait until January 15th or near the trade deadline they could possibly trade Ayton to a third team which could give them more assets to use such as draft picks. I think the Celtics messed everything up when they reportedly offered to include Jaylen Brown.
Well it appears the way the Celtics handled things and the way the Suns handled things were very different. Now you have a pissed of Jaylen Brown who may want out of an organization that showed him no loyalty.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It has to do with KD wanting to be in Phoenix. If KD was willing to go to Boston they would of taken the deal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has to do with KD wanting to be in Phoenix. If KD was willing to go to Boston they would of taken the deal

It's hard to know what's going on behind the scene. There is too much competition right now.

If the Celtics remove Jaylen Brown from the equation or Donovan Mitchell gets traded, things should happen in a hurry.

It sounds like the Suns have put their offer on the table and are laying low to see what develops. I'm not sure the Nets are focused on Phoenix at the moment.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to know what's going on behind the scene. There is too much competition right now.

If the Celtics remove Jaylen Brown from the equation or Donovan Mitchell gets traded, things should happen in a hurry.

It sounds like the Suns have put their offer on the table and are laying low to see what develops. I'm not sure the Nets are focused on Phoenix at the moment.
Based on what Gambo said it doesn't sound like that at all. Sounds like the Suns may have put picks on the table, but no players have been offered as of yet. Which makes sense with the other rumor they are contacting other teams to see if a multi-team deal is possible. The Nets are not focused on the Suns because without a multi-team deal the Suns don't have the assets. So, the Nets might just be waiting to see if the Suns can put something together. Maybe that's what you were saying.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Ayton was huge during that playoff series. The problem is the Suns didn't have much help when Saric went down to injury.

Yeah Ayton played really well in that series the problem is Giannis is allowed to run full steam into defenders and never gets called for an offensive foul it’s comical

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh and I didn't mention it above but Gambo said he got this info directly from the Suns.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nets really digging in ...34 yr old KD will get a decent return it's not like you trading prime KD. They just seeing who bites

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets really digging in ...34 yr old KD will get a decent return it's not like you trading prime KD. They just seeing who bites
Yeah sounds like they have not held any serious talks with the Suns since they found out the Nets were not interested in Ayton. I hope the Suns either work out a multiteam trade or they move on. At this point it's getting ridiculous and preventing the Suns from moving on. I am sort of getting annoyed at Kevin Durant as well. You either want out and to play here or you don't.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Giannis was allowed to do anything he wanted. The Suns weren't allowed to touch him.
The NBA needs to do something about offensive players creating the contact, its a no call if the ball handler goes straight at you. get rid of the stupid "halo" basically means you cant play D in the paint. we dont watch or go to games to see a FT contest

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Gambo just said the Suns have made no offers to the Nets for specific players in a KD trade. The talks have not progressed that far. He said each time the Suns have talked to the Nets, they said "you don't have enough to trade for him". So, this is in direct contradiction to some insiders. The only player on the team that the Suns had specific offer discussions surrounded Ayton. So, what he is saying POST Ayton discussions the Suns have made zero offers naming specific players.
Good, the longer this has gone on and the more i think about gutting the young talent and having no future chips in draft or trades causes pause for me. KD is no the wrong side of 30 let alone 33. Let it get ugly for the Nets/KD and see if the price drops. Part of me wants to run it back to give these guys a shot of redemption for last year. Need another ball handler/shot creator in the back court

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking back, a lot of big trades don't happen until near the trade deadline. The same could happen with Durant unless the Nets don't want to risk injury or him losing value for whatever reason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA needs to do something about offensive players creating the contact, its a no call if the ball handler goes straight at you. get rid of the stupid "halo" basically means you cant play D in the paint. we dont watch or go to games to see a FT contest

If the referees had let the players play inside in the 2021 Finals like in the 2022 Finals, it would have been a much closer series. Referees mostly swallowed their whistle for fouls committed inside in the last Finals.

Giannis was allowed to attack the basket at will and was rewarded for these tactics with free throws. The Suns didn't have another inside defender of note beyond Ayton. The Celtics-Warriors series seemed like a 3-point shooting contest.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
The Finals between the Warriors and Celtics was the most physical Finals in recent memory.

I can't help but wonder if the NBA is headed this direction again.

Although fouls are readily called outside, players in the interior were often mugged without a call. We may see more of this. It's almost like the NBA is encouraging more 3-point shooting.
Yeah Mainstreet. The today's NBA seems to encourage scoring over defense to make it more exciting for the fans probably. I personally don't like today's flopping and offensive players running over the defense then getting rewarded with free throws, the letting of some of the so called superstars running over the defense player without a foul being called & no names mention though haha, the step back and sliding traveling of the so called Euro Step. All the 3 point shooting is cool but the old hard-nosed defense, rebounding, the calling of real fouls, and hustle is my preference. That would be real competition.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the referees had let the players play inside in the 2021 Finals like in the 2022 Finals, it would have been a much closer series. Referees mostly swallowed their whistle for fouls committed inside in the last Finals.

Giannis was allowed to attack the basket at will and was rewarded for these tactics with free throws. The Suns didn't have another inside defender of note beyond Ayton. The Celtics-Warriors series seemed like a 3-point shooting contest.
They do what they always do. They adjust to the Stars on the court. They were never going to foul out Giannis. They were never going to foul out Shaq. They are never going to foul out Jordon or Steph. It's the way the Finals always plays out. Your other players better step up because those guys are not fouling out of very many games in a Finals run.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on what Gambo said it doesn't sound like that at all. Sounds like the Suns may have put picks on the table, but no players have been offered as of yet. Which makes sense with the other rumor they are contacting other teams to see if a multi-team deal is possible. The Nets are not focused on the Suns because without a multi-team deal the Suns don't have the assets. So, the Nets might just be waiting to see if the Suns can put something together. Maybe that's what you were saying.
Yep. Make the Nets ask for players, don't offer them. That way Mikal, Cam etc don't feel like they are being shopped.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Make the Nets ask for players, don't offer them. That way Mikal, Cam etc don't feel like they are being shopped.
Exactly. It's very smart and calculated by the Suns. No matter what happens they can say to the player "we never offered you in a trade".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson