The Durant Sweepstakes

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo thinks it's unlikely the Nets would trade Durant to the rival Celtics.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yep, he was saying that on the radio last week as well. Why would you trade a guy to a division rival that could haunt you for years to come?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro thinks it's unlikely the Nets would trade Durant to the rival Celtics.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I just don’t see the Nets cutting out FD their nose to spite their face if Brown is on the table and they pass for a lesser deal because it will also help the Celtics.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, he was saying that on the radio last week as well. Why would you trade a guy to a division rival that could haunt you for years to come?

I wouldn't argue with the logic but at some point a trade offer becomes too good to refuse.

If the Celtics do that trade, they may be competing with the Nets in the East sooner than they think.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't argue with the logic but at some point a trade offer becomes too good to refuse.

If the Celtics do that trade, they may be competing with the Nets in the East sooner than they think.
You just don't see trades very often in your own division no matter how good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t see the Nets cutting out FD their nose to spite their face if Brown is on the table and they pass for a lesser deal because it will also help the Celtics.

If I were the Nets, I'd do they hypothetical trade in a millisecond and not look back.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's hard to believe the Celtics would offer up Jaylen Brown in trade. I view him as untouchable.
We are talking about KD - he is inarguably a top 3 player in the league.

Nobody thinks Jalen Brown is a top 3 player, nobody thinks he is even a top 10 player. I get he is younger, but Boston just missed winning the title, if that is their only goal the trade makes sense.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were the Nets, I'd do they hypothetical trade in a millisecond and not look back.
Except all the rumors have been the Nets are desperately looking for a huge haul in picks because of all the picks they have traded away. So, it's not just about Brown. If they are going through a major rebuild that's exactly what they need over the next several seasons.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is a month old rumor apparently, and the Nets won't do it. That tells us a couple things right? If KD were amenable to going to Boston, wouldn't this be done? Brown + trumps anything else that has been discussed.

Either Brooklyn is expecting the sun, moon, and the stars, or KD said Suns or bust.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are talking about KD - he is inarguably a top 3 player in the league.

Nobody thinks Jalen Brown is a top 3 player, nobody thinks he is even a top 10 player. I get he is younger, but Boston just missed winning the title, if that is their only goal the trade makes sense.

Durant is going to be 34 in September. Who would you rather have, Durant or Jaylen Brown?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except all the rumors have been the Nets are desperately looking for a huge haul in picks because of all the picks they have traded away. So, it's not just about Brown. If they are going through a major rebuild that's exactly what they need over the next several seasons.

If the Nets can get a star player and picks for Durant, it's a no-brainer for me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a month old rumor apparently, and the Nets won't do it. That tells us a couple things right? If KD were amenable to going to Boston, wouldn't this be done? Brown + trumps anything else that has been discussed.

Either Brooklyn is expecting the sun, moon, and the stars, or KD said Suns or bust.
Just because they haven't done it yet, does not mean they won't do it.

It is in their best interest to wait and get the best possible offer. Of course they are going to ask for the moon and the stars - it's called negotiating.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Of course - but so far they haven't, and now that info is public.
It is in their best interest to wait and get the best possible offer.
Here's the thing though - waiting doesn't always produce better offers! What if KD decides to start causing trouble? Do you think the price tag will remain the same?
Of course they are going to ask for the moon and the stars - it's called negotiating.
Unrealistic expectations can make a very bad negotiator - Marks could overplay his hand here, and end up with a much worse deal than what was being discussed earlier in the summer.

There is no heat on the situation right now because we're in the deadest part of the NBA calendar year - we'll see what KD ends up going for, but I'd be surprised if it's much better than Brown +.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Nets can get a star player and picks for Durant, it's a no-brainer for me.
Boston doesn't have the picks the Nets want. All those picks are going to be later in the draft because Boston is going to be good for a very long time. That's what would complicate a trade like that. You would have to get a 3rd team involved willing to give up a ton of picks and KD would be going to Boston. So, another team is not going to give up a ton of picks if they are not getting KD.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It is in their best interest to wait and get the best possible offer. Of course they are going to ask for the moon and the stars - it's called negotiating.

When does the entire league move on from trying to acquire KD? Seems like the nets are only digging themselves deeper here, other league execs must be frustrated by this and also the players dont want be there or play there. They're almost in a no win situation, but that Celtic deal seemed like the best one that we know about.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston doesn't have the picks the Nets want. All those picks are going to be later in the draft because Boston is going to be good for a very long time. That's what would complicate a trade like that. You would have to get a 3rd team involved willing to give up a ton of picks and KD would be going to Boston. So, another team is not going to give up a ton of picks if they are not getting KD.

The way I look at it, once I get a star in a trade for a soon to be 34 year old player and perhaps Derrick White, I'm not going to get picky about where the first round picks land.

White could be worth a couple of first round picks to the right team.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Some of ya'll are too obsessed with this guy
Who's obsessed? I think it's annoying that he keeps hedging this and people keep buying it. If he's right, great. If not, I hope he stops spiking the ball at the 10 yard line

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The information contained in the last paragraph of this article must goad the Nets.

Adrian Wojnarowski Senior NBA Insider:

The Celtics defeated the Nets 4-0 in an Eastern Conference first-round playoff series last season and built the core of their current team, in part, from the draft compensation from a 2013 trade that sent Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Nets. Both Tatum and Brown were acquired through Brooklyn picks delivered to Boston.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think they are clearly demanding the sun, moon, stars and more. They supposedly want more unprotected draft picks than were in the Gobert trade plus they want a young all star level player and another up and coming star.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are clearly demanding the sun, moon, stars and more. They supposedly want more unprotected draft picks than were in the Gobert trade plus they want a young all star level player and another up and coming star.
I have a feeling this is going to get ugly as the approach of the season starts. I could easily see Durant not showing up for any of the Nets pre-season activities. At the very least that would likely force the Nets to come down from the asking price.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is going to get ugly as the approach of the season starts. I could easily see Durant not showing up for any of the Nets pre-season activities. At the very least that would likely force the Nets to come down from the asking price.
I suspect that the Nets will make another push to try and appease KD enough to get him to stay in Brooklyn. Maybe if the Gobert deal hadn't happened right after KD's request a deal could have been reached but understandably from the Nets point of view if Rudy is worth all that, KD must be worth much more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let's not spoil the Nets. They are used to getting their way.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort