Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to prepare for contingencies, and if you know about it before the draft, yeah, you have to make moves to be prepared. If the guy can't give you an answer, prepare for the worst.

How? You can't sign someone else to start until you know for sure what Hudson is doing. Both because he might decide to come back and you burnt a load of money on Tretter. And because until Hudson retires and free's up the cap space we don't have much money.

Also, nobody of starter level would sign until they know what was happening with Hudson.

If there is any criticism to be raised you can say the FO should have set a deadline for a decision, but then maybe they have.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think this came up earlier in the thread that it sounded like the team might have asked him to take a paycut and now he's sore about it.
Why not alienate 40% of your critical offensive line pieces, in an offseason where you have plenty of cap space, and the ability to create more with ease?

At least we have plenty of depth/replacement solutions!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
How? You can't sign someone else to start until you know for sure what Hudson is doing. Both because he might decide to come back and you burnt a load of money on Tretter.
As if Tretter were the only option!
And because until Hudson retires and free's up the cap space we don't have much money.
You know perfectly well there are plenty of ways this team can clear up money. THEY DON'T WANT TO.
Also, nobody of starter level would sign until they know what was happening with Hudson.

We literally brought Price in. (but didn't sign him)

If there is any criticism to be raised you can say the FO should have set a deadline for a decision, but then maybe they have.
Aren't you the guy always banging on people for alleged "speculation"?

There is no doubt that what we were expecting with Hudson and what we've gotten have been two very different things. Between his bad snaps, his injuries, his diminished play, there are a lot of signals that he could potentially want out, which would be an absolute disaster on many levels.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Journalistic integrity is 'break news' when you have it before someone else scoops you.

Your last sentence indicates that they simply don't know - ergo: nothing to report.

You can be certain that the national reporters, whose bread isn't buttered by the Cards, would have no problem going public with this if it could be reasonably confirmed.

The first person that would know if he is retiring or not is Hudson's agent. I find it hard to believe some local blogger like Chuck Harris has the scoop from any source above scout when all the big media names, who are trading favors with agents constantly for news, have nothing.

I'm not even saying he's not retiring. He may well be. I just don't think anything Chuck Harris say's should be taken as gospel.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So your solution is to...what? How should people discuss this issue? What is the @QuebecCard mandated guide to posting on an internet forum? It's funny how the board police try to tell posters how they should post.

So, here you go. I believe the FO is not handling this situation well. Go ahead and tell me I'm not allowed to believe that, or my opinion doesn't matter about it lol

"I believe the FO is not handling this situation well"

Based on absolutely nothing except some tweets by nobodies and 30 pages of wild conjecture.

Do you not think that if Hudson was considering retirement, and he'd strongly indicated he was going to retire, that the FO would not have signed someone with only Harlow on the roster?

What seems more likely? That Keim knows Hudson is retiring and is doing nothing about it or that Hudson either isn't retiring or is very undecided so Keim can't do anything?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A bigger macro point. For the "you don't know crowd", if speculation was not part of our conversations, this would be a pretty boring board as the news would be very limited. It is not far off from questioning a poster's fandom.

If the convo was about Kyler retiring if he didn't get an extension, you would have solid ground to ridicule whomever was posting that. But the possible Hudson retirement and our lack of options if he does is far from ridiculous when you consider all of his reported absences and a few marketing images.

I have zero problem with speculation. That's all part of the board. That's not what I've taken issue with. But there are dozen's of statements that have nothing to do with speculation on whether Hudson is retiring or not, but make statements about the after effects of Hudson's retirement or make criticism of the FO/franchise for the handling of it.

That's exactly what Walter used to do. Create a narrative, based on nothing except his own imagination, then repeat it over and over again as if it's fact. Until others start repeating it as if it's fact.

I'm not trying to police anyone, in fact my first post on this was a simple "Just a reminder that we don't know anything and this is all based off a couple of tweets by a nobody". But some people decided that was too much for them to bear.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
"I believe the FO is not handling this situation well"

Based on absolutely nothing except some tweets by nobodies and 30 pages of wild conjecture.

Do you not think that if Hudson was considering retirement, and he'd strongly indicated he was going to retire, that the FO would not have signed someone with only Harlow on the roster?

What seems more likely? That Keim knows Hudson is retiring and is doing nothing about it or that Hudson either isn't retiring or is very undecided so Keim can't do anything?
To answer your first question: No, I am not confident they would have done so.

To answer your second question: Keim doesn't have a good track record filling critical positions, so I do have doubts he would take adequate action, and that's not even including the fact that Pugh is cross-training at C.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero problem with speculation. That's all part of the board. That's not what I've taken issue with. But there are dozen's of statements that have nothing to do with speculation on whether Hudson is retiring or not, but make statements about the after effects of Hudson's retirement or make criticism of the FO/franchise for the handling of it.

That's exactly what Walter used to do. Create a narrative, based on nothing except his own imagination, then repeat it over and over again as if it's fact. Until others start repeating it as if it's fact.

I'm not trying to police anyone, in fact my first post on this was a simple "Just a reminder that we don't know anything and this is all based off a couple of tweets by a nobody". But some people decided that was too much for them to bear.
Except that is not really what was done here. Links from the official AZCardinals website wasn't a reputable source for you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

And if Hudson had reported to either vol team workouts and mandatory mini-camp, it would be baseless speculation but that isn't the case here.

The tweets by the nobody are just another person putting the same pieces together that the rest of us are.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
or make criticism of the FO/franchise for the handling of it.
We gave up a 3rd round pick and a brand new extension to Hudson, who is now seriously contemplating retirement.

As an overall pick, it makes zero sense to target a guy that doesn't like to snap in the shotgun. How do you not know that before acquiring him?!? The Cards were 2nd most in shotgun in all of football, 87% of the time!

We'll see how things play out, but there is plenty of reason for concern on the offensive line, both in the short and long term. That's 100% on the FO.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Most national guys aren't going to report a guy is retired until he says he is going to retire. Scheft reported on Brady...which Brady denied...and then retired...and then un-retired. It isn't like a trade or a FA signing where being first matters as much. A lot of being a national guy is having sources trust you...and they aren't going to trust you if you are putting out BS. Hudson isn't moving the needle that it is worth getting wrong.
In other words, nothing to report as is the case with local news sources but all and sundry are free to speculate and reach conclusions unsupported by any actual fact.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We gave up a 3rd round pick and a brand new extension to Hudson, who is now seriously contemplating retirement.

As an overall pick, it makes zero sense to target a guy that doesn't like to snap in the shotgun. How do you not know that before acquiring him?!? The Cards were 2nd most in shotgun in all of football, 87% of the time!

We'll see how things play out, but there is plenty of reason for concern on the offensive line, both in the short and long term. That's 100% on the FO.

Is there someone that could be considered as 'in the know' (agent, FO, coach, best friend, etc.) who has clearly stated that Hudson is 'seriously' considering retirement?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Is there someone that could be considered as 'in the know' (agent, FO, coach, best friend, etc.) who has clearly stated that Hudson is 'seriously' considering retirement?
Are you just not reading this article? I'm starting to feel like this is a joke:

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/rodney-hudson-absent-justin-pugh-may-be-cardinals-center

This is an article from state TV that's literal headline is "Rodney Hudson Absent, So Justin Pugh May Be Cardinals Center"

followed by:

"With one veteran a question mark, another puts off retirement in return"

(hint - the question mark is Hudson!)

Kingsbury declined to get into details about why Hudson was missing, only saying the sides were "working through something."

Pugh is close with Hudson, having him at his bachelor party and wedding this offseason. But he said he doesn't talk football with his teammate, and whatever Hudson and the team are discussing now is "above my paygrade."

"Now the Cardinals and Pugh will see if he is at left guard or perhaps center, as the Hudson situation plays out."

It's a situation - this isn't idle speculation from a random tweeter. This is from Darren Urban!

What do you think they're discussing?!? His locker room location? Whether the dress is yellow or blue?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are you just not reading this article? I'm starting to feel like this is a joke:

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/rodney-hudson-absent-justin-pugh-may-be-cardinals-center

This is an article from state TV that's literal headline is "Rodney Hudson Absent, So Justin Pugh May Be Cardinals Center"

followed by:

Kingsbury declined to get into details about why Hudson was missing, only saying the sides were "working through something."

Pugh is close with Hudson, having him at his bachelor party and wedding this offseason. But he said he doesn't talk football with his teammate, and whatever Hudson and the team are discussing now is "above my paygrade."

"Now the Cardinals and Pugh will see if he is at left guard or perhaps center, as the Hudson situation plays out."

It's a situation - this isn't idle speculation from a random tweeter. This is from Darren Urban!

What do you think they're discussing?!? His locker room location? Whether the dress is yellow or blue?

I have no idea what's on Hudson's mind and what is being discussed, and even his good friend Pugh won't speculate.

There's an issue is all I know, and it's all you know.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

followed by:

The word 'seriously' isn't in the article. It must not be accurate...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it plausible to consider that due to us being Shotgun heavy he wishes to be traded (rather than retire) and the team are working through options of where/what that deal looks like?
Sure, why not?

No less plausible than what we have heard so far. I hope that is not the case though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a better scenario than him retiring if we can get a useful O line player in return, actually any decent player is probably advantageous to him retiring for nothing.
Or the player phoning it in because they don't really want to be here...

Reaction score

followed by:

Whether or not he's going to snap out of the shotgun. :shrug:

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Attachments

• Lincoln.jpg
    Lincoln.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 8

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard