The Durant Sweepstakes

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton is far too honest for his own good.

The video game quote was bad, especially coming out right at the end of the year, even worse was him questioning how guys stay motivated after they get paid, his agent probably had to go on blood thinners after that one.
Some of the things he’s said even dating back to pre-draft comments makes me think he’s happy-go-lucky to a fault. Not sure if it’s an awareness thing or he’s just still a kid in a grown man’s profession.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of the things he’s said even dating back to pre-draft comments makes me think he’s happy-go-lucky to a fault. Not sure if it’s an awareness thing or he’s just still a kid in a grown man’s profession.

Yeah, on a positive note that type of personality will probably allow for him to forgive and forget, on the chance we end up bringing him back next season.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Seems odd.
You have a #1 pick and do NOTHING but misplay him and let things slip out like he's soft, plays video games too late, only wants money and may have beef with the coach etc..

Now our front office is sitting here wondering why his value is ****.
You know exactly why no one wants him YOU DID THIS.
So sit in that bathtub full of **** and deal with it.
Our front office is Wide Open ASS.
The Suns coddled the soccer player who plays basketball. FACT DA is soft with a low BB IQ. DA had all of last year to play for a contract extension and did not change. Pretty sure coaches and players got tired of preaching, hoping he could see the light

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns coddled the soccer player who plays basketball. FACT DA is soft with a low BB IQ. DA had all of last year to play for a contract extension and did not change. Pretty sure coaches and players got tired of preaching, hoping he could see the light

I think basketball IQ is the least of Ayton's problems. He might be the best big in the entire league at defending inside and out and his offensive talents are vast. His problem is he lacks aggression and motivation.

If he enjoyed running over little guys like Shaq or Embiid, he would be a truly elite talent, but instead he gets matched up against a weaker player and plays down to their level, meanwhile he can utterly dominate a player like Towns.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones did not draft Ayton, Sarver and his UofA ties probably did

While that is somewhat true, Jones was with Sarver on the secret scouting trip to see Doncic play. McDonough was not invited since he wanted Doncic

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I think basketball IQ is the least of Ayton's problems. He might be the best big in the entire league at defending inside and out and his offensive talents are vast. His problem is he lacks aggression and motivation.

If he enjoyed running over little guys like Shaq or Embiid, he would be a truly elite talent, but instead he gets matched up against a weaker player and plays down to their level, meanwhile he can utterly dominate a player like Towns.
DA cannot create off the dribble, his low post back to the basket is sorry and is unable to get to the line - does not sound "vast"

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Hes affable and immature at the same time

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones did not draft Ayton, Sarver and his UofA ties probably did

James Jones was on staff at the time. How much he was involved in draft decisions we don't know.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton signs an offer sheet today at least we know the "sweepstakes" are over. The Suns don't have enough to trade for KD straight up. How jacked would it be if the Suns let Ayton walk for nothing and we don't get KD? Disaster wouldn't begin to describe our offseason. I think the Suns would match before they let him walk but still....hypothetically.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton sign an offer sheet today at least we know the "sweepstakes" are over. The Suns don't have enough to trade for KD straight up. How jacked would it be if the Suns let Ayton walk for nothing and we don't get KD? Disaster wouldn't begin to describe our offseason. I think the Suns would match before they let him walk but still.
Offseason disaster for me would be meeting the Nets reported price for Durant. All the other negative outcomes fall in the disappointment category for me. Although letting Ayton walk for nothing would mostly just be stupid. With our window, if we can't keep DA it's imperative we at least use his salary to try and get something of value.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offseason disaster for me would be meeting the Nets reported price for Durant. All the other negative outcomes fall in the disappointment category for me. Although letting Ayton walk for nothing would mostly just be stupid. With our window, if we can't keep DA it's imperative we at least use his salary to try and get something of value.
It's out of the Suns hands (trade) if he signs an offer sheet. The Suns either have to let him walk or keep him. They can't entertain trading him again until Dec 15.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, I still think him signing an offer sheet is a disaster no matter what. If the Suns keep him or let him walk? The Suns lose a ton of opportunity to improve this team. Ayton is the only assets that could help us massively improve the team. So, even taking KD out of the equation? It would suck.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That’s always been my impression of him. I’ve always liked him as a person even as I tear my hair out watching him sometimes.
He's just a big dumb puppy...can't get too mad at that, even when his profligacy is putting us in a very precarious spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's just a big dumb puppy...can't get too mad at that, even when his profligacy is putting us in a very precarious spot.

If Ayton wasn't the overall #1 draft pick I think fans would be a lot more patient. I think he wants to be good but the maturity is not there yet. It's a lot better than a player who doesn't care.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton wasn't the overall #1 draft pick I think fans would be a lot more patient. I think he wants to be good but the maturity is not there yet. It's a lot better than a player who doesn't care.
It's not just that. If Ayton was projected to be a generational player, was a consensus #1, and looked like he was headed there I think fans would be more patient. I don't think it's as simple as it being just because he was the #1. Many fans don't think he ever reaches the expectations that come with a #1 overall pick verses it being just about patience.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just that. If Ayton was projected to be a generational player, was a consensus #1, and looked like he was headed there I think fans would be more patient. I don't think it's as simple as it being just because he was the #1. Many fans don't think he ever reaches the expectations that come with a #1 overall pick verses it being just about patience.

Still I think Deandre Ayton will become a very good player.

He may not meet the expectations of a #1 pick but he did not put this on himself. The Suns were the team that selected him there. The Suns front office and fans need to accept this. They need to accept him for the player he is and will become.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still I think Deandre Ayton will become a very good player.

He may not meet the expectations of a #1 pick but he did not put this on himself. The Suns were the team that selected him there. The Suns front office and fans need to accept this and accept him for the player he is and will become.
Ayton is young. I still think he can get better. He has gotten better each season. Even though he had no control over when he was selected, his play he does have control over much of what is driving his perception.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is young. I still think he can get better. He has gotten better each season. Even though he had no control over when he was selected, his play he does have control over much of what is driving his perception.

I think most of us wish we were a complete product at 23. I'd like a chance to do things differently at that age.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose