The Durant Sweepstakes

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You’ve seen the post here with people saying they wouldn’t trade Bridges for KD.

That is ridiculous. You agree with that? I don’t
I don’t think it’s that simple. I think they’re saying if it takes Ayton and a bunch of picks and our depth they don’t want to part with bridges too. I might be wrong. But I don’t think any of them really mean they wouldn’t give up bridges for KD straight up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What can I say. You got me Mikal was clearly better than Kevin Durant

I would much rather have Bridges 9/4/3 against the Mavs. However Bridges was pretty good against Pelicans.

Durant also has the ball in his hands every single play with the defense keyed in on him.
I saw a lot of single coverage on him against Boston. And while his usage rate remained consistent, his average turnovers per game went up about 60%. The point is, on paper he just wasn't the same player as he has been in regular seasons or previous postseasons. Maybe it was Boston's defense, maybe it was frustration over Kyrie and all the team problems but even watching the game, he did not look like the same Durant to me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that simple. I think they’re saying if it takes Ayton and a bunch of picks and our depth they don’t want to part with bridges too. I might be wrong. But I don’t think any of them really mean they wouldn’t give up bridges for KD straight up.

I think Ayton is gone in a separate deal. What that deal is IDK.

I think Bridges will be the key piece in the KD trade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how I have taken MOST people responding to this scenario as well. Some of us have to point to specific comments though for that to get through. ;)

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I’m like 90a% sure CP3 is cooked.
He went what 15 of 15 or some crap against New Orleans? Takes over games..he just didn't fall off a cliff. Can he be the number 1 or 2 night in night out hell no. But you got KD and Book and maybe Bridges? CP3 will have a hell of a year....again

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He went what 15 of 15 or some crap against New Orleans? Takes over games..he just didn't fall off a cliff. Can he be the number 1 or 2 night in night out hell no. But you got KD and Book and maybe Bridges? CP3 will have a hell of a year....again
That's why I am for this trade. I mean how can you possibly stop CP3, Book and KD all at the same time? I am hoping we can replace just enough defense to keep teams honest and games close. Offensively I am salivating at what this team can do.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's the case for most of the anti-trade crowd but honestly, I've now talked myself into not being willing to trade the two guys straight up. Durant has been a much better player than Mikal and probably will still be more impactful for another year or two but I don't believe he appreciably changes our chance to win it all so I'll take Bridges career over Durant's short run with us.

If our failure was a fluke, I think stability would help us as much if not more than a step up from Mikal to late career Durant. And if it wasn't a fluke, even prime aged Durant would have trouble moving us from that debacle to the winner's circle.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think that's the case for most of the anti-trade crowd but honestly, I've now talked myself into not being willing to trade the two guys straight up. Durant has been a much better player than Mikal and probably will still be more impactful for another year or two but I don't believe he appreciably changes our chance to win it all so I'll take Bridges career over Durant's short run with us.

If our failure was a fluke, I think stability would help us as much if not more than a step up from Mikal to late career Durant. And if it wasn't a fluke, even prime aged Durant would have trouble moving us from that debacle to the winner's circle.
We part ways here. I think you’re nuts if you don’t do bridges for Durant straight up and I like bridges.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why I am for this trade. I mean how can you possibly stop CP3, Book and KD all at the same time? I am hoping we can replace just enough defense to keep teams honest and games close. Offensively I am salivating at what this team can do.

I’d lock CP3 up until the playoffs. Put him behind glass covered in bubble wrap.

If healthy CP3/Booker/Cam or Bridges/ KD is scary closing a game

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Durant is like the 2nd best player on the planet arguably the best. I'm trading Bridges and the kitchen sink for him

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We part ways here. I think you’re nuts if you don’t do bridges for Durant straight up and I like bridges.
Well, I think there's a nuance being overlooked here. IMO Durant is on the decline but even still, I accept that he's a better player than Mikal. But we aren't talking about trading a couple of years of Mikal for a couple of years of Durant. We're talking about trading probably a decade of Mikal for two years of Durant.

To make that swap, you'd have to really believe it was going to make a difference in a championship run and after re-watching 2 games from his Boston series, I don't see that happening. Unless the news comes out that he had Covid or played with a strained hamstring or something like that, I don't see Durant being a pivotal player on a championship team no matter where he lands.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's happening. Don't blink.

I wish I can leave espn on all day but my wife hates sports news

Not very long AFAIC. To me, it started with the bubble year, JJ's first season in charge. We jettisoned all the bad draft picks and started anew.

I'm not against trying to improve this team and if we were just talking 4 picks, 3 pick swaps and filler for Durant I'd be all in even though that alone is fraught with risk. But we're basically talking about immediately turning over the roster, giving up all our future assets, which would leave us with a trio of stars two of whom have expiration dates on the immediate horizon. So we're betting the house that we will roll 7, I just don't like those odds.

I know what you mean.. We are gambling and I guess I am desperate at this point. I feel the only pick we got right was Bridges and Cam Johnson. By no means am I calling Ayton a bust but like most first picks and other draft picks he hasn’t really lived up to his draft position. We just missed so much in recent years where its like man lets just try something new..

I guess my hopes of building through the draft died when we got guys like Bender, Chriss, and Josh Jackson. They all turned out to be garbage. Then I saw a little hope when we brought guys like Oubre or CP3 in and it gave us life.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think there's a nuance being overlooked here. IMO Durant is on the decline but even still, I accept that he's a better player than Mikal. But we aren't talking about trading a couple of years of Mikal for a couple of years of Durant. We're talking about trading probably a decade of Mikal for two years of Durant.

To make that swap, you'd have to really believe it was going to make a difference in a championship run and after re-watching 2 games from his Boston series, I don't see that happening. Unless the news comes out that he had Covid or played with a strained hamstring or something like that, I don't see Durant being a pivotal player on a championship team no matter where he lands.
Out of curiosity. If the team makes this move and does win a title (meaning you can see it then), in your opinion....was it worth it?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity. If the team makes this move and does win a title (meaning you can see it then), in your opinion....was it worth it?
Oh yeah, definitely. Sometimes gambles pay off. But IMO this gamble is so unlikely to pay off it's not worth the risk. However, while I'll be disappointed to see Mikal go, I won't be all that upset if it's a straight up trade even if it turns out that we don't win it all. I understand you have to take a risk now and then and a straight up deal leaves us with at least as good a chance as we would have had without the deal. But we both know that's not happening, we're going to be giving away our future too, not to mention Ayton and role players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Initially I wasn't high on the Chris Paul trade but it got the Suns to the Finals. I would have done it differently but I can't argue with results.

If a championship is the goal I think a team has to swing for the fences unless they are a big market team or have a rich owner that can regularly obtain star players.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The same with my wife. I check out twitter when I get a chance.

I am too old for Twitter. I only found out about Zelle a little while ago. My you coworkers laughed cause I told them they spend too much time on Instaface.

I just refresh the Suns section with hopes someone would make a new thread. When it happens someone better do it and not just keep it here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am too old for Twitter. I only found out about Zelle a little while ago. My you coworkers laughed cause I told them they spend too much time on Instaface.

I just refresh the Suns section with hopes someone would make a new thread. When it happens someone better do it and not just keep it here.

If it's out there someone on the Suns forum will post it. You can count on that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This is a little disingenuous. Durant is under contract for four years. Likely two big years and I’d expect two years of still competent play. And decade of bridges is conjecture. I’ll bet the number of players that spend a decade with a single team these days is REALLY small.

For me it comes down to this:

No matter how well bridges plays he’s never going to win you a championship. He won’t you lead you there. He will contribute to one, but not lead.

Durant could absolutely lead a team to a championship with guys like Booker and Paul on it.

That’s a HUGE difference.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little disingenuous. Durant is under contract for four years. Likely two big years and I’d expect two years of still competent play. And decade of bridges is conjecture. I’ll bet the number of players that spend a decade with a single team these days is REALLY small.

For me it comes down to this:

No matter how well bridges plays he’s never going to win you a championship. He won’t you lead you there. He will contribute to one, but not lead.

Durant could absolutely lead a team to a championship with guys like Booker and Paul on it.

That’s a HUGE difference.

I know I am comparing apples and oranges but the United States Olmpic Team doesn't win the gold medal without Kevin Durant.

The opposing team had no answer for him.

IMO, he could make the same difference if the Suns should make it to the Finals again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose