The Suns are meeting with NBA prospects thread. 2022

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns were at Jaden Ivey's pro-day today. He's expected to go top 5.

You can see a Suns polo in one the pics. I zoomed in and circled it.

1. Orlando
2. OKC
3. Houston
4. Sac
5. Detroit

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
If Houston offered the 3rd pick and Christian Wood or Eric Gordon...I would consider it. I'm starting to talk myself into the idea that banchero or smith are all-nba talents and will adapt quickly to the pro game. I think it would have to be. A draft day trade because while I like to chet, I don't think he will contribute as quickly

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If Houston offered the 3rd pick and Christian Wood or Eric Gordon...I would consider it. I'm starting to talk myself into the idea that banchero or smith are all-nba talents and will adapt quickly to the pro game. I think it would have to be. A draft day trade because while I like to chet, I don't think he will contribute as quickly
That would be too good to be true and impossible to pass up. I just don’t think Houston will ever offer that.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Can't miss prospect like Josh Jackson.

I was so wrong about him.

I do think Paolo has a lot more skills that translate to the NBA than Josh Jackson. He's got better handle, a better shot, he's a better passer and a lot better size.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire draft changed with the news that Shareef O'Neal is draft eligible and working out for teams.

Sure he could barely get on the court at UCLA and LSU but he's got some cool dunks.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Three guys I am high on in mid / late first & second round:
PG Ty Ty Washington - Local kid who is skilled and athletic
PF Michael Foster - Explosive athlete who score, rebound, defend and handle the ball.
PF / SF EJ Liddell - OSU's Mr. Everything.

I am not trading Ayton, Foster / Liddell would be replacing Crowder. Hoping we can buy a couple of picks. We can create some room by renouncing Holiday and using expiring contracts (Saric, Craig, Crowder).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Joe Gambadoro just said his sources have the Suns trying to obtain a pick in the draft. Likely a high two. He also said the Suns cpuld then take that pick plus a future draft pick, or that pick plus a player and move up in the draft if they can find a willing team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Gambadoro just said his sources have the Suns trying to obtain a pick in the draft. Likely a high two. He also said the Suns cpuld then take that pick plus a future draft pick, or that pick plus a player and move up in the draft if they can find a willing team.
Way to go out on a limb, there, John....

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PF Michael Foster - Explosive athlete who score, rebound, defend and handle the ball.

I am not trading Ayton, Foster / Liddell would be replacing Crowder. Hoping we can buy a couple of picks. We can create some room by renouncing Holiday and using expiring contracts (Saric, Craig, Crowder).

I do like Ty Ty the one concern I have on him is he has sort of a "weird" body he looks like he could very easily have weight problems when he gets older he has a lower body that just looks like he's out of shape. Very good passing feel and has a nice shot.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

EJ Liddell looks good to me as a Millsap type player who can play the 3 and 4 and has enough mass to hold his own against taller players. He looks ready to contribute out of the gates and a potentially perfect Crowder replacement.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again anyone we take that deep in the draft will play 30 seconds during the last game of the season.
What's the point in having the deepest team in the league if we don't use it to our advantage?

We need 5 non injury prone Stars on the team to fit Montes style. And of course some random backups for them for when Monte gets in a tiff.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again anyone we take that deep in the draft will play 30 seconds during the last game of the season.
What's the point in having the deepest team in the league if we don't use it to our advantage?

We need 5 non injury prone Stars on the team to fit Montes style. And of course some random backups for them for when Monte gets in a tiff.

If you look at the teams in the Finals and even the conference finals, you'll see a lot of late first and 2nd round players who are contributing and doing so at a very low cost. Some have moved on to their second contract already but the point remains. These players are vital to contending with a punitive luxury tax in place. Herb Jones (a quintessential James Jones player) was available with the Suns pick that was traded for Shamet. You're not going to hit anywhere near 100% on these players, but if you bring in a couple every year and hit on 30-50%, they help significantly. Selling the picks or trading them for marginal bench talent that costs 3X more kills you.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at the teams in the Finals and even the conference finals, you'll see a lot of late first and 2nd round players who are contributing and doing so at a very low cost. Some have moved on to their second contract already but the point remains. These players are vital to contending with a punitive luxury tax in place. Herb Jones (a quintessential James Jones player) was available with the Suns pick that was traded for Shamet. You're not going to hit anywhere near 100% on these players, but if you bring in a couple every year and hit on 30-50%, they help significantly. Selling the picks or trading them for marginal bench talent that costs 3X more kills you.

I agree but the Suns have been horrible finding 2nd round players since they drafted Goran Dragic.

IMO, every penny invested in scouting is worth it.

The Heat are always finding diamonds in the rough including undrafted free agents.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been a long time moronic position by Suns management that lower draft picks have no value. I think that template was set under D'Antoni who hated rookies of any kind, and Sarver has just kind of gone along with it all these years because it saved him some money.

And all of this in spite of quality players the Suns themselves have found in late picks like Dragic and Gortat... or that other teams did using the picks the Suns gifted to them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been a long time moronic position by Suns management that lower draft picks have no value. I think that template was set under D'Antoni who hated rookies of any kind, and Sarver has just kind of gone along with it all these years because it saved him some money.

And all of this in spite of quality players the Suns themselves have found in late picks like Dragic and Gortat... or that other teams did using the picks the Suns gifted to them.

In 2018 the Suns could have drafted Jalen Brunson, Mitchell Robinson, Gary Trent Jr. or De'Anthony Melton in the 2nd round instead of Elie Okobo.

Of course the Suns had another opportunity to keep Melton but traded him away.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2018 the Suns could have drafted Jalen Brunson, Mitchell Robinson, Gary Trent Jr. or De'Anthony Melton in the 2nd round instead of Elie Okobo.

Of course the Suns had another opportunity to keep Melton but traded him away.
I don't recall the specifics but I remember it being pointed out when we got him that we likely wouldn't be able to keep him. In a situation similar to what Indiana will face with Jalen Smith, all other teams were allowed to offer him more than what we were allowed to.

He ended up signing for almost 9 million per for 4 years which was well beyond what we could have offered him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the specifics but I remember it being pointed out when we got him that we likely wouldn't be able to keep him. In a situation similar to what Indiana will face with Jalen Smith, all other teams were allowed to offer him more than what we were allowed to.

He ended up signing for almost 9 million per for 4 years which was well beyond what we could have offered him.

You're right. Memphis had cap space to use so they didn't have an issue. We only would have had early bird rights because of how his contract was structured as a 2nd round pick. Basically if he played well, odds of retaining him were slim to none without having cap space so trading him wasn't a bad move.

He also started a lot here. We put a lot into his development but saw none of the rewards. That was an organizational misstep but I feel that's been cleared up more with Monty and JJ being on similar pages rather than JJ working with Igor, who was a McD choice.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Keegan Murray a lot, he does everything and does it all well. Guy can score inside and out and he is aggressive on offense. He's also able to defend all over the court.

If Ayton had to go, he'd be a player I'd be pretty content to land. He miiiiiight still be on the board at 5 when Detroit picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I mostly remember Melton being a part of the Josh Jackson trade with Memphis. The Grizzlies wanted him to be included.

James Jones was in rebuild mode at the time so the Suns were not overly picky in getting deals done. I liked Melton more than Carter but a lot of fans were high on Jevon.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mostly remember Melton being a part of the Josh Jackson trade with Memphis. The Grizzlies wanted him to be included.

James Jones was in rebuild mode at the time so the Suns were not overly picky in getting deals done. I liked Melton more than Carter but a lot of fans were high on Jevon.
Carter was more ready but very limited long term. Melton showed potential but we knew we probably couldn't re-sign him so yeah, we included him in that deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter was more ready but very limited long term. Melton showed potential but we knew we probably couldn't re-sign him so yeah, we included him in that deal.

This trade reminded me a bit of when the Suns traded TJ Warren to the Pacers and added the 32nd pick. It appeared like a bad trade at the time. Now it looks like a good trade.

James Jones wanted his players in place as soon as possible when he took over as GM. The 32nd pick was sweetener to get the deal done. That's the way I looked at the Suns trading Melton.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose