Suns Off-season Thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton and Dejounte Murray would be the Spurs ticket to relevancy while the Suns try to build around Devin Booker... again.

Chris Paul may well be gone after the season.

Don't trade stars unless you can get a star or potential star in return.

I think Murray is the best young guard in basketball yup better than Ja.

Him and Ayton on the pick and roll could be deadly for years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading a potential star seldom works. But if we're forced to move him, I like the suggested San Antonio deal as long as it includes a top 10 pick. If we trade DA, we're getting less than equal value no matter who we deal with IMO.

I don't know what goes on behind closed doors but based on what I know, I think the Suns should keep Ayton and if it doesn't work out, trade him later.

If James Jones had kept and developed Jalen Smith maybe I would have more confidence. His option wouldn't have cost much more than Torrey Craig's salary.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
KD is about the best we can hope for at this point. All these 3 nickels for a quarter trade make me sick - they never work.

Book at super max too, yuck.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton and Dejounte Murray would be the Spurs ticket to relevancy while the Suns try to build around Devin Booker... again.

DA isn't a star - he could be, he should be, and he's not too far away from it. But he's not a star.

Ayton is looking to be paid like a superstar and I guess there are concerns about his work ethic. If it were my decision, I'd take the chance and re-sign him, IMO there's greater chance of success with him than without him. But it's a gamble either way.

And very few of these trade possibilites are being discussed by posters that actually want to make that deal, or any deal involving DA. If we're at the point where moving him is inevitable, it's about recouping as much as possible from a fairly weak position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Murray is the best young guard in basketball yup better than Ja.

Him and Ayton on the pick and roll could be deadly for years.

When I begin to wonder if the Spurs young core would be better than the Suns core then I want to say stop.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
As much as I think Durant was a weenie for going to GS to win titles, if he pushed his way out and we had to trade Ayton, I’d figure out how to do this with Brooklyn first and foremost.

Although… I don’t think salaries could even match up there with the 19 million Buck restriction, right?

But a go for it for 2 more years run built around

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Durant
Some Kind Of Interior Defender (signed with the MLE)

would at least be interesting enough for me to wrap my head around having any excitement going into next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DA isn't a star - he could be, he should be, and he's not too far away from it. But he's not a star.

Ayton is looking to be paid like a superstar and I guess there are concerns about his work ethic. If it were my decision, I'd take the chance and re-sign him, IMO there's greater chance of success with him than without him. But it's a gamble either way.

And very few of these trade possibilites are being discussed by posters that actually want to make that deal, or any deal involving DA. If we're at the point where moving him is inevitable, it's about recouping as much as possible from a fairly weak position.

Ayton is as close to a star as the Suns are going to get for awhile unless James Jones has something brewing we don't know about. The Suns can still trade Ayton later and probably get a better return.

If he can't draft well at 10, I'm not sure he can draft well at 9.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is as close to a star as the Suns are going to get for awhile unless James Jones has something brewing we don't know about. The Suns can still trade Ayton later and probably get a better return.

If he can't draft well at 10, I'm not sure he can draft well at 9.

It’s just the term “max” that gets guys. Look up guys getting paid 25-30 million a year there’s a lot of decent guys getting paid that much some stars but some not

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much as I think Durant was a weenie for going to GS to win titles, if he pushed his way out and we had to trade Ayton, I’d figure out how to do this with Brooklyn first and foremost.

Although… I don’t think salaries could even match up there with the 19 million Buck restriction, right?

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Durant

would at least be interesting enough for me to wrap my head around having any excitement going into next season.

I’d take Kyrie over Paul instead of KD over Ayton

I think Paul is absolutely DONE.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Durant

If the alternative is trading DA for 50 cents on the dollar, why not? KD would keep us relevant, and we'd get some decent ring chaser to play at center.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like the Suns want a #2 to be their #1 and a #3 to be their #2. We simply can't have Booker/Ayton being the two top paid guys and build a sustainable title contending team around that unless we plan on getting lucky landing a "Paul" over and over. We need someone better than Ayton to be a star next to Book if we are going to pay out another top league salary.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Durant

I would do this deal as well (figure out how to make the money work). Kyrie will never be a player you can rely on because of his vaccination stance. If I was KD I would want out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like the Suns want a #2 to be their #1 and a #3 to be their #2. We simply can't have Booker/Ayton being the two top paid guys and build a sustainable title contending team around that unless we plan on getting lucky landing a "Paul" over and over. We need someone better than Ayton to be a star next to Book if we are going to pay out another top league salary.
In a perfect world, yes, you'd want a better top pairing than Booker/Ayton but look around the league at how many teams there are that are in even worse shape. It's not easy to get a true franchice player, let alone a very good player like Devin or two way big man with the untapped potential DA has.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a perfect world, yes, you'd want a better top pairing than Booker/Ayton but look around the league at how many teams there are that are in even worse shape. It's not easy to get a true franchice player, let alone a very good player like Devin or two way big man with the untapped potential DA has.
Didn't say it was. However, I just don't see how strapping yourself with Booker/Ayton's salary and forever limiting your team helps either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like just the opposite. The Suns not wanting to MAX out Ayton says to me they know Book as a 1 and Ayton as a 2 MAX isn’t going to lead to a title and that this off-season will be short term pain for long term gain.

And I think they’re kinda screwed either way. But I think they’re more screwed dealing Ayton from a position of weakness this off-season as opposed to matching whatever offer sheet he gets and trading him down the line.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't say it was. However, I just don't see how strapping yourself with Booker/Ayton's salary and forever limiting your team helps either.
I'm not concerned about the burden of Booker/Ayton's salary. To me, the killer is solely the Supermax for Devin. But what are our options? Do we trade the best player we've had in a Suns uniform since Steve Nash?

It's tough to justify giving up a guy that has been the face of the franchise for several years and is only now about to entire his prime. I don't have the answer.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like just the opposite. The Suns not wanting to MAX out Ayton says to me they know Book as a 1 and Ayton as a 2 MAX isn’t going to lead to a title and that this off-season will be short term pain for long term gain.

And I think they’re kinda screwed either way. But I think they’re more screwed dealing Ayton from a position of weakness this off-season as opposed to matching whatever offer sheet he gets and trading him down the line.

I’d rather sign him and deal him at the deadline. We will have way more options

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once they are under contract they can always be moved. There both still really young also
Ayton yes, a supermaxed Booker not so much. It can be done but your options are limited and most of the times it's a problem for problem trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Rarely happens. Find me some examples where it wasn’t a pupu player for a star. In order for it to be star for star you have to have two disgruntled stars.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d rather sign him and deal him at the deadline. We will have way more options
I thought there was a tough salary matching issue when you try to trade a max player during his first year on a contract?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard