Arizona Cardinals offseason thread 2022

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There are a lot of if’s (can Moore take next step, can someone else fill Edmonds role, who takes moore’s old production?), but if they’re answered in the affirmative I agree. Still lots of if’s.

And I definitely would’ve inquired about cooks.
Always lots of ifs.

Always.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
two stats that point the way:

the first:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

said differently: defenses played two high safeties lots against the Cards -- and the Cards ran into it. So far so good.

the problem: even with scrambles, they only averaged 4.2 yards a carry -- bottom third in the league.

until the Card offense can make teams pay for playing light boxes, the passing game will see teams play coverage heavy defenses.

If I had to pick one thing that explains the offensive problems the last third of the season: this is the one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

the first:

said differently: defenses played two high safeties lots against the Cards -- and the Cards ran into it. So far so good.

the problem: even with scrambles, they only averaged 4.2 yards a carry -- bottom third in the league.

until the Card offense can make teams pay for playing light boxes, the passing game will see teams play coverage heavy defenses.

If I had to pick one thing that explains the offensive problems the last third of the season: this is the one.

I don't see think this current team is ever going to be great runners. The O line is built to Pass pro and the run is an after thought.

What success it has in the run game is built on misdirection rather than solid fundamentals.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

the first:

Interesting. And you’re right, if you can’t make them pay for sitting in pass defense sets with a devastating - or at least opportunistic) run game you’ve essentially hamstrung yourself offensively before the game has even begun.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't see think this current team is ever going to be great runners. The O line is built to Pass pro and the run is an after thought.

What success it has in the run game is built on misdirection rather than solid fundamentals.
I think the primary takeaway there is if the cards were even average (forget “great”) running the ball they would gash most teams on the ground because they are facing light boxes a disproportionate amount of time. This in turn would require the defense bring their safeties up thereby unleashing our deep passing game with more opportunities. The fact they can essentially make our run game average using pass defense sets is a win-win for them.

Frankly this makes conners YPC last season look even worse.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Interesting. And you’re right, if you can’t make them pay for sitting in pass defense sets with a devastating - or at least opportunistic) run game you’ve essentially hamstrung yourself offensively before the game has even begun.
Thank God we just paid our running back $10 million a year who couldn't succeed against those light boxes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the primary takeaway there is if the cards were even average (forget “great”) running the ball they would gash most teams on the ground because they are facing light boxes a disproportionate amount of time. This in turn would require the defense bring their safeties up thereby unleashing our deep passing game with more opportunities. The fact they can essentially make our run game average using pass defense sets is a win-win for them.

Frankly this makes conners YPC last season look even worse.
Part of it is trying to run from shotgun all of the time, and the other part is that while most of the OL is adequate-decent pass blockers, they won't be confused as a good run blocking line.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

the first:

Take Maxxxx out of the equation, and our running game basically fell apart.

Happy he's back, but considering his injury history, Maxx lasting a whole season is tenuous at best.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

DJ Humphries is the o line starter with a better than average run blocking grade (per PFF)

everyone else is in the 50's

if i were GM, i would make it priority to upgrade the right side of the line. Beachum is a nice player in pass pro, but his run blocking isnt good

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of it is trying to run from shotgun all of the time, and the other part is that while most of the OL is adequate-decent pass blockers, they won't be confused as a good run blocking line.
^^^^^^^^^ this cannot be stressed enough.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard