The sign of real problems

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In other words, it's more than just one thing that has to be fixed by the organization to be considered winners, something we all want. This team has been atrocious nearly my whole lifetime, and while we've had periods of success, it's going to take a mammoth effort to make us as fans, comfortable that we're going to compete year in and year out, and do it competently. In the meantime....let the complaining continue.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coach up the head coach? Who does that?!?
I could be wrong but I am guessing he means for Keim to “coach him up”.

I think a good GM, seasons end, could say “Hey Kliff, one of your areas of improvement is working the two minute drill. I had the video department load game film of coaches who are some of the top guys in how they handle that aspect of the game.”

I am not saying this is a good idea or bad and I certainly don’t want this to devolve into a Bluto bashing thing but good managers/leaders explain where the improvement areas are and also help to provide the tools to get the improvement sought. You would hope this is how Michael and Bluto would handle areas they would like to see improvement.

At the end of the day it is up to Kliff to put in the work

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Kiem is somewhat removed from FA signing aside from money and that it is Adrian Wilson doing and Kiem is more draft heavy. If that is true, then Kien brings no value and it's time to move on.

Take this with a grain of salt since it was on Twitter when talking about the Jacksonville job.
I am looking at this like a sports car. If one can haul arse but it fall apart at the end, you have parts wearing out, or you have parts which have not been worn in enough, but in both cases (which we appear to have both) they cannot sustain the stress and not necessarily the fault of the driver (because he has to push the car to win on this professional track) but the components of the proverbial car... we need to start buying the proper parts in the draft, allow those parts to set in instead of leaving them on the garage shelf being pulled in and out, and maybe stop relying on rebuilt aftermarket parts lol

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think this is a misinterpretation of what I said. I think it’s adjustments (some small some larger) are needed in a LOT of areas to have a material impact on the team. Taking out two of the 30 small knives isn’t going to move the dial.
Well, I guess it might depend on which 2 knives and where you are pulling them out from?

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One of the main issues is an overall lack of accountability.

Keim's last 5 years have truly been bonkers. Between the many missed draft picks, bad free agent signings/cap mismangement, off-field personal issues and general lack of success, it is insane that he still has a job. Draft misfire ILBs in the first round in back-to-back years? No problem! Trade up for arguably the worst top 10 QB pick in the last 2 decades, then trade him for another bust slot receiver the next year? It's cool. Keim is bulletproof in this organization.

It goes beyond Keim, though. We just sat through one of the worst late season collapses in NFL history, and the Cardinals haven't made a single change. The 9ers brought Anthony Lynn on to their coaching staff to help their running game today after barely losing in the NFC championship. Surely the Cards should bring in some new coaching blood after the offense went in the toilet for the last two months of the season. Or at least can Bill Davis.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am looking at this like a sports car. If one can haul arse but it fall apart at the end, you have parts wearing out, or you have parts which have not been worn in enough, but in both cases (which we appear to have both) they cannot sustain the stress and not necessarily the fault of the driver (because he has to push the car to win on this professional track) but the components of the proverbial car... we need to start buying the proper parts in the draft, allow those parts to set in instead of leaving them on the garage shelf being pulled in and out, and maybe stop relying on rebuilt aftermarket parts lol
Good metaphor. We also have a driver who likes to turn the steering wheel, tie it off, and assume it'll circle around the track :D I kid, of course, but we have a driver that also detracts from the race in ways. IMO, a lot of ways, in the opinion of others merely some ways. Some few folks don't believe the driver is at fault at all, though I do.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Good metaphor. We also have a driver who likes to turn the steering wheel, tie it off, and assume it'll circle around the track :D I kid, of course, but we have a driver that also detracts from the race in ways. IMO, a lot of ways, in the opinion of others merely some ways. Some few folks don't believe the driver is at fault at all, though I do.
I think the driver has a tendency to get a little reckless after a while from what the car was capable of early on but does not realize that this is the last thing those non worn in parts and the worn out parts can handle later... and he might want to consider tuning it a tad differently when it does have some wear and tear instead of charging on

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards are still a year away from where they want to be. Danger is - everyone gets impatient and they blow up the entire deal a year too early. Then they start over again.

There's plenty to whine about, but I'd rather ID and fix the problems instead of tearing things down yet again.

Set goals. Work the plan. Be methodical. Don't panic.

Cheez!

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Cards are still a year away from where they want to be. Danger is - everyone gets impatient and they blow up the entire deal a year too early. Then they start over again.

There's plenty to whine about, but I'd rather ID and fix the problems instead of tearing things down yet again.

Cheez!
It’s interesting you say that considering this team is going to look a LOT different next season given all the free agents and the salary cap constraints. The “plan” of which you speak is going to have kinda relatively minimal continuity.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

Cheez!
The Cardinals also have been very impulsive when there is not a quick turnaround. I still think a majority of all our misfortunes is Keim not being better at drafting regardless of the coach. Ironically, I think this team would be better served with Rod Graves and his drafting direction at this moment having a young QB who might be the ultimate solution approaching a contract extension

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great analogy.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And the owner who keeps giving him chances. For the record in no other functional NFL functional would such a track record of general managing be allowed that teams ownership.
Except one: Jerry Jones. But hey, he owns the team so he likely isn’t going to fire himself.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea, I’m not blaming anyone but Keim until he’s gone. I would continue to blame Bidwill for still having Keim employed, but Bidwill can’t fire himself.

Keim was on a streak of losing seasons before Kliff, Kyler, Vance, & others got here.

Keim was(& still is) on a streak of having awful drafts before Kliff, Kyler, Vance, & others got here.

Keim was on a streak of hiring bad coordinators before Kliff, Kyler, Vance, & others got here.

Lets also not forget the DUI part!

So, yea. Not sure how you can’t blame Keim more than anyone else by far.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Cheez!
OR you could just draft Joe Burrows. ;)

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yea, I’m not blaming anyone but Keim until he’s gone. I would continue to blame Bidwill for still having Keim employed, but Bidwill can’t fire himself.

Keim was on a streak of losing seasons before Kliff, Kyler, Vance, & others got here.

Keim was(& still is) on a streak of having awful drafts before Kliff, Kyler, Vance, & others got here.

Keim was on a streak of hiring bad coordinators before Kliff, Kyler, Vance, & others got here.

Lets also not forget the DUI part!

So, yea. Not sure how you can’t blame Keim more than anyone else by far.
I do out most blame on keim. But that doesn’t absolve coaches from coaching well or players from playing well. Pointing the finger at a single basket is a narrow minded approach that has you wondering why things still haven’t righted themselves when keim is canned.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate to speak poorly of the dead, but this problem started a long time ago. A lot of our personnel problems seem to have started with George Boone. I know he has been gone 20 years, but the team has not really changed from his personnel decisions.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I hate to speak poorly of the dead, but this problem started a long time ago. A lot of our personnel problems seem to have started with George Boone. I know he has been gone 20 years, but the team has not really changed from his personnel decisions.
as a long time fan -- as bad as Keim has been at times -- there have been no Kelly Stouffers over Jerome Brown, John Lee --kicker at pick #32, Clyde Duncan, etc. George Boone made many "WTF!!" kinda picks that made the TV draft guys laugh

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
in the big picture:

Historically, the Cards reputation was such that any HC with choices ( Denny G, Whis, even Arians) required assurance that they would have input into the draft. My connections into the org were good during the Denny / Whis days and waned during Arians. I have no idea on Wilks or Kliff.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
as a long time fan -- as bad as Keim has been at times -- there have been no Kelly Stouffers over Jerome Brown, John Lee --kicker at pick #32, Clyde Duncan, etc. George Boone made many "WTF!!" kinda picks that made the TV draft guys laugh
Another qb from that era was a qb from Missouri who's name escapes me. Wasn't he another high draft choice that flopped? Stouffer never put on the uniform if I remember right.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another qb from that era was a qb from Missouri who's name escapes me. Wasn't he another high draft choice that flopped? Stouffer never put on the uniform if I remember right.
You must be registered for see images attach