OT: 49ers fan in coma after apparent beating outside SoFi Stadium during NFC championship

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

49ers fan in coma after apparent beating outside SoFi Stadium during NFC championship​

Police are investigating the apparent beating of a San Francisco 49ers fan found severely injured in the parking lot of SoFi Stadium during Sunday’s NFC championship game against the Rams.

Daniel Luna, a restaurant owner from Oakland, remains hospitalized at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in what Inglewood police said was a medically induced coma.

Luna, 40, was discovered on the ground by Los Angeles County Fire Department paramedics in the stadium’s Lot L about 4 p.m., half an hour into the Rams-49ers contest, said Inglewood Police Lt. Geoffrey Meeks. Luna was wearing a San Francisco jersey and black pants, Meeks said.

Emergency room staff at Harbor-UCLA noted wounds suggesting Luna had been attacked and contacted Inglewood police later that night.

“They believe he suffered from an assault at the stadium to his upper body and facial area,” Meeks said. Detectives are working with stadium officials to determine what happened to Luna, he said.

“We are relying heavily on video to try to identify the people involved,” he said. “We are going to leave no stone unturned.”

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Inglewood mayor: Video details fight outside SoFi that left 49ers fan in coma​

The San Francisco 49ers fan who was found severely injured outside of SoFi Stadium during Sunday's NFL conference title game was involved in a brief fight that was captured on video, Inglewood Mayor James Butts said.

Butts said the injured fan, Oakland resident Daniel Luna, was involved in a brief pushing match with another person, who was possibly wearing a Rams jersey.

That person pushed Luna back and punched him once in the mouth, according to the video. Luna fell to the ground and was found some time later by SoFi security personnel.

"It looked like a small altercation that went very bad," said Butts, who said the video isn't being released as the investigation remains ongoing. "Five seconds. Push. Turn around, push, [and] punch. It wasn't even five seconds."

Butts shared the developments during a press conference Thursday evening.

Butts said the video shows what he described as a "49ers group gathering" of about 16 people hanging out at the stadium's Lot L.

Luna remains hospitalized in a medically-induced coma.

"To be blunt about it, it looked like a small altercation that went very bad, from one punch and someone falling, hitting their head on the ground," Butts reiterated. "It wasn't like you had people ganging up on somebody and beating them, as you did in Dodger Stadium."

Butts was referring to the 2011 brutal attack on a San Francisco Giants fan outside of Dodger Stadium. On Opening Day that year, Bryan Stow, a father of two and a former Santa Cruz paramedic, was savagely beaten by Dodgers fans.

He was left with serious brain damage. His attackers were sentenced to years in jail.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man arrested in fight outside SoFi Stadium that left 49ers fan in coma, Inglewood mayor confirms​

An arrest has been made in the fight outside SoFi Stadium that left Oakland resident and 49ers fan Daniel Luna in a coma, Inglewood Mayor James Butts has confirmed.

Inglewood police arrested the suspect in Montebello but have not yet released his identity.

We learned more Thursday night about the Oakland restaurant owner and 49ers fan, who is now fighting for his life following a brutal assault outside SoFI stadium during last Sunday's NFC Championship game between the San Francisco 49ers and Los Angeles Rams.

Thursday night, Mayor Butts announced police have video from the parking lot at SoFi Stadium that identifies a suspect in the attack, but the video is not being released at the time.

The mayor says the suspect appears to be wearing a Rams jersey, and the video shows him in a physical fight with Luna, who was hit and fell to the ground.

"This incident occurred in less than five seconds," Mayor Butts told reporters.

"Mr. Luna pushes someone from behind. That person, when Mr. Luna turns away, pushes him, takes another step towards him and punches him- looks like in the mouth area," Butts described. "Mr. Luna falls back on his head."

"We have to remember, sports teams, stadium operators have a duty to safeguard their visitors, i.e. the fans," attorney David Lira told ABC7 News.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Not at all condoning the act of violence and retaliation. But you’re playing with fire when you were the aggressor. It’s tragic all around and both victim and the suspect bare responsibility for what happened.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I’d like to add had the person who retaliated stuck around or called for aid there would likely be a different outcome for him. The fact they left this guy just laying on the ground is akin to a hit and run accident.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
disgusting. I don't even like reading stories like this, would rather simply not know.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely disgusting!

It’s time the NFL, teams & stadiums get serious about resolving this asap. Bring in the police, Swat, whatever. Enough is enough.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's crazy how misleading these stories are. With headlines like "beating" and "brutal assault".
I don't condone violence and try to stay clear of conflict, especially at games. But if someone assaults me, I would definitely defend myself. It sounds like the "victim" started a fight and got punched in the mouth. Unfortunately, he fell back and hit his head, which is the tragic part. I want to know if he was with friends or even other 49er fans. How does everyone just scatter and leave the guy to be found later by security. You're tell me there wasn't a single person that would have checked on the guy after going unconscious or called for help. Typical crowd for those teams.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's crazy how misleading these stories are. With headlines like "beating" and "brutal assault".
I don't condone violence and try to stay clear of conflict, especially at games. But if someone assaults me, I would definitely defend myself. It sounds like the "victim" started a fight and got punched in the mouth. Unfortunately, he fell back and hit his head, which is the tragic part. I want to know if he was with friends or even other 49er fans. How does everyone just scatter and leave the guy to be found later by security. You're tell me there wasn't a single person that would have checked on the guy after going unconscious or called for help. Typical crowd for those teams.
This is the craziest part of the story.

Guy pushes guy. Pushed guy punches the other guy who then falls and hits his head.

Nobody calls 911 or tracks down a security guard? :shrug:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He came from Oakland by himself after several of his friends cancelled.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This is the craziest part of the story.

Guy pushes guy. Pushed guy punches the other guy who then falls and hits his head.

Nobody calls 911 or tracks down a security guard? :shrug:
Our society is very indifferent. Most people likely filmed him with their cellphones and moved on…

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He came from Oakland by himself after several of his friends cancelled.
Friends or no friends. I'd like to think if I was hanging with a bunch of Cardinals fans (even if I didn't know them), that if I was knocked out by anyone (especially an opposing team fan), that someone would have the decency to render aid or at least call for help.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
whatever happened to letting things go or just ignoring idiots who provoke. IMO no one deserves to get beaten to near death for "talking smack", and surely no person should ever feel he/she has the authority to decide that. Just very disappointing
It’s rare when we agree, but here I am 100% with you.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is probably the most disturbing part of this entire ordeal. this guy was just crashed out on the ground with a head injury and no one did anything about it for while?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
whatever happened to letting things go or just ignoring idiots who provoke. IMO no one deserves to get beaten to near death for "talking smack", and surely no person should ever feel he/she has the authority to decide that. Just very disappointing
" beaten to near death"
Drama queen much? The dude assaulted someone and got his ass knocked out. With any luck he learns something from the encounter.

Truth. In every single interaction you have with another human an ass whooping is always on the table, ya may give or ya may receive but it's always a possibility. So treat the people you come in contact with accordingly....and if you ain't good at delivering ass whooping, then maybe you should be just a little bit nicer to people.
But shoving a guy? When you can't take a punch? Darwinism in action

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
"talking smack" and putting hands-on are two VERY different things. If someone, you don't know, comes from behind and initiates violence... good luck with that ignoring policy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
"talking smack" and putting hands-on are two VERY different things. If someone, you don't know, comes from behind and initiates violence... good luck with that ignoring policy.
You’re really best off walking away from that. You have no idea these days if someone is unhinged, carrying a knife, carrying a gun, is going to stalk you and do something to your property, etc. someone shoved you and you’re surrounded by friends and they’re alone? Walk away.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
You’re really best off walking away from that. You have no idea these days if someone is unhinged, carrying a knife, carrying a gun, is going to stalk you and do something to your property, etc. someone shoved you and you’re surrounded by friends and they’re alone? Walk away.
First of all, it was reported that a group of 49er fans was gathered at the scene. Implying the violence initiator was "surrounded by friends", not the other way around as you are attempting to frame it.

Second, I can't disagree with "You’re really best off walking away from that." more. Laying hands on from behind is preditor behavior. There are a number of options, at this point, but ignoring a preditor and showing your back can be a fatal mistake.

We don't know each other, so this could be just two internet guys debating opinions. Or, you can ask anyone (whose opinion you value) that has been a victim of bigoted inspired violence how well the Ignore & Walk Away tactic worked.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely disgusting!

It’s time the NFL, teams & stadiums get serious about resolving this asap. Bring in the police, Swat, whatever. Enough is enough.
Well a rather large % of people hate the police and think they are ALL racist, lying, non moral having boot licking POS scumbags who serve no purpose in todays society. So not sure how much success your gonna have getting that on. Should probably have more counselors and therapist on duty at games instead.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1000%

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
First of all, it was reported that a group of 49er fans was gathered at the scene. Implying the violence initiator was "surrounded by friends", not the other way around as you are attempting to frame it.

Second, I can't disagree with "You’re really best off walking away from that." more. Laying hands on from behind is preditor behavior. There are a number of options, at this point, but ignoring a preditor and showing your back can be a fatal mistake.

We don't know each other, so this could be just two internet guys debating opinions. Or, you can ask anyone (whose opinion you value) that has been a victim of bigoted inspired violence how well the Ignore & Walk Away tactic worked.
I’m pretty sure the report said the dude who was the aggressor came down from Oakland and was by himself, right? Or did I get that wrong.

As for your perspective regarding predators in a crowded venue like a football game, if you walk away he’s likely not following you. And I never said pretend like he doesn’t exist. You keep an eye out because crazy is crazy. But for your initial reaction to be knock him out is just a Neanderthal reaction in today’s day and age when you have zero idea how it could escalate and even harm others around you. If you don’t believe me, see our resident law enforcement’s (Shane) support of my position above.