Who do you being back or rather who does the team bring back

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Now that the season is over, the next question in my mind is who does the team look to resign from the list of free agents on the team. This is my take on what will happen. It will be interesting to see how accurate it ends up being. My basis is part history of Bidwill and Keim previous moves and just gut feelings. It's in no way what I think should happen, just what I think the hierarchy will do.

First the entire coaching staff is back intact. Keim and Bidwill will say progress made with a winning record and a playoff spot. They will point to injuries as an excuse and express confidence in KK. Besides Bidwill would not like having to pay two HCs again now that he is free of Wilks contract.

Chandler Jones: Questionable is he is back. I think he will test the market to see what it brings. The team can only afford so much and after the disaster last night I do not see Jones giving a discount to the Cardinals. I think Jones sees his odds of being on a championship team here are getting slimmer all the time and looks elsewhere to find that promise land Odds of Jones being a Cardinal in 2022 is probably 70/30 against being a Cardinal in 2022.
Zach Ertz: The smart move would be to bring him back and resolve the TE problem especially when every TE on the team is a UFA. Ertz has no loyalty to the team as he was here only half a season. He will test the market. Ertz proved he still can make a difference and someone who is TE needy will overpay him. Odds of Ertz being back is probably 70/30 against being a Cardinal in 2022.
A J Green: I expect Keim will offer him a 1 or 2 year contract. He will probably take it as who else wants a 33 year old WR who doesn't go 100% all the time. Odds are 80/20 he will be back in 2022.
Maxx Williams: The team offers a one year deal. Williams signs it. Where else would he go with his injury history. Odds 100% being a Cardinal in 2022.
James Conner: Two year deal unless another team decides to over pay him big time. Keim will offer him a deal slightly above market. Odds 90/10 being a Cardinal in 2022.
Christian Kirk: He takes a deal elsewhere. Odds 100% against being a Cardinal.
Chase Edmonds: Same as Conner.
Robert Alford: Back with a one year deal. No other team will even entertain signing him. Keim will offer him a contract.
Andy Lee: It all depends on if he wants to keep playing. May retire at 40 years old. If he decides on one more year then he is here. 100% a Cardinal or retires.
Colt McCoy: Some one who is desperate for a quality backup will over pay him. 90/10 against him being here in 2022.
Aaron Brewer: He will be back. You don't see long snappers move often unless another team really needs one and offers him above going rate. 80/20 he's back in 2022.
Max Garcia: I don't think he has anywhere else to go so yes he gets a 2 year deal and is back.
Corey Peters: I see retirement in his future. Would be surprised to see him playing at all in 2022.
The rest are not worth mentioning as they are backups and special team players that are a dime a dozen. Some will be back others won't. None will impact enough to make a difference.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would bring back Conner, Ertz, Brewer, Lee, and McCoy

I would consider bringing back Alford, Chandler, and Max Williams if the price is cheap.

Edmonds is too easily replaceable by a rookie, Kirk will not be worth the price, Peters is too old, Garcia we can do better. AJ Green I just don't want on the team, he just doesn't even look like he wants to still be playing.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Now that the season is over, the next question in my mind is who does the team look to resign from the list of free agents on the team. This is my take on what will happen. It will be interesting to see how accurate it ends up being. My basis is part history of Bidwill and Keim previous moves and just gut feelings. It's in no way what I think should happen, just what I think the hierarchy will do.

First the entire coaching staff is back intact. Keim and Bidwill will say progress made with a winning record and a playoff spot. They will point to injuries as an excuse and express confidence in KK. Besides Bidwill would not like having to pay two HCs again now that he is free of Wilks contract.

Chandler Jones: Questionable is he is back. I think he will test the market to see what it brings. The team can only afford so much and after the disaster last night I do not see Jones giving a discount to the Cardinals. I think Jones sees his odds of being on a championship team here are getting slimmer all the time and looks elsewhere to find that promise land Odds of Jones being a Cardinal in 2022 is probably 70/30 against being a Cardinal in 2022.
Zach Ertz: The smart move would be to bring him back and resolve the TE problem especially when every TE on the team is a UFA. Ertz has no loyalty to the team as he was here only half a season. He will test the market. Ertz proved he still can make a difference and someone who is TE needy will overpay him. Odds of Ertz being back is probably 70/30 against being a Cardinal in 2022.
A J Green: I expect Keim will offer him a 1 or 2 year contract. He will probably take it as who else wants a 33 year old WR who doesn't go 100% all the time. Odds are 80/20 he will be back in 2022.
Maxx Williams: The team offers a one year deal. Williams signs it. Where else would he go with his injury history. Odds 100% being a Cardinal in 2022.
James Conner: Two year deal unless another team decides to over pay him big time. Keim will offer him a deal slightly above market. Odds 90/10 being a Cardinal in 2022.
Christian Kirk: He takes a deal elsewhere. Odds 100% against being a Cardinal.
Chase Edmonds: Same as Conner.
Robert Alford: Back with a one year deal. No other team will even entertain signing him. Keim will offer him a contract.
Andy Lee: It all depends on if he wants to keep playing. May retire at 40 years old. If he decides on one more year then he is here. 100% a Cardinal or retires.
Colt McCoy: Some one who is desperate for a quality backup will over pay him. 90/10 against him being here in 2022.
Aaron Brewer: He will be back. You don't see long snappers move often unless another team really needs one and offers him above going rate. 80/20 he's back in 2022.
Max Garcia: I don't think he has anywhere else to go so yes he gets a 2 year deal and is back.
Corey Peters: I see retirement in his future. Would be surprised to see him playing at all in 2022.
The rest are not worth mentioning as they are backups and special team players that are a dime a dozen. Some will be back others won't. None will impact enough to make a difference.
Andy Lee signed last week

I hope Max Garcia is not back, also ibelieve Colt will be resigned. Lets say 2 yrs 4 mil

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Just no to AJ Green. I’ve never seen a more disinterested guy get 800 unimpactful yards.
I agree with you but I think Keim will offer him a contract and Green will accept it knowing there will not be much demand for his services elsewhere. In all likelihood the contract will be similar to what he signed on for in 2021.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you but I think Keim will offer him a contract and Green will accept it knowing there will not be much demand for his services elsewhere. In all likelihood the contract will be similar to what he signed on for in 2021.

I don't think he will. i think the team will make more effort to keep Kirk than they will Green. The money might be too much but they'll at least try IMO. I think they will thank AJ for his contribution this year and give him a gold watch, which Green won't catch because he'll be looking the wrong way.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he will. i think the team will make more effort to keep Kirk than they will Green. The money might be too much but they'll at least try IMO. I think they will thank AJ for his contribution this year and give him a gold watch, which Green won't catch because he'll be looking the wrong way.
I agree with this take on the WR situation.

Who they will bring back? Conner (this is a slam dunk), C Jones (tag), McCoy, Brewer. Alford, Williams and Garcia. Kirk if they can. I think they don't have a chance with Ertz. And, I am far from certain paying that old of guy a giant contract is a good move for where we are at. This team was the oldest team in the NFL this season. We need to get younger.

I would mostly agree with that. Unless they are giving too big and too long of contracts.

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You may very well be correct. I think the thrashing yesterday will impact how players feel about staying in AZ.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just no to AJ Green. I’ve never seen a more disinterested guy get 800 unimpactful yards.
Re-signing AJ Green would tell me way more about the status of this team going forward than the playoff game did.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
I think you should also add to this guys who are good candidates to be cut for cap savings. I would add the following:

Justin Pugh - $2M dead money / $10M savings. Getting older and spent a lot of time on the injured list. We need to upgrade at both guard spots.

Jordan Phillips - $9.2M dead money / $4M savings. Probably going to be back due to the dead money but dude can not stay healthy and can not be counted on to contribute.

Devon Kennard - $4.2M dead money / $4.8M savings - unsure about this one. If you lose Jones you may have to keep him for pass rush help

Jordan Hicks - $3M dead money / $6.5 savings - I let him go but he is also Ertz's best bud so if you do that you may decrease your chances of resigning Ertz.

The other name I'd add to this list that bears watching is Humphries. He is in the last year of his deal and would create $15M in cap savings if cut with only $4.3M in deal money. If you can get a better tackle in free agency it may be worth it to cut him but I doubt that happens. He is only 28 and good tackles can play into their mid 30's so if you believe he can be better than what he showed or Kyler caused a lot of the issues than you should extend him and get some savings there too.

I would absolutely agree with other posters here that there is no way we can bring Green back. The guy just killed this team the last couple of weeks with stupid penalties (OPI) or drops. When we needed him to step up with Hopkins out he took a giant step back. Beyond that it just never seemed like he and Kyler were on the same page (Green Bay being the most notable example). I also don't think Jones comes back. You can't afford to pay that much for that level of production. Guy was going up against back ups several times this year and was shut down, where was he in the Colts game when all the starters were out and even the back ups were dropping.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may very well be correct. I think the thrashing yesterday will impact how players feel about staying in AZ.

I guess it could but generally speaking Kyler and Kirk are both good friends and big supporters of each other so I assume Kyler will want Kirk back. now if Kirk wants way too much money could be an issue for sure. i guess it depends how committed the Cards are to Kyler Murray after yesterday

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Please cut Humphries. He sucks. Beacham would be better as the LT next year

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose