2022 Off-Season Changes

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What an absolute disgust last night was. There is NOT a positive thing to take away from this game, with the silver lining being BIG changes should/will be happening to this organization. We were embarrassed and did not show up on EVERY Prime Time Game this year. Complete fraud of a team - regardless of injuries. These are the changes I feel need to happen, listed below... I am Kyler supporter as many know, but he looked like crap last night. Worse game of his career in my opinion. There are several reason that attributed to his disgusting performance, but he too needs to be held accountable - on many accounts! At the end of the day though, he it is NOT realistic that he gets traded this off-season. My list below, are realistic changes in my opinion... Feel free to debate (also, not necessarily in particular order).

1. Fire the coaching staff. Clean house. Kliff isn't it. Doesn't know how to play call in the NFL (there is reason why our offense collapses in the second half of the season). Doesn't play to players strengths, doesn't have the team motivated/prepared, zero accountability by coach bro. He flat out looks confused and nervous on the sideline. Was hired as an offensive guru, if he's not calling the plays then there is no reason to hire an OC and keep him on board. Vance needs to go as well... Wasted 2 first round LBs that this guy doesn't know how to utilize, zero adjustments and his schemes simply do not make sense even to a casual fan. New coaching staff is going to want his coaching staff in there, so clean the rest of the house. Need a coach or OC that can develop a NFL QB. Kyler NEEDS coaching, development or we will be in NFL purgatory for the next 5 years.

2. Offensive Line - The most laughable group in the NFL. Maybe the NYG's line is the only comparable. We know 3 things; 1) Kyler will forever fail to meet expectations without a clean pocket. 2) Kyler is small in stature. I don't believe standing/stepping up in the pocket to get drilled by an unblocked Donald or anyone for that matter is an option. At his size, I would have looked frantic as well last night. 3) We will play 4 games a year, every year against 2 of the most disruptive, powerful defensive lines in the league in Rams and 49ers. Hudson and Beachum are our ONLY 2 adequate lineman. Time to do what Kansas City did for Mahomes this past off-season... Gave Mahomes 4 BRAND NEW starters (5 if you count the guy starting who opted out last year). Mighty Mahomes worse game in his career was last years Super Bowl. Absolutely could not do anything without protection. We can save $15mm and $10mm against the cap by cutting Hump and Pugh by 6/1. Limited dead money at $4mm and $2mm respectively. There is no question we should do this. Hump is NOT elite and doesn't deserve to be paid as so. Use that $25mm in cap and draft to get the best Olineman out there. This team and QB goes no where without this. Here is a great article on what a new line has done for KC. https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article257170697.html

3. Wide Receivers - Aidos to Green and Kirk. Green is cooked as far as effort and intelligence goes. If he wants to come back in a more limited role and cheaper, I welcome it - otherwise aidos! Kirk, let someone else overpay for him. I don't care if he's Kyler's buddy. Leaves us with Hopkins, Rondale, a cheap Wesley. Go sign Michael Gallup and find someone who can get separation from the defense.

4. Running Backs - Would love to resign James Conner and Edmonds. Probably not likely to sign both and NOT a position any team can over spend on. Give me JC if we have to choose.

5. Tight Ends - Resign Ertz and Max. I think these 2 player's and their impact speak for themselves.

6. Defensive Backs - Need help here. Should be your draft focus after Oline. Too expensive and volatile to chase a big name player in FA. Seems too often big free agent CB's bomb out instantly or after a year.

7. Linebackers - Who even knows what we truly have in Simmons and Collins? Did they look lost in this scheme - yes...but is it them or the scheme. Simmons has flashed potential and yet has been a liability so many times. We aren't playing to his strengths I can certainly tell you that. Collins - who knows? Doesn't play. Hicks - thank you for your service, but you are too slow to be a starter in this league anymore. We save $6.5mm in cutting Hicks by June 1. This will happen. Our 'dead money' was at $14mm in 2021. We are entering 2022 with only $300k in dead money. Cutting Hicks/Hump/Pugh, will result in $9mm in dead money while creating an additional $31.5mm in cap space. Kennard prob stuck with a salary hit of $4m and dead equivalent of $4m.

8. Defensive Line - Edge Rushers/Run Stuffers. Let CJ walk. He's simply too expensive and on the decline I as noted in his thread. Edge rushers have a sharp decline after age 32 unless your name is Reggie White. I noted all the star edge rushers in that thread that are having career worse years. We simply have WAY too many holes on this team to jam up $16mm in cap on a guy that will likely decline again next year. Do we assess this through the draft or FA? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know the answer is not wasting that large amount of cap room on a guy whose worse years are yet to come. IDL. Would love another run stuffer here as well. We have some decent pieces, but the problem is they can't stay healthy. I'd love to go after some younger riskier cheaper options (Dante Flower, Randy Gregor) or spend some money to get Emmanuel Ogbah.

"Funny fact when doing this research...Calais, JPP, Hughes, Von Miller and Houston - all 32 years of age or older. EVERY single one of these players had their lowest season sack total when STARTING 10 more more games. That's a pretty damning coincidence for those campaigning $12mm+ for 3 years for CJ.

9. GM - This is probably the hottest take as this guy gave us the roster through lack of depth signings and non-impactful draft picks... I am OK to keep Keim. 1) I don't think Bidwill fires him. 2) At least he's willing to be aggressive as shown through trades and vet signings (even if they all haven't panned out). I'd rather have a GM who is willing to shake things up then stay stagnant and do little to nothing. After getting Hopkins and Watt to Arizona, I don't believe any move is off the table for Keim. I respect that and like that. We will find out next year with a new DC whether Simmons and Collins were truly wasted 1st round picks.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would sign Conner cause is not easy to find a rb like him
See what Ertz will ask, if is reasonable i would resign him
Kirk green Isabella sayonara
Beachum extended
Pugh for a 1 year deal cause depth matters a lot
Sign two guards

I would sign hassan Reddick and draft a pass rusher in round 3

Lets see if Marco Wilson can get better, worse is almost impossible
Murphy is average but give him another year
Cb in round 1/2 or one big cb free agent

Defensive line need a massive guy and other 2

Safeties are good, the bright spot

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler Murray, Colt McCoy, DHop, DHumphries, Conner, Rodney Hudson, Maxx Williams/Ertz, JJ Watt, Golden, Budda Baker, Jalen Thompson, Murphy, Alford, Marco Wilson(?)

Need at least 10-12 new starters from my pov.
And why 2022 will be an abject disaster with limited cap room

OP
OP
D

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler Murray, Colt McCoy, DHop, DHumphries, Conner, Rodney Hudson, Maxx Williams/Ertz, JJ Watt, Golden, Budda Baker, Jalen Thompson, Murphy, Alford, Marco Wilson(?)

Need at least 10-12 new starters from my pov.
And why 2022 will be an abject disaster with limited cap room

Cut Hump, Hicks, and Pugh alone and you have $31.5mm + $16.5mm in additional cap (not sure if that $16.5mm is at the increased 2022 cap projection even).. $48mm is pretty sizeable cap number. Could free up another $10m with less than $1mm in dead cap if you wanted to get rid of some relatively worthless spare parts. What favors are we doing for this team typing up $25mm in cap with Hump and Pugh? None.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cut Hump, Hicks, and Pugh alone and you have $31.5mm + $16.5mm in additional cap (not sure if that $16.5mm is at the increased 2022 cap projection even).. $48mm is pretty sizeable cap number. Could free up another $10m with less than $1mm in dead cap if you wanted to get rid of some relatively worthless spare parts. What favors are we doing for this team typing up $25mm in cap with Hump and Pugh? None.
You just cannot cut left tackles without better options..sorry DJ is just about average and that is the going price for left tackles in the league

OP
OP
D

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You just cannot cut left tackles without better options..sorry DJ is just about average and that is the going price for left tackles in the league
Um ya you can... Kansas cut their left tackle and went out and traded and then signed to a new contract.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If u stick with murray u need to upgrade the left tackle spot
I can bet now, he will ask a new left tackle

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If u stick with murray u need to upgrade the left tackle spot
I can bet now, he will ask a new left tackle
I bet he will ask for a new coaching staff. Very under discussed in the fan base but that is a no zero probability. If Kliff is fired this will be the only reason and it will never be sold like that.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet he will ask for a new coaching staff. Very under discussed in the fan base but that is a no zero probability. If Kliff is fired this will be the only reason and it will never be sold like that.
no way he will ask kliff to go,
Kliff put him on pedestal, treat him the best qb ever, that's why he can't progress the way we thought

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
no way he will ask kliff to go,
Kliff put him on pedestal, treat him the best qb ever, that's why he can progress the way we thought
May be not. I am not going to discount that probability. Mahomes went from good QB at TT to face of the franchise under Andy Reid.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What an absolute disgust last night was. There is NOT a positive thing to take away from this game, with the silver lining being BIG changes should/will be happening to this organization. We were embarrassed and did not show up on EVERY Prime Time Game this year. Complete fraud of a team - regardless of injuries. These are the changes I feel need to happen, listed below... I am Kyler supporter as many know, but he looked like crap last night. Worse game of his career in my opinion. There are several reason that attributed to his disgusting performance, but he too needs to be held accountable - on many accounts! At the end of the day though, he it is NOT realistic that he gets traded this off-season. My list below, are realistic changes in my opinion... Feel free to debate (also, not necessarily in particular order).

1. Fire the coaching staff. Clean house. Kliff isn't it. Doesn't know how to play call in the NFL (there is reason why our offense collapses in the second half of the season). Doesn't play to players strengths, doesn't have the team motivated/prepared, zero accountability by coach bro. He flat out looks confused and nervous on the sideline. Was hired as an offensive guru, if he's not calling the plays then there is no reason to hire an OC and keep him on board. Vance needs to go as well... Wasted 2 first round LBs that this guy doesn't know how to utilize, zero adjustments and his schemes simply do not make sense even to a casual fan. New coaching staff is going to want his coaching staff in there, so clean the rest of the house. Need a coach or OC that can develop a NFL QB. Kyler NEEDS coaching, development or we will be in NFL purgatory for the next 5 years.

2. Offensive Line - The most laughable group in the NFL. Maybe the NYG's line is the only comparable. We know 3 things; 1) Kyler will forever fail to meet expectations without a clean pocket. 2) Kyler is small in stature. I don't believe standing/stepping up in the pocket to get drilled by an unblocked Donald or anyone for that matter is an option. At his size, I would have looked frantic as well last night. 3) We will play 4 games a year, every year against 2 of the most disruptive, powerful defensive lines in the league in Rams and 49ers. Hudson and Beachum are our ONLY 2 adequate lineman. Time to do what Kansas City did for Mahomes this past off-season... Gave Mahomes 4 BRAND NEW starters (5 if you count the guy starting who opted out last year). Mighty Mahomes worse game in his career was last years Super Bowl. Absolutely could not do anything without protection. We can save $15mm and $10mm against the cap by cutting Hump and Pugh by 6/1. Limited dead money at $4mm and $2mm respectively. There is no question we should do this. Hump is NOT elite and doesn't deserve to be paid as so. Use that $25mm in cap and draft to get the best Olineman out there. This team and QB goes no where without this. Here is a great article on what a new line has done for KC. https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article257170697.html

3. Wide Receivers - Aidos to Green and Kirk. Green is cooked as far as effort and intelligence goes. If he wants to come back in a more limited role and cheaper, I welcome it - otherwise aidos! Kirk, let someone else overpay for him. I don't care if he's Kyler's buddy. Leaves us with Hopkins, Rondale, a cheap Wesley. Go sign Michael Gallup and find someone who can get separation from the defense.

4. Running Backs - Would love to resign James Conner and Edmonds. Probably not likely to sign both and NOT a position any team can over spend on. Give me JC if we have to choose.

5. Tight Ends - Resign Ertz and Max. I think these 2 player's and their impact speak for themselves.

6. Defensive Backs - Need help here. Should be your draft focus after Oline. Too expensive and volatile to chase a big name player in FA. Seems too often big free agent CB's bomb out instantly or after a year.

7. Linebackers - Who even knows what we truly have in Simmons and Collins? Did they look lost in this scheme - yes...but is it them or the scheme. Simmons has flashed potential and yet has been a liability so many times. We aren't playing to his strengths I can certainly tell you that. Collins - who knows? Doesn't play. Hicks - thank you for your service, but you are too slow to be a starter in this league anymore. We save $6.5mm in cutting Hicks by June 1. This will happen. Our 'dead money' was at $14mm in 2021. We are entering 2022 with only $300k in dead money. Cutting Hicks/Hump/Pugh, will result in $9mm in dead money while creating an additional $31.5mm in cap space. Kennard prob stuck with a salary hit of $4m and dead equivalent of $4m.

8. Defensive Line - Edge Rushers/Run Stuffers. Let CJ walk. He's simply too expensive and on the decline I as noted in his thread. Edge rushers have a sharp decline after age 32 unless your name is Reggie White. I noted all the star edge rushers in that thread that are having career worse years. We simply have WAY too many holes on this team to jam up $16mm in cap on a guy that will likely decline again next year. Do we assess this through the draft or FA? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know the answer is not wasting that large amount of cap room on a guy whose worse years are yet to come. IDL. Would love another run stuffer here as well. We have some decent pieces, but the problem is they can't stay healthy. I'd love to go after some younger riskier cheaper options (Dante Flower, Randy Gregor) or spend some money to get Emmanuel Ogbah.

"Funny fact when doing this research...Calais, JPP, Hughes, Von Miller and Houston - all 32 years of age or older. EVERY single one of these players had their lowest season sack total when STARTING 10 more more games. That's a pretty damning coincidence for those campaigning $12mm+ for 3 years for CJ.

9. GM - This is probably the hottest take as this guy gave us the roster through lack of depth signings and non-impactful draft picks... I am OK to keep Keim. 1) I don't think Bidwill fires him. 2) At least he's willing to be aggressive as shown through trades and vet signings (even if they all haven't panned out). I'd rather have a GM who is willing to shake things up then stay stagnant and do little to nothing. After getting Hopkins and Watt to Arizona, I don't believe any move is off the table for Keim. I respect that and like that. We will find out next year with a new DC whether Simmons and Collins were truly wasted 1st round picks.
I appreciate your time and thoughts here. You realize you just basically said to replace something like 16 of 22 starters.

OP
OP
D

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think around 11. Yes thats needed and very doable with how many are free agents. I believe we had that amount or more new starters this past year as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think around 11. Yes thats needed and very doable with how many are free agents. I believe we had that amount or more new starters this past year as well.
It isn't. We don't have 100M in cap space to spend. We clearly can't draft starters as well so how do we accomplish this?

OP
OP
D

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It isn't. We don't have 100M in cap space to spend. We clearly can't draft starters as well so how do we accomplish this?
We didnt have $100m in cap space last year. There certainly better ways to spend the ~$50mm i notes above than retaining Hump, Pugh and Hicks as starters. We know they dont work - or do you just want to repeat the same roster with the same results? Bring some substance with your debate.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You do know KM had plenty of time in the pocket and actually had a pocket to step up into last night, right? The OL had its rough moments, but KM was pretty much at fault for all of those sacks. You give Mahomes that kind of time (the Steelers pressured him a lot) and he will crucify you.

OP
OP
D

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You do know KM had plenty of time in the pocket and actually had a pocket to step up into last night, right? The OL had its rough moments, but KM was pretty much at fault for all of those sacks. You give Mahomes that kind of time (the Steelers pressured him a lot) and he will crucify you.
No, i do not believe had plenty of time the vast majority of time in the pocket. He DID in fact hold on to the ball a number of times, he played like crap was rattled. I do NOT expect him to step up into the pocket and get absolutely crushed. All areas of the pocket were completely collapsing.. far more often than not there wasnt a pocket or lane to step up in. Its what happens when your guards suck and get pushed back.

No, i do not think any QB other then Rodgers or Brady would have succeeded last night. Not even Mahomes, he had better weapons in the super bowl last year and even he could not produce with similar offensive line. Kyler sucked last night period. Lots of quarterbacks would have perhaps sucked less, with only a few maybe being able to succeed with that line, those lack of weapons against that Rams defense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didnt have $100m in cap space last year. There certainly better ways to spend the ~$50mm i notes above than retaining Hump, Pugh and Hicks as starters. We know they dont work - or do you just want to repeat the same roster with the same results? Bring some substance with your debate.
We have 6M in cap space and 4-6 starters already set to be free agents. The only way that we could do what you want is if he had a lot of draft picks, and we used them well. We don't draft well, period.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray was clearly at fault for the pick 6 (that was a horse collar tackle) but Hump got abused for a sack. Garcia did for another. Those are the only 3 I can remember at the moment but the line was at fault for 2 of those 3.

Stout

Reaction score
Murray was clearly at fault for the pick 6 (that was a horse collar tackle) but Hump got abused for a sack. Garcia did for another. Those are the only 3 I can remember at the moment but the line was at fault for 2 of those 3.
Are you thinking of the one he sat down on? Because he literally could have avoided it by stepping up in the pocket. He literally just gave up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking of the one he sat down on? Because he literally could have avoided it by stepping up in the pocket. He literally just gave up.
Which one, the Humphries or Garcia one? If it was the Humphries one, even if he steps up he gets sacked.

Stout

Reaction score
No, i do not believe had plenty of time the vast majority of time in the pocket. He DID in fact hold on to the ball a number of times, he played like crap was rattled. I do NOT expect him to step up into the pocket and get absolutely crushed. All areas of the pocket were completely collapsing.. far more often than not there wasnt a pocket or lane to step up in. Its what happens when your guards suck and get pushed back.

No, i do not think any QB other then Rodgers or Brady would have succeeded last night. Not even Mahomes, he had better weapons in the super bowl last year and even he could not produce with similar offensive line. Kyler sucked last night period. Lots of quarterbacks would have perhaps sucked less, with only a few maybe being able to succeed with that line, those lack of weapons against that Rams defense.
Yeah, you're wrong. You don't get a clean pocket and 5-8 seconds to play QB in this league. Mahomes got pressured as much as, if not more than, KM did, and look what he did. You might not see it the same way because he stepped up, made snap decisions, and made his OL look better. KM threw his OL under the bus.

And, btw, I ABSOLUTELY expect my QB to step up in the pocket and get "absolutely crushed" if he's completing an important pass. That's what real QBs do--take a hit to make a play for the freaking team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall. The one where he just meekly sat down. Totally unnecessary.
I think he sat down twice, not sure which one it was either. I had to watch the stupid Mannings version of the game and I was jaded by the fact that I almost didn't get to watch the game at all. Probably would have been for the best...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose