Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem with Jaylen's analysis is Ayton is our bell cow at center and eats up the most minutes. Watching McGee play as long as I have, he's not a long minutes type of guy. Stix we don't know. So that would make Biyambo our bigger minutes guy by default. Ayton can hit the midrange shot which opens up the middle for us. I guess even if we play Sabonis at center as our big minutes guy, that means our PF spot is still missing. Unless we make Cam Johnson play there to get his shooting on the floor.

Suns still have Crowder but I'm not really into trading Ayton for Sabonis.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Everyone in the media is looking for the Suns to trade Ayton. What about Crowder? Cam Johnson said his minutes increase came because Crowder is out. With the way Johnson is playing, we need more minutes for him. Would that make Crowder a trade able piece instead? No one is looking at Crowder as a trade piece. Not that I am looking for or calling for that to happen, but with Johnson's rise, he has to get minutes somehow. (I was writing this as Mainstreet posted above. :) )

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We're a contender with the best record in the NBA. Ayton isn't getting traded.
It's getting hard to figure out pieces that would make the Suns better. We have a pretty good line up for our system.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jalen Rose suggests a trade where the main pieces would be Ayton for Sabonis.

My reaction--nah.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I love Sabonis he’s a baller but I don’t trust McGee, Smith or Stix enough to do it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's getting hard to figure out pieces that would make the Suns better. We have a pretty good line up for our system.

I do like the Suns roster.

I'm down to adding an insurance point guard (two-way contract) and a forward if the Suns clear a roster spot.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s gonna come down to money and I don’t see Sarver paying Ayton the max.

Sabonis only makes 20 a year and he’s locked up for the next 3

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s gonna come down to money and I don’t see Sarver paying Ayton the max.

Sabonis only makes 20 a year and he’s locked up for the next 3
Unless Sarver has decided to gut the team and sell it, I'd be very surprised if he didn't offer DA the max the first day he's allowed to do so.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Unless Sarver has decided to gut the team and sell it, I'd be very surprised if he didn't offer DA the max the first day he's allowed to do so.

The first day he’s allowed to was last August. The bigger elephant in the closet may be Cam Johnson being likely to command more than Mikal if he keeps progressing. Like the OKC example posted above we’re not paying both Ayton and Cam like they weren’t paying both Harden and Ibaka. Will be interesting to see what the roster looks like in 18 months.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first day he’s allowed to was last August. The bigger elephant in the closet may be Cam Johnson being likely to command more than Mikal if he keeps progressing. Like the OKC example posted above we’re not paying both Ayton and Cam like they weren’t paying both Harden and Ibaka. Will be interesting to see what the roster looks like in 18 months.

It will be interesting to see what ownership looks like in 18 months as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what ownership looks like in 18 months as well.

Damn I didn’t even consider that. You got to wonder if the drama/uncertainty causes Sarver to either spend or not spend depending whether there’s pressure to sell. Of course this all happens during a title window.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn I didn’t even consider that. You got to wonder if the drama/uncertainty causes Sarver to either spend or not spend depending whether there’s pressure to sell. Of course this all happens during a title window.

If he’s going to sell it’s in his best interest to not pay.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
At this point, it’s probably a mistake to think Sarver will have final say on anything. He’s not the outright owner of the team, if I remember correctly 75% of the team is owned by other people. Sarver just happens to be the majority owner.

I imagine some of the owners are gonn in g to be more scrupulous and involved in these decisions.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the NBA investigation will tell the story. It's hard to know what is going on behind the scene.

I would think the NBA would wait to release the results until after the season but they started the investigation during the season so who knows. Of course it could drag on until next season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he’s going to sell it’s in his best interest to not pay.
Why? Not all team suitors are cheapskates like Sarver was when he wanted to buy. There is some billionaire potential owner out there that wants to buy a winner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They could have paid both but they had a bad contract clogging up the cap with Perkins. Just like we do with Shamet. OKC shoulda stretched Perk but didn’t and blew having 3 of the best 6 players in the league. We need to jettison Shamet’s deal and use the money going to him to cover Cam and Ayton.

I also think if we don’t win the title this year, Cam is back but Mikal ends up the centerpiece of some kind of deal to get over the hump.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've had their explanation for why it wasn't done (whether it's believed or not) and those circumstances have nothing to do with their next opportunity to offer him the max.

And we're not OKC so we'll have to see what they do when faced with these kind of decisions. I think Sarver will spend whatever he thinks it will take to win a championship, up until we actually win one. Then he'll likely follow Mickey Arison's example in Miami.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Sarver is a cave man compared to today's PC requirements of leadership. He may be saying and acting wrong. That's different than actually having affairs or demanding sex from the women that work there. I think if it's just that he's been insensitive, they will just give him a hand slap. Big fine. Maybe sensitivity training. That should not impact him paying Ayton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Sarver is a cave man compared to today's PC requirements of leadership. He may be saying and acting wrong. That's different than actually having affairs or demanding sex from the women that work there. I think if it's just that he's been insensitive, they will just give him a hand slap. Big fine. Maybe sensitivity training. That should not impact him paying Ayton.
Yeah I think he has no idea how to deal with human beings as he has so little in common with them.

I really believe he will do what he can to try and win a championship but the problem is that he thinks he actually understands what has to be done. He doesn't. He should be relying on his management team instead of listening to that little voice in his head that keeps telling him he's the smartest person in the room.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah I think he has no idea how to deal with human beings as he has so little in common with them.

I really believe he will do what he can to try and win a championship but the problem is that he thinks he actually understands what has to be done. He doesn't. He should be relying on his management team instead of listening to that little voice in his head that keeps telling him he's the smartest person in the room.
Hard to do when you are rich and got that way by making big decisions.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to do when you are rich and got that way by making big decisions.
What's the saying, he was born on 3rd base but acts like he just hit a home run? He was a child of incredible privilege and it shows. Every time I hear about the things he's said and done I can't help but picture what Wallace and Ladmo's Gerald would be like when he grew up.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've had their explanation for why it wasn't done (whether it's believed or not) and those circumstances have nothing to do with their next opportunity to offer him the max.

And we're not OKC so we'll have to see what they do when faced with these kind of decisions. I think Sarver will spend whatever he thinks it will take to win a championship, up until we actually win one. Then he'll likely follow Mickey Arison's example in Miami.

The difference is Mickey Arison is a multi billionaire and is on record saying he didn’t make a dime during the Lebron era the team lost money every year.

The Heat are his hobby

Sarver’s main source of income is the Phoenix Suns and he’s one of the poorer owners in the NBA. He’s not a billionaire.

Sarver can’t afford for this team to lose money year after year chasing a ring

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is Mickey Arison is a multi billionaire and is on record saying he didn’t make a dime during the Lebron era the team lost money every year.

The Heat are his hobby

Sarver’s main source of income is the Phoenix Suns and he’s one of the poorer owners in the NBA. He’s not a billionaire.

Sarver can’t afford for this team to lose money year after year chasing a ring
Talk to Lebron and see if he sees a difference. Mickey pinched pennies at the worst possible time, I'm sure Sarver will too if we manage to win a championship in the next few years but I believe it's in his best financial interest to spend to win for awhile. How long? Who knows.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Talk to Lebron and see if he sees a difference. Mickey pinched pennies at the worst possible time, I'm sure Sarver will too if we manage to win a championship in the next few years but I believe it's in his best financial interest to spend to win for awhile. How long? Who knows.

AFTER they had won championships and after they paid everyone for years

We haven’t paid anyone or won anything yet

Sarver doesn’t care about his reputation he cares about the bottom line.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard