Jalen Smith

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought hes still RFA after this year, hes UFA? Cant imagine agent telling him to stay, no minutes for him if hes a 5…

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought hes still RFA after this year, hes UFA?
Yeah had we extended him that would have kept him under contract but once you decline the extension option he becames unrestricted after the season.

And we are limited to paying him the amount he could have been extended for while other teams will have the right to pay him as they choose so we may well lose him for nothing. Although the way he's playing he might bring us something of value in a midseason trade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah had we extended him that would have kept him under contract but once you decline the extension option he becames unrestricted after the season.

And we are limited to paying him the amount he could have been extended for while other teams will have the right to pay him as they choose so we may well lose him for nothing. Although the way he's playing he might bring us something of value in a midseason trade.
No he won’t. Teams won’t bother. Why give up something when they could just sign him to more than 5mil in the summer? And if another team does give up something, how good do you think that will be?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he won’t. Teams won’t bother. Why give up something when they could just sign him to more than 5mil in the summer? And if another team does give up something, how good do you think that will be?
I don't think we'll get full value but I could see a team in rebuild mode willing to give us an older player that's no longer in their plans.

If Jalen continues to show out the question could become, is the incoming piece worth as much to us in a playoff run as Smith is. There's a good chance we'll decide he helps us enough to keep him even though we'll lose him for nothing when the postseason ends.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I thought hes still RFA after this year, hes UFA? Cant imagine agent telling him to stay, no minutes for him if hes a 5…
Correct, he will be unrestricted. By declining his third-year option, the Suns gave up any inside track to keep him. In fact they are more restricted than any other team, because the Suns can offer only what his third-year option would have been, or less (about $5 million), whereas another team can offer whatever they want.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think we'll get full value but I could see a team in rebuild mode willing to give us an older player that's no longer in their plans.

If Jalen continues to show out the question could become, is the incoming piece worth as much to us in a playoff run as Smith is. There's a good chance we'll decide he helps us enough to keep him even though we'll lose him for nothing when the postseason ends.
We’re talking about Jalen Smith. Even now, full value ain’t that much. So getting less than that? The deadline is coming up soon, his value isn’t going to go much farther up, especially when our bigs get back.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re talking about Jalen Smith. Even now, full value ain’t that much. So getting less than that? The deadline is coming up soon, his value isn’t going to go much farther up, especially when our bigs get back.
He's only 21 and thanks to some unusual circumstances he's closer to being a rookie than a finished product so yeah, I think he's shown enough to attract real interest.

I know he's going back on the bench when everyone returns but I'd expect him to continue getting regular minutes although adding Biyombo might put him further back in the rotation. Anyway, I'm more concerned about the possibility (possibility, not a given) that he'll take a big step backwards once other teams start including him in their defensive preparation.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He's only 21 and thanks to some unusual circumstances he's closer to being a rookie than a finished product so yeah, I think he's shown enough to attract real interest.

I know he's going back on the bench when everyone returns but I'd expect him to continue getting regular minutes although adding Biyombo might put him further back in the rotation. Anyway, I'm more concerned about the possibility (possibility, not a given) that he'll take a big step backwards once other teams start including him in their defensive preparation.
As much as I’d like to have Biyombo, him staying is probably predicated solely on whether Javale is intending to stay beyond this season.

I don’t see him staying with the team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. I agree with Chap! This is four games. He would have to produce over a much longer time than this to get much attention, and Ayton is going to come back sometime soon, and Smiths' minutes will drop back, and all will be as it was.

If he really was going to be worth something, I would want to trade him now, immediately, while there is an opportunity to get a return. Saric and Smith plus a pick for Bagley or something (please do not rip on this idea, I am just giving some sort of example, not trying to formulate a proposal).

I think there is a good chance that we will resign Smith this summer to something slightly less than his present salary. He would have to do a lot more than this to get a bigger offer.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I agree with Chap! This is four games. He would have to produce over a much longer time than this to get much attention, and Ayton is going to come back sometime soon, and Smiths' minutes will drop back, and all will be as it was.

If he really was going to be worth something, I would want to trade him now, immediately, while there is an opportunity to get a return. Saric and Smith plus a pick for Bagley or something (please do not rip on this idea, I am just giving some sort of example, not trying to formulate a proposal).

I think there is a good chance that we will resign Smith this summer to something slightly less than his present salary. He would have to do a lot more than this to get a bigger offer.
I disagree. I think he's shown enough to impress some people. I'm not suggesting he's a superstar in the making but I do think he projects at a Richuan Holmes level and there's always a market for that kind of energetic defender.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've probably posted this somewhere else but I want to post it here as well.

Jalen Smith posterizes Plumlee. I think I can understand what he said afterwards.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I disagree. I think he's shown enough to impress some people. I'm not suggesting he's a superstar in the making but I do think he projects at a Richuan Holmes level and there's always a market for that kind of energetic defender.
Richaun Holmes? Really? Smith was a net negative before the last 4 games and now he's the same level as a regular starter in the NBA? I can't disagree more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Richaun Holmes? Really? Smith was a net negative before the last 4 games and now he's the same level as a regular starter in the NBA? I can't disagree more.
Nice job of changing my message. I offered my opinion and said he "projects as".

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
While I agree with the sample size Chap, it only takes 1 team to think you’re worth something and give you a shot. A team like the Bulls and Nets, who lack size, I could see taking a chance on someone like Jalen as a backup big. If he’s only going to be a backup center and not a 4, then his ceiling will be limited from a minute’s standpoint once we get McGee and DA back along with Biyombo being a better rim presence.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
While I agree with the sample size Chap, it only takes 1 team to think you’re worth something and give you a shot. A team like the Bulls and Nets, who lack size, I could see taking a chance on someone like Jalen as a backup big. If he’s only going to be a backup center and not a 4, then his ceiling will be limited from a minute’s standpoint once we get McGee and DA back along with Biyombo being a better rim presence.
Sure but would they give up?

It’s easy to say so and so team would like to have him but they aren’t going to give us anything of value in return.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whatever happens we win.
If they decide to keep him I've seen enough of him now to know we didn't "waste" that draft pick.
If he leaves we could still get something in return. I would like to keep him around...see if we can draw that monster out on a more regular basis.

The only knock I have on the kid is that HE couldn't address OUR PF problem.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sure but would they give up?

It’s easy to say so and so team would like to have him but they aren’t going to give us anything of value in return.
Oh I agree. But I was more speaking on offering him more than $5M per season and an opportunity with a larger role than what he currently has now. We shall see.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever happens we win.
If they decide to keep him I've seen enough of him now to know we didn't "waste" that draft pick.
If he leaves we could still get something in return. I would like to keep him around...see if we can draw that monster out on a more regular basis.

The only knock I have on the kid is that HE couldn't address OUR PF problem.

I'm not sure Stix will not eventually be able to play power forward. It's simply he is more of a center now.

If Stix stuck mostly with mid-range shots and those around the basket, he might give the Suns some minutes at power forward now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at how long it took Channing Frye to find his role in the league. Like Stix he was drafted in the lottery to play a specific role and didn't seem to be more than a big body until he was allowed to play how he was comfortable. I can see something similar happening with Stix only much quicker. It took Frye like 4-5 years while I can see Stix becoming a rotation player next year, somewhere.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh I agree. But I was more speaking on offering him more than $5M per season and an opportunity with a larger role than what he currently has now. We shall see.
If he continues like this until Ayton is back, that’s exactly going to happen.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My understanding is that we can only offer him his QO, and that would apply to any team that trades for him as well. Is this correct? If so, the better he plays, the less tradable he becomes. A young building team would be better off waiting and trying to sign him as as FA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My understanding is that we can only offer him his QO, and that would apply to any team that trades for him as well. Is this correct? If so, the better he plays, the less tradable he becomes. A young building team would be better off waiting and trying to sign him as as FA.
I think it is only us who are limitted in what we can offer him, any team that trades for him would not be limited, although, since he hasn't played 3 years they might not have bird rights.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is only us who are limitted in what we can offer him, any team that trades for him would not be limited, although, since he hasn't played 3 years they might not have bird rights.
We need to get verification on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave