Some players to focus on if you watch Saturday football

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those who don't want to go back and read.

OT
Evan Neal - Alabama: Huge human. Very athletic. Gone in the top 15.

Trevor Penning - Northern Iowa: Huge human. Very athletic. Leaner than Neal and film vs lower level competition. I like him better than some draft sites.

Charles Cross - Mississippi St.: Athletic. R-Sophomore. Needs better technical refinement but has excelled in a tough conference. I think he is a top 15 guy.

Rasheed Walker - Penn St.: Huge dude who just hasn't seemed to develop. RT IMO.

Daniel Faalele - Minnesota: Huge human. Raw. Athletic for 6'8 380lbs but probably a RT.

Tyler Vrabel - Boston College: RT. NFL bloodlines. Mean. Nice size. I like him coming out more than I liked Josh Jones.

Jaxson Kirkland - Washington: A lot of draft sites like him more than I do. Really finesse player IMO and not a tremendous mover despite that.

I haven't watched the Ohio St guys so I can't really comment on them yet.

OG (several of these players play OT but project inside)
Sean Rhyan - UCLA: Can play OT but length is better inside. He is not Rashawn Slater from what I have seen to be able to hang outside with his lack of length. Inside, good movement skills, nice redirect, will need to get stronger and explosive, but has the skills.

Kenyon Green - Texas A&M: Bruiser inside with tackle feet. (probably top 15)

Ikem Ekwonu - NC State: The Pancake King. Tape is misleading because he is not a OT. You want this guy going up against Donald. Is not the prospect Quenton Nelson was but plays with a similar demeanor. One of my favorites for AZ.

Darian Kinnard - Kentucky: He is a fringe RT/OG to me. I haven't seen enough to determine that yet. Another good power player though not as good as Green and Ekwonu. I think he fits AZ better than Rhyan.

Zion Johnson - Boston College: Similar to Ekwonu in that he is not an OT but that is where he is playing. Smart and physical. I wonder if he would be higher if BC didn't kick him out to OT. His development seems stagnant.

No opinion yet on Salyer out of Georgia or Tyler Smith out of Tulsa.

C
Tyler Linderbaum - Iowa: Jason Kelce mold and mindset. Kid is a beast and only viewed as a non-top 15 guy because of his size. Would love it if he fell to AZ and we drafted him even if he had to sit for a year or two.

Alec Lindstrom - Boston College: Brother plays in the NFL. Solid player though I feel like I want to see more. I could be too harsh.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So where do people see Brian Robinson Jr RB from Bama going what round? he's been backing up one stud after another, it's his year. He's not a burner but he's fast enough and the big surprise to me is he's a better receiver than I expected.

Not a first rounder I wonder if he's a 4th rounder or higher? Big guy but can catch the ball and he's the rare Bama RB that's not been overused in college by Saban.

Interesting guy I love Chase and I love Conner but would not be opposed to taking a RB 3rd round or later.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So where do people see Brian Robinson Jr RB from Bama going what round? he's been backing up one stud after another, it's his year. He's not a burner but he's fast enough and the big surprise to me is he's a better receiver than I expected.

Not a first rounder I wonder if he's a 4th rounder or higher? Big guy but can catch the ball and he's the rare Bama RB that's not been overused in college by Saban.

Interesting guy I love Chase and I love Conner but would not be opposed to taking a RB 3rd round or later.
Probably depends on how they resolve Conner and Chase being free agents. I would expect the Cardinals to draft a RB, and think it would be in rounds 3 or 4.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Free agency is going to have a big impact on our draft as well as cuts. I would imagine most thought that Kennard, Hicks, and Phillips would be possible roster cuts due to their contracts vs production. Now looking at it, I am not so sure. Phillips looks like a player who can make an impact. Hicks is a leader on the defense. Kennard has been very good in filling in for Chandler Jones.

Here are some of the questions that will need to be figured out as this will be a very deep draft due to the super senior year in college this season.

1-With Wilson and Murphy being 22 and 23, do we still need to spend a top 50 pick on a CB?

2-With Kennard and Golden under contract, do we need to spend a top 50 pick on an EDGE player? How does Chandler Jones and Gardeck being FAs impact that.

3-WRs under contract Hopkins, RMoore and Isabella. Is WR a huge priority? How much does re-signing Green (one of the oldest WRS in the league) and/or Kirk (super inconsistent) impact that?

There are a ton more, and obviously we have a lot of time before we have to figure those answers out, but still are interesting.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Free agency is going to have a big impact on our draft as well as cuts. I would imagine most thought that Kennard, Hicks, and Phillips would be possible roster cuts due to their contracts vs production. Now looking at it, I am not so sure. Phillips looks like a player who can make an impact. Hicks is a leader on the defense. Kennard has been very good in filling in for Chandler Jones.

Here are some of the questions that will need to be figured out as this will be a very deep draft due to the super senior year in college this season.

1-With Wilson and Murphy being 22 and 23, do we still need to spend a top 50 pick on a CB?

2-With Kennard and Golden under contract, do we need to spend a top 50 pick on an EDGE player? How does Chandler Jones and Gardeck being FAs impact that.

3-WRs under contract Hopkins, RMoore and Isabella. Is WR a huge priority? How much does re-signing Green (one of the oldest WRS in the league) and/or Kirk (super inconsistent) impact that?

There are a ton more, and obviously we have a lot of time before we have to figure those answers out, but still are interesting.

They absolutely need an edge rusher before day 3. As great as Golden has been you can forget he’s on the team for weeks at a time. I think CJ will be tagged and it won’t be a pretty situation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They absolutely need an edge rusher before day 3. As great as Golden has been you can forget he’s on the team for weeks at a time. I think CJ will be tagged and it won’t be a pretty situation.
Yup. And I fear much of Golden’s production is about to disappear with watt gone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Golden had very good pressure stats the previous two seasons so I wouldn't go down that road too far.
But that’s what I think we will see - Golden with pressure (like before he played with watt) instead of actually getting home and finishing with sacks (like when he played with watt). While pressures are good, they ain’t sacks.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But that’s what I think we will see - Golden with pressure (like before he played with watt) instead of actually getting home and finishing with sacks (like when he played with watt). While pressures are good, they ain’t sacks.
Disagree. IMO pressure rates are more important than sacks because of what it does to the opposing QB. Putting a QB under pressure and getting hits on him is equal to sacking him and if done at a high rate makes a QB more uncomfortable. Ideally you would have a player who gets both, but a sack is more of a luck factor similar to an INT.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Disagree. IMO pressure rates are more important than sacks because of what it does to the opposing QB. Putting a QB under pressure and getting hits on him is equal to sacking him and if done at a high rate makes a QB more uncomfortable. Ideally you would have a player who gets both, but a sack is more of a luck factor similar to an INT.
In actual fact a single pressure is not better than a sack unless it results in an interception - an extremely rare occurrence. Also your argument has a faulty premise that we get either golden’s pressures or sacks. No. We get the same (or likely less) pressures and less sacks combined with watt gone. It’s not like the pressures that golden generated are expected to go up because he has less sacks and more attention with watt out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In actual fact a single pressure is not better than a sack unless it results in an interception - an extremely rare occurrence. Also your argument has a faulty premise that we get either golden’s pressures or sacks. No. We get the same (or likely less) pressures and less sacks combined with watt gone. It’s not like the pressures that golden generated are expected to go up because he has less sacks and more attention with watt out.

This is one where you can both be right. If you get a QB pressure on 3rd and 10 and that forces an incomplete pass... that is almost as good as a sack, while providing the same likely scenario. (punt)

How many times has JJ been close to sacking the QB and still forced a negative play? If those were counted as 'sacks' his number would be insane.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is one where you can both be right. If you get a QB pressure on 3rd and 10 and that forces an incomplete pass... that is almost as good as a sack, while providing the same likely scenario. (punt)

How many times has JJ been close to sacking the QB and still forced a negative play? If those were counted as 'sacks' his number would be insane.
Uh no. In that 3rd and 10 situation the pressure is literally not as good as the sack as the sack results in a loss of yardage.

There’s no situation where a pressure is superior to a sack except when it results in an interception. And as I’ve said before, that’s rare. And it’s likely offset by the amount of sacks that result in fumbles.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh no. In that 3rd and 10 situation the pressure is literally not as good as the sack as the sack results in a loss of yardage.

There’s no situation where a pressure is superior to a sack except when it results in an interception. And as I’ve said before, that’s rare. And it’s likely offset by the amount of sacks that result in fumbles.
I didn't say literally, I said almost. Reading FTW.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could never have a quarterback called Pickett.

That name was designed for bad newspaper headlines. Automatic draft stock drop about 200 places.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kennard has been fine. Hes a mid tier guy who plays to the whistle. Philips should be kept as well considering that cutting him wouldn't save anything anyway.

I think CB won't be an issue. Sign a vet journeyman Alford type and draft a day three guy with measurables.
2-With Kennard and Golden under contract, do we need to spend a top 50 pick on an EDGE player? How does Chandler Jones and Gardeck being FAs measurable.
I would address edge high. Round 1 or 2 depending on how the draft plays out.

I'd probably look to resign Green. Hes probably not going to get offered much in free agency and you can tell Murray likes throwing to big guys.

I'd let Chandler walk. My thinking is that the defense hasn't completely collapsed when he has been out. The team was able to scheme pressure. Id look for a young guy with traits who is looking to prove something in FA and draft a young stud. Save $20 million that way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No they aren't sacks but pressure does help.

There have been seasons where Cardinals pass rushers had 10 sacks but few pressures outside the sacks. I'd rather have a guy with 4 sacks and a ton of pressures.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kennard has been fine. Hes a mid tier guy who plays to the whistle. Philips should be kept as well considering that cutting him wouldn't save anything anyway.

I think CB won't be an issue. Sign a vet journeyman Alford type and draft a day three guy with measurables.

I would address edge high. Round 1 or 2 depending on how the draft plays out.

I'd probably look to resign Green. Hes probably not going to get offered much in free agency and you can tell Murray likes throwing to big guys.

I'd let Chandler walk. My thinking is that the defense hasn't completely collapsed when he has been out. The team was able to scheme pressure. Id look for a young guy with traits who is looking to prove something in FA and draft a young stud. Save $20 million that way.

The only main problem with letting CJ walk is that the FA EDGE market next year is bad. All the best guys are older than CJ. It's even worse when you take out those that can't play stand up OLB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No they aren't sacks but pressure does help.

There have been seasons where Cardinals pass rushers had 10 sacks but few pressures outside the sacks. I'd rather have a guy with 4 sacks and a ton of pressures.
But that’s not what we are talking about. We are talking about the impact of watt being out on guys like golden. So it’s not that he’s going to get less sacks but more pressures. He’s going to get less of both. And yeah more of anything is better but that’s not what we are talking about either. Sacks are definitively better than pressures.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But that’s not what we are talking about. We are talking about the impact of watt being out on guys like golden. So it’s not that he’s going to get less sacks but more pressures. He’s going to get less of both. And yeah more of anything is better but that’s not what we are talking about either. Sacks are definitively better than pressures.
They are but pressures aren't worthless. A sack never leads to an interception. Never. Pressures do.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They are but pressures aren't worthless. A sack never leads to an interception. Never. Pressures do.
Show me anywhere anyone said a pressure is worthless. Show me anywhere that anyone even said anything remotely negative about a pressure.

A pressure can result in 3 things:
1. Completion
2. Incompletion
3. Interception

A sack can result in 2 things:
1. Loss of yardage and down
2. Fumble

So a pressure can still result in a positive play for the offense. A sack never can.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson