Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of me says Sarver is screwed. ESPN has been in the reporting business for a very long time. This isn't just a story that says Sarver is jerk, a-hole that cares more about money. That is the type of story you would expect.

This is ESPN making direct accusations of racism and sexual misconduct that could be criminal in nature or at the very least damage Sarver's reputation in the league. Unless ESPN is being the most incompetent it's ever been, you know their lawyers have read and re-read this entire story from a liability perspective. So, that part of me feels that ESPN is confident in the evidence.

If not? ESPN might be facing one of the largest lawsuits EVER. These accusations are not minor.

The other part of me questions the timing, the leak and the fact that so many people who have worked for him have already come to his defense saying they never have seen any sign of this EVER from Robert Sarver. Plus I have never heard of this reporter. Now factor in it appears ex-Suns employees were allegedly harassed for this story.

That part of me says...something stinks here.
I sort of agree. If they have every intention of running with this story, it would strain credulity to think Sarver wasn't guilty of at least some of the accusations. OTOH, if they've held off running it for a few months because they aren't sure of the validity, it's possible this is just a smear campaign by one or more people.

Let's face it, there's more than just one or two people that would be willing to smear Sarver. He's made more than a few enemies. My guess, Sarver is in trouble and we're looking at several months of misery.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case people didn't see it. Statement from Jason Rowley, President and CEO, on behalf of Suns Legacy Partners, LLC:

"This story is completely outrageous and false. It doesn’t represent – at all – the Robert Sarver I’ve worked alongside of for 15 years. He’s not a racist and he’s not a sexist. I will also say that reporter in this instance has shown a reckless disregard for the truth. He has harassed employees, former employees, and family members; used truths, half-truths and rumors to manufacture a story in which he’s heavily invested and then perpetuate a completely false narrative within the sports industry to back it up. His tactics throughout this process have been without any basis in journalism ethics or even morality.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I read the “story”?

Here are a couple of links talking about it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get his point? Does he expect the Suns organization to not try and get out in front of a damaging story?

I don't see him blaming the Suns for anything. I think he's saying the reporter who dropped the news a story is coming, from a completely different news organization, acted poorly and in doing so damages the actual story itself.

That initial tweet by Shultz definitely set some very strange expectations when it wasn't his place to be doing so. He's not involved other than "Hey everyone, I heard a really juicy story. I'm not going to say what it other than it involves the Suns owner and implies he's a sexist/bigot! Wait until you see it. Oh, I can't tell you when that will happen. Just trust me, its a doozy. " that is really poor journalism.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I read the “story”?
You can't. The fact the story was coming out and what it is about was leaked. Not the actual story yet. 98.7 is going to interview someone about the story at 5:30 but I don't expect much detail until the story drops.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see him blaming the Suns for anything. I think he's saying the reporter who dropped the news a story is coming, from a completely different news organization, acted poorly and in doing so damages the actual story itself.

That initial tweet by Shultz definitely set some very strange expectations when it wasn't his place to be doing so. He's not involved other than "Hey everyone, I heard a really juicy story. I'm not going to say what it other than it involves the Suns owner and implies he's a sexist/bigot! Wait until you see it. Oh, I can't tell you when that will happen. Just trust me, its a doozy. " that is really poor journalism.

seriously bad form within the industy, I'm sure.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I think I read him wrong. I didn't see anything wrong with the Suns getting out in front of it but I'm not sure that I fault Schultz either. It would depend on how he got the story. I wonder if Jordan's dad is connected in any way? I'm sure he still has a lot of NBA contacts.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't. The fact the story was coming out and what it is about was leaked. Not the actual story yet. 98.7 is going to interview someone about the story at 5:30 but I don't expect much detail until the story drops.

they should filet that guy. pretty bad form journalistically speaking. if you've now got the scoop, scoop it. if not, that's weak sauce.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
they should filet that guy. pretty bad form journalistically speaking. if you've now got the scoop, scoop it. if not, that's weak sauce.
How can they not release the story early now? We are leaking there is a Story but it's not coming until next week. It reportedly has XXXXX but you can't see it yet. My gosh. What a cluster. I bet the only thing holding it up is possible the legal team of ESPN. It won't come out until they are done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blowing someone else's story with rumors, no details and before they're ready to publish with no actual details is bush league.

if the initial tweeter has the story, then either they should be coming out with it or staying silent, IMO.

Exactly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Schultz to be on Arizona Sports shortly.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fifty to hundred people are part of the story. This guy says that this has been building for several years. He asked owners across the league and all the front offices said no they are not surprised.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earl Watson to be a part of story as well as Ryan McDonough?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earl Watson will be on record as well as other employees including McDonough. They said it will not be just anonymous sources.

UH OH.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Earl Watson is on the record. Apparently Rich Paul is involved. McD.

This sounds like a hit piece.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Here are a couple of links talking about it.

I know everyone is talking about it but I prefer to read the original story. I’ too old for this tweet stuff.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said as bad as people think the story might be "it's worse". Men and women on the record. He said he knows what some of the allegations are and what is in the report. He is confident this will be the end of Sarver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard