Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna be surprised if there’s a smoking gun here. With the story leaking and the Suns already responding, If there was a bunch of emails, one of them would have dropped by now like it did Gruden to let him hang himself before they unleashed the floodgates.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posters were defending the Ayton decision and saying Sarver deserved some slack after last... eh no.
I think I recall one poster saying Sarver deserved some slack but regardless, most of us that weren't attacking the decision to not max him weren't doing so in support of Robert.

I've been in the middle although I'm sure there's posters on both sides that think I'm firmly in the other camp. In my opinion you can justify giving him a max as easily as you can justify not offering him one. It isn't the slam dunk that the media has been acting like it should be.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So I think it's common knowledge that Schultz is not the reporter on this story. Do we have an idea who is? If you look at Jason Rowley's statement, could he be describing Amin?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the name Baxter Holmes mentioned on the radio I believe at Arizona Sports.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's going on but I find it interesting that we've heard nothing about this from ESPN yet. Not that it's necessarily good news or bad news for Suns fans but with the organization already responding to allegations yet to be released, silence says something.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's going on but I find it interesting that we've heard nothing about this from ESPN yet. Not that it's necessarily good news or bad news for Suns fans but with the organization already responding to allegations yet to be released, silence says something.

starting to thinking the same. if there was bombshell hard evidence like emails or audio, the suns have already given the story the rope needed to hang them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I think it's common knowledge that Schultz is not the reporter on this story. Do we have an idea who is? If you look at Jason Rowley's statement, could he be describing Amin?
They said the story belongs to ESPN and they will release it. However, this guy Baxter Holme evidently is an investigative report that worked on this story and uncovered much of the evidence that will be release. The Suns are attacking that guy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't think of anyone else he could be referring to.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said the story belongs to ESPN and they will release it. However, this guy Baxter Holme evidently is an investigative report that worked on this story and uncovered much of the evidence that will be release. The Suns are attacking that guy.

But where has he been attacking the Suns for 15 years with lies and innuendo? I know he's the lead on this but I think Rowley is talking about the reporter that has fed Baxter information.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But where has he been attacking the Suns for 15 years with lies and innuendo? I know he's the lead on this but I think Rowley is talking about the reporter that has fed him information.
I've never even heard of this "Baxter Holmes".

EDIT:
Who is Baxter Holmes?

Baxter Holmes (@Baxter) is a senior writer for ESPN Digital and Print, focusing on the NBA. He has covered the Lakers, the Celtics and previously worked for The Boston Globe and Los Angeles Times.Sep 27, 2021

LOL how about this conspiracy theory?
Baxter Holmes used to write about the Lakers and this story gets "leaked" on the day we play the Lakers? Coincidence? :)

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Having had time to digest, here are my thoughts:

1. Nothing surprises me here. Sarver has a reputation as being a dick head. Heard this from multiple people either with the Suns or from UofA. If any of this is true, it shouldnt shock anyone.

2. It's unethical journalism for a journalist to scoop another's story a week in advance. Sounds like ESPN had been working on this for months before. All this to be revealed by a random journalist through a tweet. Schultz deserves to take some heat here.

3. At the same time, ESPN is the same outlet that jumped the gun on a report that Ayton was paid $100k to attend UofA, which was categorically destroyed by other outlets to the point in which the original reporter went AWOL on social media three+ years later. I'd imagine that Mark Schlabach is not in charge of the Sarver story, so it should still carry water.

4. If any of this is true, Sarver has to sell the team and **** of the NBA.

5. This is not going to be good for the team on the court. Here's another story that's taking attention away from the Finals appearance to focus on the controversial nature of the front office and ownership. I can see this being a distraction and impacting the product on the floor. Now we get questions about Ayton and Sarver? Ugh.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But where has he been attacking the Suns for 15 years with lies and innuendo? I know he's the lead on this but I think Rowley is talking about the reporter that has fed Baxter information.

oh man... Are you saying you KNOW Amin is the lead on this? Or did I misunderstand that?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I've always thought that Sarver was an immature buffoon who was in over his head trying to own a major sports franchise, but didn't really see him as the racist/sexist type. If it's true, I wonder how he was able to hang on as long as he did. He's not good at his job and not especially wealthy or powerful, so why did it take so long for his victims to gang up on him?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having had time to digest, here are my thoughts:

1. Nothing surprises me here. Sarver has a reputation as being a dick head. Heard this from multiple people either with the Suns or from UofA. If any of this is true, it shouldnt shock anyone.

2. It's unethical journalism for a journalist to scoop another's story a week in advance. Sounds like ESPN had been working on this for months before. All this to be revealed by a random journalist through a tweet. Schultz deserves to take some heat here.

3. At the same time, ESPN is the same outlet that jumped the gun on a report that Ayton was paid $100k to attend UofA, which was categorically destroyed by other outlets to the point in which the original reporter went AWOL on social media three+ years later. I'd imagine that Mark Schlabach is not in charge of the Sarver story, so it should still carry water.

4. If any of this is true, Sarver has to sell the team and **** of the NBA.

5. This is not going to be good for the team on the court. Here's another story that's taking attention away from the Finals appearance to focus on the controversial nature of the front office and ownership. I can see this being a distraction and impacting the product on the floor. Now we get questions about Ayton and Sarver? Ugh.

yeah. this is nothing but bad, ESPECIALLY if it's just another awful Sarver story that doesn't lead to his expulsion from the league. then it's just another pile on an already pretty much universally reviled owner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he was just referring to what Rowley had said about the reporter of the story -- and Amin fits that description.

ah. gotcha.

thats the whole comment taking a flamethrower to the reporter about lies and his moral code thing?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh man... Are you saying you KNOW Amin is the lead on this? Or did I misunderstand that?

Not at all. I have no clue. But, having read Rowley's comments, I can't think of anyone else that he could be talking about and that's regardless or whether you believe Amin is truthful in his stories about the Suns (from Jason Rowley):

I will also say that reporter in this instance has shown a reckless disregard for the truth. He has harassed employees, former employees, and family members, used truths, half-truths, and rumors to manufacture as story in which he's heavily invested and then perpetuate a completely false narrative within the sports industry to back it up.

Reading it again, I still think Amin might be the motivation behind this story but mostly because I thought Rowley was saying it had been happening for 15 years. I misread that part, he was just saying it doesn't align with his 15 years in the organization. Which means, I have no idea who started this story.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of me says Sarver is screwed. ESPN has been in the reporting business for a very long time. This isn't just a story that says Sarver is jerk, a-hole that cares more about money. That is the type of story you would expect.

This is ESPN making direct accusations of racism and sexual misconduct that could be criminal in nature or at the very least damage Sarver's reputation in the league. Unless ESPN is being the most incompetent it's ever been, you know their lawyers have read and re-read this entire story from a liability perspective. So, that part of me feels that ESPN is confident in the evidence.

If not? ESPN might be facing one of the largest lawsuits EVER. These accusations are not minor.

The other part of me questions the timing, the leak and the fact that so many people who have worked for him have already come to his defense saying they never have seen any sign of this EVER from Robert Sarver. Plus I have never heard of this reporter. Now factor in it appears ex-Suns employees were allegedly harassed for this story.

That part of me says...something stinks here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of me says Sarver is screwed. ESPN has been in the reporting business for a very long time. This isn't just a story that says Sarver is jerk, a-hole that cares more about money. That is the type of story you would expect.

This is ESPN making direct accusations of racism and sexual misconduct that could be criminal in nature or at the very least damage Sarver's reputation in the league. Unless ESPN is being the most incompetent it's ever been, you know their lawyers have read and re-read this entire story from a liability perspective. So, that part of me feels that ESPN is confident in the evidence.

If not? ESPN might be facing one of the largest lawsuits EVER. These accusations are not minor.

The other part of me questions the timing, the leak and the fact that so many people who have worked for him have already come to his defense saying they never have seen any sign of this EVER from Robert Sarver. Plus I have never heard of this reporter. Now factor in it appears ex-Suns employees were allegedly harassed for this story.

That part of me says...something stinks here.

Yeah. ESPN already did a Sarver stinks story just like three years ago. If another one is coming you’d have to think there’s some mustard on the fast ball they’re about to throw.