Season Opener: Nuggets @ Suns Wednesday game thread 10-20-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton's comments seem mature as he says he is focused on getting back to Finals.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You clearly didn’t watch the game.

You're right. I didn't, as I am currently in Greece. But the stats are obvious. Look at the awful production of Jae C and Cam J and compare it to the Denver power forwards.

If the team is counting on the backcourt to carry it all season, it is in for a rude awakening.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One position cost the Suns this game. Take a wild guess which one...
You're right. I didn't, as I am currently in Greece. But the stats are obvious. Look at the awful production of Jae C and Cam J and compare it to the Denver power forwards.

If the team is counting on the backcourt to carry it all season, it is in for a rude awakening.

Lol. Can Johnson was only one of three players that showed up tonight. We lost because Booker was atrocious at 3-15 shooting and Ayton completely disappeared after the first quarter.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol. Can Johnson was only one of three players that showed up tonight. We lost because Booker was atrocious at 3-15 shooting and Ayton completely disappeared after the first quarter.

How is 4-10 shooting and 2 rebounds "showing up"?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Stop the excuses. We clearly lost because we didn’t have Trey frickin’ Lyles.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"We lost for one reason and one reason only"

Next post:

"I didn't watch the game at all"

I don't get how this guy got unbanned... twice.

@cheesebeef can you still cash in on your "Suns will make the playoffs in 2020" bet?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh

1 game now if we are still like this at the all star break then we got problems.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a tough opening night.

The defense wasn't able to help ignite the offense which is normally the case. Communication or lack thereof was a part of it. Nuggets were getting wide open 3-point shots. Booker and Crowder combined on 3-20 shooting.

Perhaps the most frustrating is that I think the Suns have improved their roster with Shamet and McGee.

Time to flush the game and move on.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My bigger concern (at least for this season) than Ayton checking out and the need for a power forward, although both remain, is Booker checking out due to his perception that ownership/management, in not adding much during the offseason (and in particular in not filling the hole at power forward, not utilizing all of the salary cap exemptions and leaving a roster spot open) and in not extending Ayton, isn't committed to doing what it takes to win it all. Last night's performance did nothing to quell that concern. Time will tell how founded that concern is...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were more physical down low with all of our guys, almost reckless. I saw several times suns getting knocked down. McGee got undercut on a free throw. They were just more aggressive.

Barton showed up and backed up his words. I’m not worried about Booker.

The one area that will come up again and will be overlooked by Monty are Crowder and Cam’s minutes and production.

One last thing to watch is the substitution patterns. We will see if they make adjustments as Booker comes back from covid. I did notice he back in the game late around the 7min mark I think.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They were more physical down low with all of our guys, almost reckless. I saw several times suns getting knocked down. McGee got undercut on a free throw. They were just more aggressive.

Barton showed up and backed up his words. I’m not worried about Booker.

The one area that will come up again and will be overlooked by Monty are Crowder and Cam’s minutes and production.

One last thing to watch is the substitution patterns. We will see if they make adjustments as Booker comes back from covid. I did notice he back in the game late around the 7min mark I think.
Yeah Book only played 30 minutes last night. He’s gonna have to find his legs. Lots of shots short. It was a weird game. We didn’t play very well but we were still in striking distance. Gotta flush it. We’ll regroup

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just cannot get into this season. I am old enough to know the disappointment of the past seasons following a championship run. I think there is about a 90% chance this season will not go as well as last year and be a disappointment. Good luck to all of you. My time here will be sparse this year.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just cannot get into this season. I am old enough to know the disappointment of the past seasons following a championship run. I think there is about a 90% chance this season will not go as well as last year and be a disappointment. Good luck to all of you. My time here will be sparse this year.
We started 8-8 last season man….who knows if we get back to the Finals. But no matter what, we know this team will give every ounce of effort they have. We’ll be ok. Honestly, I’m over the Finals loss. Not because it’s easy but it’s incredibly hard to win in sports. If you had told any of us we’d be in the Finals with a 2-0 lead we ALL would’ve taken that. It’s not going to be easy, but I wouldn’t want it any other way

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... that’s the fastest jump ship I’ve ever seen from a fan who’s normally pretty upbeat about the Suns.

That said, I don’t begrudge it. Team has a bit of a cloud over its head with the Ayton decision (right or wrong) and I think in general, people are kind of exhausted about... well... everything in the world right now and I know you’ve had a year worse than most.

I hope the team turns it around and give you some rays of Sunshine. Lord knows all of us could it at this point.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This was a predictable loss IMO, nothing you can do when Michael Porter Jr, who couldn't hit a shot in the playoffs, is shooting like Steph Curry out there. Denver was predictably more hungry, more aggressive, and were more pissed off about getting absolutely destroyed by us in the playoffs. It is concerning to me that the team didn't come out hungry for the home opener, how many times are we going to see that this year?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My bigger concern (at least for this season) than Ayton checking out and the need for a power forward, although both remain, is Booker checking out due to his perception that ownership/management, in not adding much during the offseason (and in particular in not filling the hole at power forward, not utilizing all of the salary cap exemptions and leaving a roster spot open) and in not extending Ayton, isn't committed to doing what it takes to win it all. Last night's performance did nothing to quell that concern. Time will tell how founded that concern is...
Booker is still rusty it's obvious, and understandable. Effort was good on defense, his shot just wasn't falling.

Not worried at all.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever. Suns will be 10-2 in a couple weeks and all this drama will be forgotten.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't mentioned toke hit in a while on suns forum maybe i jinxed opening night lol I'll do it vs la lakers

Ugh hard couple of gms to start season

Im sure suns rebound have a good season make poffs with paul and dbook wont let suns miss poffs!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree 1000 percent!

Denver overpaying MPJ should not mean the Suns should overpay Ayton. Ayton wasn't even lowballed on salary, he would be earning more than CP3 and Booker annually but since the Suns didn't want a 5th year that doesn't mean he's not valued.

No one who talks about that mentions how Denver didn't guarantee the final year of MPJ's deal, which means what he got is almost identical to what the Suns tried offering Ayton only without the sort of empty gesture of adding a non guaranteed year, which would handicap them in replacing CP3.
I think he was 6/7 from the floor shooting. Super efficient game for MPJ. I think it was EJ who marveled after the game, why didn't Denver get him the ball more?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he was 6/7 from the floor shooting. Super efficient game for MPJ. I think it was EJ who marveled after the game, why didn't Denver get him the ball more?
Either Ayton's agent is really dumb or Ayton is letting his pride get in his way. He takes the 4 year deal he hits unrestricted free agency a year early and has a shot at more money quicker. Now even if he avoids a career ending injury and makes it through the season he has to hope there is a team out there that wants to stick it to PHX and offer a max contract and force Sarver to match. But if a team does that they better want Ayton because if PHX declines their left on the hook. PHX is still in driver's seat, they can match any offer low or max and Ayton goes nowhere. The only option for Ayton is to ball out at a max player level this season or he will lose money.

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose