The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaren Jackson Jr. signed an extension for 4 years/ $105 million. It's hard to believe the Suns wouldn't offer Ayton that.

If they didn't and paid Bridges 4 years/ $90 million there must be more.
Is it though? Based on what? Our stellar track record under Sarver?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank god for the Cardinals.

who the hell would have expected that after last year's finals run and the last atrocious five years over in Glendale.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it though? Based on what? Our stellar track record under Sarver?

Sarver committed to potentially paying a lot of money this off season. Why not on Ayton?

Paul $120 million, Payne $19 million, Shamet $43 million, Bridges $90 million, McGee $5 million.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also sorry to say this, but Bridges is the Hedo Turkoglu of the pupu platter along with Shamet and whatever MLE guy they sign next year.

we just shelled out 133 million bucks to two role players... and told Ayton, the only young with superstar potential that we also saw PLAY OUT in the playoffs to kick rocks.

and yes, Bridges is a role player guys. a GREAT role player, but a role player nonetheless.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver committed to potentially paying a lot of money this off season. Why not on Ayton?

Paul $120 million, Payne $19 million, Shamet $43 million, Bridges $90 million, McGee $5 million.

you know that 120 million is a lie. Payne came back at a shocking discount and Shamet/Bridges is a way to say "hey look! we spend money... when it's not huge money and has almpst zero risk." Don't get me started on McGee. That's a good signing but we still have almost half of the MLE sitting there that's going to waste... in a year where we are going for a damn title.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
ESPN analyst and former NBA center Kendrick Perkins made the point on NBA Today that everyone needs to be focused to go on a title run.

“The man deserves his dollars.”

I believe Kendrick Perkins. He has never lead me wrong in his analysis.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
ESPN analyst and former NBA center Kendrick Perkins made the point on NBA Today that everyone needs to be focused to go on a title run.

“The man deserves his dollars.”

I believe Kendrick Perkins. He has never lead me wrong in his analysis.
Title run? Yes. But DA waltzed through his first 3 years and was suspended for PEDS for 25 games. He never looked like a max player until the playoffs and then he reverted to his old self in the final games 2-6. Yes, these guys all say he deserves his dollars but they are not paying him. DA has stated from the beginning he was playing for his second contract. But he didn't. He didn't look like a max player and he did not play like one. Sure, let's pay him the max and watch him revert to his old self. I hope I am wrong and we pay him the max and he lives up to it. But he has shown no history of doing this. Thus the doubt.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Title run? Yes. But DA waltzed through his first 3 years and was suspended for PEDS for 25 games. He never looked like a max player until the playoffs and then he reverted to his old self in the final games 2-6. Yes, these guys all say he deserves his dollars but they are not paying him. DA has stated from the beginning he was playing for his second contract. But he didn't. He didn't look like a max player and he did not play like one. Sure, let's pay him the max and watch him revert to his old self. I hope I am wrong and we pay him the max and he lives up to it. But he has shown no history of doing this. Thus the doubt.
Say he plays well the next season. What erases the doubt he may regress when he gets the contract? This prove it thing is a smoke screen for, we aren't going to pay him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say he plays well the next season. What erases the doubt he may regress when he gets the contract? This prove it thing is a smoke screen for, we aren't going to pay him.

I hate to agree with this, but I'm leaning that way as well. when do "prove it" deals ever work out well for a team shoving that in a young player's face? You'll probably say well, it doesn't happen that often. and you'd be right... especially on an ascending team bursting with a perfect blend of young and old talent that not only sets them up for a run RIGHT NOW, but as the young talent totally matures (let's remember we're talking about Booker 24, Bridges 25 and Ayton, 23) they form their own nucleus for a continued run of success.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sarver deserves the worst possible outcome. This summer the Suns will sign-and-trade Ayton to the lakers for Horton-Tucker and a 2028 pick.

Then I can go back to ignoring the playoffs for a decade as Ayton wins 3 championships in LA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver deserves the worst possible outcome. This summer the Suns will sign-and-trade Ayton to the lakers for Horton-Tucker and a 2028 pick.

Then I can go back to ignoring the playoffs for a decade as Ayton wins 3 championships in LA.

Sarver deserves negative repercussions but I won't root for those through the Suns. I hope he's audited by the IRS and they find some dirty money so he's forced to sell but still faces jail time. Or maybe Ayton decides to bag Sarver's wife which causes his marriage to implode which leads to a divorce that forces Sarver to sell as part of the settlement. Bottomline, I don't wish ill on the Suns to get to Sarver. There are ways he can suffer without the team and it's fans suffering.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It casts a sense of melancholy over the season.

I'm not looking forward to delving into this topic almost every game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver deserves negative repercussions but I won't root for those through the Suns. I hope he's audited by the IRS and they find some dirty money so he's forced to sell but still faces jail time. Or maybe Ayton decides to bag Sarver's wife which causes his marriage to implode which leads to a divorce that forces Sarver to sell as part of the settlement. Bottomline, I don't wish ill on the Suns to get to Sarver. There are ways he can suffer without the team and it's fans suffering.
Lol. It sucks that we’re back in the place.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It casts a sense of melancholy over the season.

I'm not looking forward to delving into this topic almost every game.

Yeah... same. I’m getting my frustrations out now and going to really just try to enjoy the season for what it is and hope the sneak a title before Sarver’s stupidity breaks up what should have been a ten year window of opportunity.

That said, there will be a poster here who now makes this board a living hell, reading into every look, comment, loss, etc. And there really isn’t much blame to go except for Sarver. And some it will probably even be warranted. Not ALL mind you, but there will be things during the season that I’m sure will make us want to pull our hair out at times.

Or Maybe Ayton just goes out there, beasts it all season and we win a title? Who knows.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to agree with this, but I'm leaning that way as well. when do "prove it" deals ever work out well for a team shoving that in a young player's face? You'll probably say well, it doesn't happen that often. and you'd be right... especially on an ascending team bursting with a perfect blend of young and old talent that not only sets them up for a run RIGHT NOW, but as the young talent totally matures (let's remember we're talking about Booker 24, Bridges 25 and Ayton, 23) they form their own nucleus for a continued run of success.
This is what bothers me. If Sarver is willing to use the "your not up to snuff" when it comes to your peers to avoid paying him now? What is to stop him from saying, "well you are not playing consistent enough so that's why we can't pay you what you want"...later?!?!

I just don't get why you would take a player in Ayton who has proven TO GET IN HIS OWN HEAD and take a chance screwing with this guys dome all season long coming off a title run last year?!!?!?!?

WHY?!?!?!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has to look at that Shamet deal and think they overpaid THIS guy, more than Payne, taking money off my table and he hasn’t even played a second for us yet? I mean... he’s probably happy for the player but has to be looking at the front office thinking WTF? He deserves an overpay but I don’t? We don’t even know if he’s going to be good on this team, but the team is willing to take risk there?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just want to know what team would pay him Max money and expect him to be a number 1 or 2 player on their team? You want to talk about frustrated fans.
I’m not quite sure I understand what you are saying.

if you mean he can not be a number 1 or 2 scoring option on most teams I agree, but he is a better version of GoBert who is getting max money.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton has to look at that Shamet deal and think they overpaid THIS guy, more than Payne, taking money off my table and he hasn’t even played a second for us yet? I mean... he’s probably happy for the player but has to be looking at the front office thinking WTF? He deserves an overpay but I don’t? We don’t even know if he’s going to be good on this team, but the team is willing to take risk there?
I don’t agree with this. If you don’t think the team knows exactly the kind of player Shamet is after a month of practices you are just wrong.

I actually think he has shown enough point guard skills he may end up taking a lot of Payne’s minutes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t agree with this. If you don’t think the team knows exactly the kind of player Shamet is after a month of practices you are just wrong.

I actually think he has shown enough point guard skills he may end up taking a lot of Payne’s minutes.
Time will tell.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
"Ayton averaged 16.3 points, 10.3 rebounds and a block a game during the NBA season in 2020-2021. Among Ayton's playoff successes, according to ESPN's Stats & Information, he had the highest field goal percentage (66 percent) in NBA history in the postseason and shot 50 percent in 17 straight playoff games, trailing only Shaquille O'Neal (2006) for the longest in league history. Ayton held NBA Finals MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo to 53 percent shooting as the primary defender in Finals. Antetokounmpo shot 70 percent against the rest of the team.
Ayton and Paul's partnership was one of the most productive in the league a season ago, with Paul assisting on 143 Ayton baskets; only Golden State's Steph Curry and Draymond Green had more as a combination." - Woj and Windhorst ESPN

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The decision to not sign Ayton NOW may be the thing that brings the Larry to Phoenix. my glass half full hope

Ayton HAS to play his best basketball now or wither into a puddle of sulking crybaby and be useless. Either way we will finally know what we got with that #1 pick.
If he becomes The Dominatricks or whatever he's calling himself now. We then sign him or if he's still butthurt he leaves. If he leaves we would get a ton in return maybe a future point god for Booker and Mikal or a center that's not afraid of the rim maybe we could even afford Cam J.

Yes I do hate that this seems to happen to the Suns a lot and if I ever saw Sarver on fire on the side of the road I MIGHT stop to help beat the fire out with my tire iron.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Ayton would risk playing for the qualifying offer of $16 million and become a free agent.

Most likely if he wants out he will accept a sign-and-trade after the season or the Suns decide to trade him this season but it's hard to bring a comparable player back on his current salary.

In other words, the Joe Johnson scenario...