The Ayton Plan

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton needs to be more of an offensive force that can carry a team in crunch time. He hasn't even come close to that. Right now he's 4yrs 105 mill guy not 5 180 mill guy. MPJ was gifted the MAX by Denver...that's on them..now he's playing the respect card when for 5 months out of the season he couldnt catch a pass. Yes great playoff run but nows the time where you show youre a dominant big man. If not he will be traded and that's just the way it has to be cause I don't want a MAX Ayton just being able to get us into the playoffs to only lose in the 1st round every year. Dominant Ayton = a championship

Dont forget the suspension, isn't that disrespect to the team and franchise especially as the #1 draft pick. Ayton has some questionable views about himself.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont forget the suspension, isn't that disrespect to the team and franchise especially as the #1 draft pick. Ayton has some questionable views about himself.
Yeah there's definitely two sides to this story. But still, I think we should have paid him because not doing so might force our hand - better to keep all our options in play.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah there's definitely two sides to this story. But still, I think we should have paid him because not doing so might force our hand - better to keep all our options in play.

I agree. I can totally understand the suns side of things though. I'm sure there is input from coaching staff and the GM as well. This is not a clear cut case of "pay the man", but the market is set and due to our roster and timeframe the best thing to do was probably to pay him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The theme was going around yesterday that if Ayton hadn't sacificed his offensive game for the good of the team by playing defense, setting screens, rebounding, etc., he would have been offered more money like the other max players who had better stats.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The theme was going around yesterday that if Ayton hadn't sacificed his offensive game for the good of the team by playing defense, setting screens, rebounding, etc., he would have been offered more money like the other max players who had better stats.

He definitely would have had shinier offensive stats that would have made his averages stand out better next MPJ and Shai.

I’ll be honest, I got my pissiness out of my system yesterday. It is what it is and banging an anger drum all season is pointless.

Bring on the defense of the Western Conference Totke and let’s finish the job and bring the Larry O to Phoenix before Sarvers stupidity melts the Suns down!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He definitely would have had shinier offensive stats that would have made his averages stand out better next MPJ and Shai.

I’ll be honest, I got my pissiness out of my system yesterday. It is what it is and banging an anger drum all season is pointless.

Bring on the defense of the Western Conference Totke and let’s finish the job and bring the Larry O to Phoenix before Sarvers stupidity melts the Suns down!

Yes, yesterday was a downer when Ayton wasn't extended but we are not running the franchise. I hope it was more than just about stats.

Now I plan to put most of my focus on the season. However, as we know, this is going to be a reoccurring topic on the forum and in the media until it gets resolved.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a way I want to hear Sarver defend this but at the same time I'd rather he didn't. He should keep his mouth shut and stay out of the public eye as much as possible. If asked anything Suns related then he should give a no comment because there's nothing to be gained by his words.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a way I want to hear Sarver defend this but at the same time I'd rather he didn't. He should keep his mouth shut and stay out of the public eye as much as possible. If asked anything Suns related then he should give a no comment because there's nothing to be gained by his words.

I thoroughly agree with this although I hope we find out what Ayton was offered.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The John Collins situation in Atlanta played out eerily similar going back to Ayton's PED suspension. Collins got suspended for PED's like 2 weeks after Ayton, same 25 game penalty, tanked the Hawks season, asked for the max last offseason and was told to prove it. Hawks made it to the ECF and were a Trae Young injury from making it to the NBA finals this year with Collins being a vital part of their run. This summer as a restricted free agent he signed with the Hawks for $125 million, which was $5 million more annually than he was offered last year and everyone was happy.

That is the most recent situation to Ayton's. That worked out, this can work out.

Not that anyone really wanted it to hang over the team all season but there's nothing we can do about that at this point, especially as fans on the sideline.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Ayton situation really is very similar to the John Collins situation.

While I think Ayton is better than Collins, he is not really a guy you want to pay max money. That said, if I were Sarver I would have just for the sake of team chemistry.

Just like with Collins I think this plays out the same way, the Suns end up signing Deandre next offseason for at or just above the max another team can offer him.

Unless Ayton balls out and truly shows his worth this season, than I think he will get the full max.

I mean if we are totally honest - is there anything Ayton did last season that Miles Turner or Jarett Allen could not have done for us? Ayton cannot create good shots on his own. If he wants to prove to the team he is worth full max that is what he needs to demonstrate he can do this season.

This is laughable.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thoroughly agree with this although I hope we find out want Ayton was offered.

I want to find out also because I'm an inquisitive fans who craves details but if I can't find out because Sarver isn't talking then I'll be ok with it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to find out also because I'm an inquisitive fans who craves details but if I can't find out because Sarver isn't talking then I'll be ok with it.

I'm hoping the information has already been leaked and we will hear more later with specifics.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver is an idiot. He just guaranteed this will be a distraction all season long. The media is going to bring it up every single time Ayton has a great game saying the Suns should have gotten it done. Then when he has a bad stretch? They are going to say maybe it was the right move. Either way it's a no win situation for the franchise all season long.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The John Collins situation in Atlanta played out eerily similar going back to Ayton's PED suspension. Collins got suspended for PED's like 2 weeks after Ayton, same 25 game penalty, tanked the Hawks season, asked for the max last offseason and was told to prove it. Hawks made it to the ECF and were a Trae Young injury from making it to the NBA finals this year with Collins being a vital part of their run. This summer as a restricted free agent he signed with the Hawks for $125 million, which was $5 million more annually than he was offered last year and everyone was happy.

That is the most recent situation to Ayton's. That worked out, this can work out.

Not that anyone really wanted it to hang over the team all season but there's nothing we can do about that at this point, especially as fans on the sideline.
Im sure Ayton will prove this season his max status. But, there are two fundamental problems here:

1. Perception of the team - This continues to be an issue and is not good for PR and luring talent over here. Phoenix needs every reason to convince future FAs to come to Phoenix instead of going to big markets to form super teams. This doesnt help. Plus, if Ayton leaves, we're not luring in another player of his caliber

2. Exposing him to free agency - Even as a RFA, he can field offers from other teams and another team can get tricky with the structure of a contract to make it tough for Phoenix to match. Plus, in the environment of a player-entitled market, all it takes is for Ayton to tell Phoenix not to match and to let him go. I'd think this wouldnt be an issue and Ayton would sign the max with Phoenix anyway, but you dont want leaving to be an option for him to consider in any form or fashion. Ayton is a pretty prideful guy, so anything's possible

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The entire league thinks Sarver pooped the bed. The Suns don’t need his arrogance on display after.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire league thinks Sarver pooped the bed. The Suns don’t need his arrogance on display after.
He is getting ripped across the league. You should hear some of the national sports radio shows. I was flipping and I heard it come up at least 3 times.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is getting ripped across the league. You should hear some of the national sports radio shows. I was flipping and I heard it come up at least 3 times.

Yeah. Him talking can only make a really bad situation much worse.

Also, anyone who doesn’t think this stink and Sarver becoming Sarver again won’t hurt us with possible buyout guys I think is naive. It just made the franchise look really bad. You’re going for a title and throw this crap into the season?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was this James Jones or Sarver? That's my question. If Ayton earns a max offer this year, he will get it from the Suns. I doubt he will play for the qualifying offer. In fact, the Suns do not have to make the Qualifying offer when the time comes. They can just make the max offer. (I think they can do that).

I have no idea whether I am a fan of this or not. It's not my money. I would love to have Ayton settled here, but secretly I have feared that DA will coast once the deal is done. If the decision-maker on this is Jones, I am not as concerned. If it's Sarver, then yes, its a worry.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ultimately, Ayton is the only one who will decide whether or not he stays here. We all know he wants to be here, but Sarver so far is unwilling to pay his market value. It's completely understandable that he's pissed, and that he feels disrespected.

Playing chicken with a great young player with the potential to be a superstar is just so dumb on so many levels. Between creating a major distraction, to bringing back fear of past sins, to taking the shine off quick from a finals appearance, it's just a crappy way to go into the season.

Here's hoping it all works out, but I wish we weren't held hostage by an owner that made decisions based on fiscal responsibility, not winning a championship.

David Kevin articulates the Ayton situation, and the cap in general here - https://thefourpointplay.substack.com/p/vol3-iss5-projecting-forward

Well worth a read.

Reactions: TJ

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard