The Ayton Plan

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The decision to not sign Ayton NOW may be the thing that brings the Larry to Phoenix. my glass half full hope

Ayton HAS to play his best basketball now or wither into a puddle of sulking crybaby and be useless. Either way we will finally know what we got with that #1 pick.
If he becomes The Dominatricks or whatever he's calling himself now. We then sign him or if he's still butthurt he leaves. If he leaves we would get a ton in return maybe a future point god for Booker and Mikal or a center that's not afraid of the rim maybe we could even afford Cam J.

Yes I do hate that this seems to happen to the Suns a lot and if I ever saw Sarver on fire on the side of the road I MIGHT stop to help beat the fire out with my tire iron.

This is the stuff that kills me. Oh now he’s really gonna be motivated.

Dude if a guy tells me he wants incentives built into my contract to me that says hey I think I can get better and be all NBA. That’s his motivation right there.

And if he does become all NBA then he’s worth every penny.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t agree with this. If you don’t think the team knows exactly the kind of player Shamet is after a month of practices you are just wrong.

I actually think he has shown enough point guard skills he may end up taking a lot of Payne’s minutes.

They were going to pay him anyway. Monty and his ridiculously I’d want my daughter to marry a guy like him quote could tell you that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching the PHNX Sports podcast on YouTube today.

Did Ayton go public to Duane Rankin about the negotiations on his extension?

This was mentioned twice during the podcast the first time at the 19:30 mark.

I know Adrian Wojnarowski had reported earlier on the negotiations as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PHX is going to let other teams set the market for him and match at least Sarver better or the fan base will revolt like it never has before if Ayton walks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other Suns players like Mikal Bridges had remained quiet about contract negotiations during the off season. Might this have irritated Sarver?

I'm not saying it should have stopped a deal from getting done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHX is going to let other teams set the market for him and match at least Sarver better or the fan base will revolt like it never has before if Ayton walks.

If the Suns don't keep Ayton next summer or sign someone comparable, Suns fans will revolt. They don't forget... much like how they didn't forget when Joe Johnson wasn't extended or at least the knowledgeable fans.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Suns don't keep Ayton next summer or sign someone comparable, Suns fans will revolt. They don't forget much like how they didn't forget when Joe Johnson wasn't extended or at least the knowledgeable fans.

The problem is that Sarver doesn't care...

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The problem is that Sarver doesn't care...

I actually think Sarver cares. His problem is similar to yours. He falsely believes that he is the smartest guy in the room. He made tons of money as a banker so he believes that correlates into knowing what it takes to win a championship. The problem is that a lot of the concepts that he used to make money in banking don’t translate to the NBA. Every time he allows others to make basketball decisions, and the Suns get close, he convinces himself that he knows what it takes to get over the hill and he can’t stop himself from trying to be the one who is responsible for that final push. But in the end all he does is drag us back down to the bottom.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still think Book wants KAT and that's the real issue. Only way you landing KAT is with Ayton

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I still think Book wants KAT and that's the real issue. Only way you landing KAT is with Ayton

Ayton plus Bridges or Shamet, plus a draft pick. Something tells me that's where we're headed, and it will render us a weaker team.

At this stage, given KAT's lack of work ethic and defense, I wouldn't do Ayton for KAT straight up.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton plus Bridges or Shamet, plus a draft pick. Something tells me that's where we're headed, and it will render us a weaker team.

At this stage, given KAT's lack of work ethic and defense, I wouldn't do Ayton for KAT straight up.

Pardon me while I take a crap on your bull ****. But, given that Bridges AND Shamet just signed extensions that won't kick in for a year... that imagined, trollish, disaster, is not even a possibility under the league's rules.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pardon me while I take a crap on your bull ****. But, given that Bridges AND Shamet just signed extensions that won't kick in for a year... that imagined, trollish, disaster, is not even a possibility under the league's rules.

It actually is, if the trade is consummated next summer.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am going to go against the flow here and say this will end up being a good thing. Ayton will become a restricted free agent entering next off season, someone will make him a big offer, the Suns will match and he will stay in Phoenix for the next several years, happy as a clam, respected and extremely rich.

Since Ayton has been with the Suns, folks on this board have been ripping him for his effort, his decision making, etc. He came into his own toward the end of the year and in the playoffs with many great performances that helped us get to the Finals. But his failure to put up those performances consistently was one of the reasons why we did not get the title. So if we are being honest here, we know he still has a lot to prove and a lot of room for improvement. That is what this year will be for. To show he can dominate consistently. I am hopeful that he can do that and remain a Sun for his whole career.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Ayton wanted 5 years and the Suns didn’t want to offer him that long

It def seems Sarver has set this up for a 2 year run for the Suns

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So Ayton wanted 5 years and the Suns didn’t want to offer him that long

It def seems Sarver has set this up for a 2 year run for the Suns

And then what? Another decade like the one we suffered through before last season?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am going to go against the flow here and say this will end up being a good thing. Ayton will become a restricted free agent entering next off season, someone will make him a big offer, the Suns will match and he will stay in Phoenix for the next several years, happy as a clam, respected and extremely rich.

Since Ayton has been with the Suns, folks on this board have been ripping him for his effort, his decision making, etc. He came into his own toward the end of the year and in the playoffs with many great performances that helped us get to the Finals. But his failure to put up those performances consistently was one of the reasons why we did not get the title. So if we are being honest here, we know he still has a lot to prove and a lot of room for improvement. That is what this year will be for. To show he can dominate consistently. I am hopeful that he can do that and remain a Sun for his whole career.

Ayton was not the reason we didn’t win it all. Paul being hurt and giving us nothing against Holiday is what killed us the most

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was watching the PHNX Sports podcast on YouTube today.

Did Ayton go public to Duane Rankin about the negotiations on his extension?

This was mentioned twice during the podcast the first time at the 19:30 mark.

I know Adrian Wojnarowski had reported earlier on the negotiations as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah I watched this too.

I'm not surprised Sarver balked at a deal if Ayton went to the media to try and drag him. Sarver is the type of guy that will screw himself if he gets to screw you too for going after him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Ayton situation really is very similar to the John Collins situation.

While I think Ayton is better than Collins, he is not really a guy you want to pay max money. That said, if I were Sarver I would have just for the sake of team chemistry.

Just like with Collins I think this plays out the same way, the Suns end up signing Deandre next offseason for at or just above the max another team can offer him.

Unless Ayton balls out and truly shows his worth this season, than I think he will get the full max.

I mean if we are totally honest - is there anything Ayton did last season that Miles Turner or Jarett Allen could not have done for us? Ayton cannot create good shots on his own. If he wants to prove to the team he is worth full max that is what he needs to demonstrate he can do this season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Ayton situation really is very similar to the John Collins situation.

While I think Ayton is better than Collins, he is not really a guy you want to pay max money. That said, if I were Sarver I would have just for the sake of team chemistry.

Just like with Collins I think this plays out the same way, the Suns end up signing Deandre next offseason for at or just above the max another team can offer him.

Unless Ayton balls out and truly shows his worth this season, than I think he will get the full max.

I mean if we are totally honest - is there anything Ayton did last season that Miles Turner or Jarett Allen could not have done for us? Ayton cannot create good shots on his own. If he wants to prove to the team he is worth full max that is what he needs to demonstrate he can do this season.

I see other guys who are getting paid, and say wow thats why he's a max player. With Ayton i just leave my head shaking or screaming at the tv at times.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I watched this too.

I'm not surprised Sarver balked at a deal if Ayton went to the media to try and drag him. Sarver is the type of guy that will screw himself if he gets to screw you too for going after him.

I was surprised that Ayton didn't keep negotiations quiet like Bridges and it may have cost him. I wasn't aware of the Duane Rankin connection. I thought the leaked information was solely through Adrian Wojnarowski. Sarver doesn't like to have things like this played out in the media.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton needs to be more of an offensive force that can carry a team in crunch time. He hasn't even come close to that. Right now he's 4yrs 105 mill guy not 5 180 mill guy. MPJ was gifted the MAX by Denver...that's on them..now he's playing the respect card when for 5 months out of the season he couldnt catch a pass. Yes great playoff run but nows the time where you show youre a dominant big man. If not he will be traded and that's just the way it has to be cause I don't want a MAX Ayton just being able to get us into the playoffs to only lose in the 1st round every year. Dominant Ayton = a championship

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard