Some players to focus on if you watch Saturday football

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Because I am a draft and football junkie, he are some players to watch at potential positions of need for Arizona this off-season. Not really focused on where some of these guys might project but I probably will ignore top 10 guy like Stingley and such.

Kenyon Green - OL - Texas A&M
-Played OG the past couple years but has kicked out to LT this year. Quick and explosive are two traits I am sure the Cardinals will be looking for in future interior linemen. Strength to hold up and set the front of the pocket will be key and Green can do that. Well put together kid.

Drake Jackson - EDGE - USC
-He probably goes high but he is still a bit raw at this point and it is a decent EDGE class. He reminds me a bit of Chandler Jones in that he isn't a speed EDGE player but used quickness and length well.

George Karlaftis - EDGE - Purdue
-Another long EDGE player. Karlaftis is probably more of a base 4-3 DE but if the Cardinals think they can pack some muscle on him, he might be what we have been hoping Zach Allen would turn into.

Aiden Hutchinson - EDGE - Michigan
-Very similar to Karlaftis in build and ability. I like him a bit more as I think he is longer and can pack a bunch of weight on easily to dominate at 3-4 DE ala Watt.

Treylon Burks - WR - Arkansas
-Big boundary WR that the Cardinals were looking for when they signed AJ Green. The only things I don't love about this is Burks plays a lot in the slot and is very refined. He will be an option but I worry that he will be over-drafted.

Kaiir Elam - CB - Florida
-Keim likes to go back to the well when he drafts certain positions from certain schools. We have seen it with players from Washington and with the success of Marco Wilson, I am sure he will take a look at another DB prospect from the school in Elam. Another tall and long DB to play outside and he has the physical style Keim and Vance like.

Sean Rhyan - OL - UCLA
-Similar style player to AVT who the Cardinals reportedly liked last draft. Can play OT or OG but length seems to play better at OG. tough to gauge his physicality in a conference like the Pac 12 but he seems to be able to get push in the run game and holds up well vs the bull rush.

Ikem Ekwonu - OL - NC State
-Keim alma mater alert. lol. Dude is a beast in the run game inside. Raw in pass pro. Great size and athletic ability. I like this kid if the Cardinals want to build the interior of the OL like the Saints did with Brees.

There are bunch more, but I will leave it right here for now and update as I feel like it. I know some get irritated by draft talk early in the season and if that is you, feel free to ignore this. for those who just like to know some players to watch on Fridays or Saturdays, happy to point you in the right directions.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will add that the Cincinnati Bearcats have a couple draftable prospects at positions the Cardinals might consider.

EDGE - Myjai Sanders
CB - Ahmad Gardner
CB - Kei'Trel Clark

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USC has 2 Drake's I like, one is Jackson that you mentioned the other is WR Drake London I mentioned him last year big physical WR, finally quit basketball and is having a good junior year and most think he's going to the NFL after this year.

They would also have Bru McCoy but he got arrested for domestic violence, looks like they're not pressing charges but USC hasn't reinstated him and it sounds like he might miss the season. He's a potential star too but has all sorts of red flags now between that arrest and his freshman year.

Reaction score
Because I am a draft and football junkie, he are some players to watch at potential positions of need for Arizona this off-season. Not really focused on where some of these guys might project but I probably will ignore top 10 guy like Stingley and such.

-Played OG the past couple years but has kicked out to LT this year. Quick and explosive are two traits I am sure the Cardinals will be looking for in future interior linemen. Strength to hold up and set the front of the pocket will be key and Green can do that. Well put together kid.

-He probably goes high but he is still a bit raw at this point and it is a decent EDGE class. He reminds me a bit of Chandler Jones in that he isn't a speed EDGE player but used quickness and length well.

-Another long EDGE player. Karlaftis is probably more of a base 4-3 DE but if the Cardinals think they can pack some muscle on him, he might be what we have been hoping Zach Allen would turn into.

-Very similar to Karlaftis in build and ability. I like him a bit more as I think he is longer and can pack a bunch of weight on easily to dominate at 3-4 DE ala Watt.

-Big boundary WR that the Cardinals were looking for when they signed AJ Green. The only things I don't love about this is Burks plays a lot in the slot and is very refined. He will be an option but I worry that he will be over-drafted.

-Keim likes to go back to the well when he drafts certain positions from certain schools. We have seen it with players from Washington and with the success of Marco Wilson, I am sure he will take a look at another DB prospect from the school in Elam. Another tall and long DB to play outside and he has the physical style Keim and Vance like.

Sean Rhyan - OL - UCLA
-Similar style player to AVT who the Cardinals reportedly liked last draft. Can play OT or OG but length seems to play better at OG. tough to gauge his physicality in a conference like the Pac 12 but he seems to be able to get push in the run game and holds up well vs the bull rush.

-Keim alma mater alert. lol. Dude is a beast in the run game inside. Raw in pass pro. Great size and athletic ability. I like this kid if the Cardinals want to build the interior of the OL like the Saints did with Brees.

There are bunch more, but I will leave it right here for now and update as I feel like it. I know some get irritated by draft talk early in the season and if that is you, feel free to ignore this. for those who just like to know some players to watch on Fridays or Saturdays, happy to point you in the right directions.

Great thread Chopper. For those of us that don't follow college football that much it gives games & players to watch when we do.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sean Rhyan - OL - UCLA

I love me some Trent McDuffie.

His frame might lean towards the slot, but he’s more than capable at thriving on the boundary.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree with you Chopper on the 2 CIN kids Sanders & Gardner. I like Gardner a lot and would be happy if he ended up in ARZ. Sanders has great measurables, can he play standing up is the question.

I also like Bonitto from OU, a little undersized but can get to the QB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a defense heavy draft. We have a top 10 offense that looks pretty set contract wise. The only players that need extending are Kirk, Edmonds, Conner and Green. Maybe pick up a TE somewhere, replace Green if needed.

Even though the defense is decent it still has the most holes and the most holes coming down the track. Golden, Watt, Peters are all on short deals and aging. CJ's deal is up although no doubt he gets some kind of extension. Philips needs to be a cap casualty. Alford is on a 1 year deal.

Sadly it looks like Fotu and Lawrence are going to be nothing more than their 4th round draft positions suggested. Average rotation guys. I'd like to see the team add a DeMarvin Leal if they want to add a DE/DT or Jordan Davis if they want some run stopping size.

Edge, iDL and CB would be the top 3 rounds for me and any order.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Which one of these guys will be available at #32??
I think we will probably be trading back this year since we have traded so many of our picks away. We will have so many players whose contracts are up, we will need to find cap space by letting a couple big contracts go, or come up with more draft picks somehow. Am I on the right track here?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we will probably be trading back this year since we have traded so many of our picks away. We will have so many players whose contracts are up, we will need to find cap space by letting a couple big contracts go, or come up with more draft picks somehow. Am I on the right track here?
No

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nice game this weekend for those who like offensive linemen. Boston College vs NC State. BC has Zion Johnson at G and Alec Lindstrom at C. NC State has the pancake king Ikem Ekwonu who plays LT but projects to G.

Lindstrom's brother plays for the Falcons.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Probably a better place for this. As you are looking for player and/or positions to read about of watch on Saturdays, below are some 2022 roster truths which may indicate positions we will be interested in. A lot will change between now and then, but I know many of us are busy and this can potentially start you down an efficient draft-scouting path.

1 RB under contract
3 WRs under contract (one being Andy Isabella)
0 TEs under contract
3 EDGE players under contract and one of them (Kennard) is likely to be cut
2 CBs under contract

Here are some roles/players who have worked this year but may need to be filled if they don't re-sign.

Multi-purpose RB who can be a mismatch in the passing game. (Chase Edmonds)

Physical RB who can be a red zone and end-of-game grinder. (James Conner)

Boundary WR who can win in the red-zone and be a size mismatch out wide. (AJ Green)

Slot WR who has plus short area quickness. (Christian Kirk)

Multi-purpose TE who can be a threat in the passing game and hold up physically in the run game. (Maxx Williams/Zach Ertz)

Blocking TE who can play special teams. (Darrell Daniels)

Long/large EDGE player who can rush the passer. Sub-package DE. (Chandler Jones)

Off-ball EDGE who can set the edge/cover/pass rush (Devon Kennard)

Boundary CB to allow Murphy to play the slow when needed. (Robert Alford)

Slot CB (just a need)

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Probably a better place for this. As you are looking for player and/or positions to read about of watch on Saturdays, below are some 2022 roster truths which may indicate positions we will be interested in. A lot will change between now and then, but I know many of us are busy and this can potentially start you down an efficient draft-scouting path.

1 RB under contract
3 WRs under contract (one being Andy Isabella)
0 TEs under contract
3 EDGE players under contract and one of them (Kennard) is likely to be cut
2 CBs under contract

Here are some roles/players who have worked this year but may need to be filled if they don't re-sign.

Multi-purpose RB who can be a mismatch in the passing game. (Chase Edmonds)

Physical RB who can be a red zone and end-of-game grinder. (James Conner)

Boundary WR who can win in the red-zone and be a size mismatch out wide. (AJ Green)

Slot WR who has plus short area quickness. (Christian Kirk)

Multi-purpose TE who can be a threat in the passing game and hold up physically in the run game. (Maxx Williams/Zach Ertz)

Blocking TE who can play special teams. (Darrell Daniels)

Long/large EDGE player who can rush the passer. Sub-package DE. (Chandler Jones)

Off-ball EDGE who can set the edge/cover/pass rush (Devon Kennard)

Boundary CB to allow Murphy to play the slow when needed. (Robert Alford)

Slot CB (just a need)

chopper, nice work

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Tracking OL and EDGE. Assuming we tag Chandler and have Golden/Gardeck they can afford to be patient with a raw pass rusher. OL because OL.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tracking OL and EDGE. Assuming we tag Chandler and have Golden/Gardeck they can afford to be patient with a raw pass rusher. OL because OL.
Watching Kyler thrive reiterates my belief that we need to continue to draft OL high even if they have to sit a year or two behind a vet. Giving him protection has made so much of a difference in his development. IMO of course.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a future TE I'm keeping an eye on Cade Otton of UW. About 250 6'5" considered a really good blocker. Has good hands right now some scouts have him as the 3rd best TE in the draft I don't see anybody projecting him earlier than 2 and most 3rd round. His uncle is Brad Otton the former USC QB, his dad is a HS coach so he has bloodlines.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coach Orgeron from LSU will not return next year. They've been a player factory but the last couple of years has been tough. They don't put up with losing down in the Bayou.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose