The Athletic: What we’ve learned in first month of NFL season

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Athletic's Jeff Howe yesterday posted lists of MVP candidates, Head Coach of the Year candidates, Rookie of the Year candidates, and a couple others.

Of note:

Seven MVP candidates​

1. Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray: Murray, who leads the league’s last unbeaten team, ranks first with a 76.1 completion percentage, third with 1,273 passing yards and fifth with nine touchdowns and a 115 passer rating. He also has three rushing scores for the NFL’s top-ranked offense.

2. Josh Allen
3. Tom Brady
4. Dak Prescott
5. Justin Herbert
6. Matt Stafford
7. Patrick Mahomes

Four Head Coach of the Year candidates​

1. Brandon Staley

2. Kliff Kingsbury (Cardinals): They’re 4-0 with three road wins, including a 37-20 statement against the Rams on Sunday. Kingsbury and Murray have already solidified themselves as one of the premier coach-QB combos in the league, and they’ve scored at least 31 points in each game.

3. Zach Taylor
4. Matt Rhule

Three Offensive Rookie of the Year candidates​

1. Ja’Marr Chase
2. Najee Harris
3. Mac Jones

Three Defensive Rookie of the Year candidates​

1. Micah Parsons
2. Odafe Oweh
3. Asante Samuel Jr.

Two Defensive Player of the Year candidates​

1. Trevon Diggs
2. Myles Garrett

Three valuable coordinators​

1. Joe Brady
2. Shane Waldron
3. Dan Quinn

Five disappointments​

1. Buccaneers pass defense
2. Steelers
3. Washington Football Team defense
4. Dolphins
5. Colts
...dave

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Athletic's Jeff Howe yesterday posted lists of MVP candidates, Head Coach of the Year candidates, Rookie of the Year candidates, and a couple others.

Of note:

...dave
Chase and Jones yes but Najee Harris? I like the kid but 3.4 YPC and 1 TD in 4 games is not OROY. 4 games only 1 of them over 4 YPC. Their OL sucks it's not just him but I'm surprised they have him that high on the OROY list now. He might be there by year end.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Chase and Jones yes but Najee Harris? I like the kid but 3.4 YPC and 1 TD in 4 games is not OROY. 4 games only 1 of them over 4 YPC. Their OL sucks it's not just him but I'm surprised they have him that high on the OROY list now. He might be there by year end.

I can definitely say the kid is balling out and showing great things, but it really IS that bad in Pittsburgh right now (hehe). Ben's arm is shot and the OL is almost as bad as our famed 72/72 O-line back in the late 90's. Twice in two weeks, on fourth and more than short, they've thrown in the backfield swing plays to him without giving time for the wideouts to clear the defenders from the LOS. You don't succeed when you're set up to fail. That he has 3.4 is incredible.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I can definitely say the kid is balling out and showing great things, but it really IS that bad in Pittsburgh right now (hehe). Ben's arm is shot and the OL is almost as bad as our famed 72/72 O-line back in the late 90's. Twice in two weeks, on fourth and more than short, they've thrown in the backfield swing plays to him without giving time for the wideouts to clear the defenders from the LOS. You don't succeed when you're set up to fail. That he has 3.4 is incredible.
I saw a breakdown where the analyst showed a bunch of times that Harris picked the wrong holes, so his stats aren't just on him. Granted, that line isn't doing him favors.

What's funny is that their struggles were easily predictable. Any somewhat competent observer could look at what Pittsburgh did and think, "Damn, that offensive line is going to be terrible."

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No Rondale Moore?? I know his usage slipped but stats are a week to week game.... Rondale Moore should be in the running for OROY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard