Vikings @ Cardinals postgame thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not sure how Kyler thinks this is a TD without the small (and late) helmet grab. The safety is always in a better position to get the ball than Kirk.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Exactly. It was a terrible read by kyler. And that ball is pretty directly to the receiver - the face mask (and absolutely there was a face mask and it should’ve been a penalty didn’t impact the throw much, if at all.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In my opinion Vance sent them out there with the wrong plan.

I think, like many of us, that he thought his game plan vs the Titans would work vs the Vikings and that they could be aggressive on the pass rush vs guys like Hill.

That zone blocking scheme and the way Cook runs is a whole different kettle of fish. It's much tougher to hold your ground and guys were being swept aside. Credit for changing it up but I think a lot of the bad performance was down to bad planning.
It’s why I poo-poo’ed our success last week as an indicator of success this week. Henry and cook, as I pointed out, are much different beasts. Can’t gear your defense against both in the same fashion.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice discussion from Cowherd

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, of all the things people have nitpicked, this one has gone pretty unnoticed. Not crazy that he thinks that’s a good play regardless of the helmet swipe. The DB read that all the way and he was late on it.
My memory of the play had me agreeing with those who have been questioning Murray's belief that the play would've been a TD absent the helmet grab. But after re-watching the highlight of that play several times, i can see why he might be right.

First of all, the helmet grab does look as though it affects the trajectory of the ball. It happens while Murray's arm is still moving forward with the ball.

And by the time the camera pans downfield, Kirk is sandwiched between two defenders. But it looks as though Kirk and the deeper defender have just changed course to come back to the ball, allowing the shallower defender to catch up to them.

It's possible that if the ball had gone on its intended trajectory, Kirk could've caught it in stride running left, in front of the deeper defender and well ahead of the trailing defender.

The all-22 should be enlightening.

:shrug:

...dave

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said in the game thread this wasn't on P2

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is LB instincts. He followed the motion instead to seeing the TE pulling across the formation. Live and learn.

I can't wait to see Simmons when he picks up those instincts. I had doubts he ever would but he seems on the right path.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Against the grain:

May be Cardinals offense needs to get atleast two 6-7+ min drives every game to keep defense fresh and not expose the under manned secondary and poor run blocking?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full game replay tonight at 10 nfl network just FYI

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The secret ingredient: SourPatch Kids.

Latest posts