Changes for Next Season?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul 3 years 90 million and we are looking at Dougie McBuckets From twitter
I’m not buying the McDermott rumor and will be disappointed if that’s what we do with the MLE if there are decent back up big available for the same price.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul 3 years 90 million and we are looking at Dougie McBuckets From twitter
I'm hoping McDermott was one of the guys we were looking at for shooting prior to the Shamet trade and now is not a priority.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not buying the McDermott rumor and will be disappointed if that’s what we do with the MLE if there are decent back up big available for the same price.

hes fine IF we address backup C and PF. We desperately need size and rebounding.

Noel and Mcgee are my two top bigs hopefully at least 1 of them

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
hes fine IF we address backup C and PF. We desperately need size and rebounding.

Latest reports indicate Noel is returning to the Knicks. If we give McDermott our MLE, I will puke. It will be too darn reminiscent of when the Suns signed Trevor Ariza as a fourth small forward when they literally were without a single NBA level point guard.

Only this time it would be foregoing the much-needed 4/5 instead of the much-needed 1.

And it, combined with the trade for Shamet, would affirm my worst fear that James Jones cares about outside shooting and literally nothing else. More than anyone else on the roster, McDermott can shoot wide open jumpers only and nothing else.

He can't rebound, even at small forward levels. He can't defend. He can't create shots for himself or others. He can't drive. He is one dimensional.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

duh. But I don’t think we can actually address those adequately if the MLE goes to McDermott.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a third point guard I would be satisfied with someone like Ish Smith, T.J. McConnell or Raul Neto depending on the price. I figure Jeff Teague will stay with Milwaukee.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to try to envision what the Suns roster might look like so I made a rough draft.

Some of the big men like Nerlens Noel, Richaun Holmes and Bobby Portis may not be obtainable. Also it's hard to see Jae Crowder not starting.

If the Suns acquired someone like Daniel Theis he could probably play some forward/center. I tried to add versatility at the forward position and size at center.

Hope the Suns get a disabled player exception for Dario Saric.

What a possible roster might look like:

Point Guard: Chris Paul/ Cam Payne/ Ish Smith

Shooting Guard: Devin Booker/ Landry Shamet

Small Forward: Mikal Bridges/ Torrey Craig/ Cam Johnson/ Abdel Nader

Power Forward: Jae Crowder/ Trey Lyles/ Jalen Smith

Center: Deandre Ayton/ Daniel Theis/ Isaiah Hartenstein

Some other big men I like are Robin Lopez, Enes Kanter, Frank Kaminsky and Alex Len.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corey Joseph was waived by the Pistons so he might be a third point guard option.

He'll be too expensive to be a 3rd PG. He might not be a bad consolation pickup if Payne leaves though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He'll be too expensive to be a 3rd PG. He might not be a bad consolation pickup if Payne leaves though.

The tough part of projecting who will be there in free agency is the price tag and whether they want to leave their current team for about the same dollars.

Joseph only made $2,400,000 last season but that figures to go up. I believe his name was rumored as an option for the Suns in a previous free agency.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JaMychal Green (31) opting out of a $7,379,754 with the Nuggets is puzzling.

He must figure some team will pay him as much and add years to the contract. I like him for the Suns otherwise.

OP
OP
Raindog

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
McDermott would be a cringey signing. I hope it's just random internet noise, but if that's who we end up wasting money/roster space on, I'm back to questioning whether James Jones has a clue what he's doing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
McDermott would be a cringey signing. I hope it's just random internet noise, but if that's who we end up wasting money/roster space on, I'm back to questioning whether James Jones has a clue what he's doing.
I don't want him for the MLE, but he did have is best career year last year, so I don't think he's a waste of roster space. Just not for the MLE.

OP
OP
Raindog

Raindog

Reaction score
I don't want him for the MLE, but he did have is best career year last year, so I don't think he's a waste of roster space. Just not for the MLE.

At the expense of getting help where we really need it (which it undoubtedly would be given the money he would command) it would be a stinkbomb. The last thing we need is another all shooting, do nothing else wing with the gaping hole we have in the interior.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
At the expense of getting help where we really need it (which it undoubtedly would be given the money he would command) it would be a stinkbomb. The last thing we need is another all shooting, do nothing else wing with the gaping hole we have in the interior.
I'm just saying he's not a bad player. Doesn't fit our needs of course, but you underrate him a tad.

OP
OP
Raindog

Raindog

Reaction score
I'm just saying he's not a bad player. Doesn't fit our needs of course, but you underrate him a tad.

I'm not saying he's bad either, for what he is. But if our off-season consists of putting all our available resources into getting another redundant part and then filling our genuinely pressing need with an afterthought (ie, a repeat of adding Moore/Galloway and then settling for Damian Jones), that's a bad off-season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying he's bad either, for what he is. But if our off-season consists of putting all our available resources into getting another redundant part and then filling our genuinely pressing need with an afterthought (ie, a repeat of adding Moore/Galloway and then settling for Damian Jones), that's a bad off-season.

The mistake was thinking that Jones was going to take a step forward and be what we needed, not that we were forced to settle for Damian because we'd signed Moore and Galloway. I don't know who we agreed to first but we signed all those guys (including Crowder) on the same day.

JJ (and the front office) apparently screwed up in the analysis of Damian and perhaps Jalen Smith but I'm not sure that quality bigs were standing in line to play for a bad organization, a bad team, and behind a young big man that was going to dominate the minutes at his spot.

Hopefully our image has changed enough to attract more interest this offseason but as I've said a few times, I suspect we'll have better luck at the midseason when the lack of cap room tends to mean a little less. As was the case last year, our needs are still greater than our cap room. We do need someone like McDermott, just nowhere near as greatly as we need a quality backup big man. Quality being the key.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This. If McDermott could be added for the minimum in the same manner as Moore and Galloway last year, then fine. Otherwise, no thanks. We need the MLE and BAE for bigs.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id be fine with McDermott for the BAE but anymore than that is too much for us. He may be worth more but we have a small amount of funds available and shouldn't give him more than that because he's not vital to get us over the hump.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at small forward options I was impressed by Georges Niang last season. He is a really good shooter and was on a low salary with Utah.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Right now, the only player on the roster over 6'8" that can play NBA minutes is Ayton. We desperately need quality size, especially if the Lakers sign Dwight Howard and the Nuggets re-sign JaVale McGee.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id be fine with McDermott for the BAE but anymore than that is too much for us. He may be worth more but we have a small amount of funds available and shouldn't give him more than that because he's not vital to get us over the hump.
McDermott would be a huge let down in terms of players out there. Not sure a forward who sucks at rebounding helps us with our bigs problem. Anybody that complains about Ayton's boxing out? You have not watched McDermott play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose