2021 NBA Draft Prospects Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to start looking now for a Pass first PG who can also shoot well. CP3 may not be here for long but we have seen what that does for both Booker/Ayton. If not through the draft, they need to leverage the draft to possibly pull off a trade. Have no clue who that would be. Easier said than done.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The more time he has under CP3 the better. We shouldn't have a problem landing a decent PG, sadly if we want more than decent we may have to say goodbye to some of the family favorites. I'm scared and excited at the same time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He's the kid nobody thinks is going to college, like Ayton when he was in HS, but Duren keeps saying he will. He's got 3 schools plus the G league and the NBL but he keeps saying he'd like to play in college. UCLA was in his top 11 but we were told almost all the schools on the list had stopped recruiting him and UCLA was one of them and got cut in his final 5. We were told UCLA told him if you want to come to UCLA and qualify we would love to have you which was basically Cronin's way of saying we don't think you're going to college and won't scare off other recruits chasing you and then you bail. Kentucky, Memphis and Miami all have enough scholarships they can hold a spot open for Duren just in case. The people who've seen him, even the UCLA guys, said he's special.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. He seems somewhat in our range. Big guy, rebounder, seems to move well (not Ayton well, but we’ll for a 6’11 265lbs dude) and has a nice stroke from outside from few highlight/workout vids I’ve seen. I think his downside is he needs to watch his weight. Played behind a couple older players if I recall correctly. Nice prospect for a potential backup C. Though I wonder if Jones would go big two years in a row.
Saw a him play a bunch last year. Positives: Extreamly high motor, and great rebounder. Player Comparisons: Montrez Harrel or a better Richaun Holmes. Weaknesses: Limited Post moves, bad free throw shooter and limited shooting range (although he has improved his shot in the offseason).
I would take a chance on him if he's there. Hard worker, will improve and most importantly, will bring the toughness and grit every night.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a reminder, the NBA Draft is July 29th, 2021. It's so close.

Maybe we can do some individual threads on prospects who might be available at #29?

Here is a link to the Tankathon Mock Draft.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a reminder, the NBA Draft is July 29th, 2021. It's so close.

Maybe we can do some individual threads on prospects who might be available at #29?

Here is a link to the Tankathon Mock Draft.

I hate to ask this, but do the suns even employ any scouts now?

I almost wonder if they are using tankathon or something similar to make the pick.

To be honest I expect them to trade it somehow.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I almost wonder if they are using tankathon or something similar to make the pick.

Tankathon didn't say, "Draft Jalen Smith with Pick 10," last season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the Suns have scouts but I can't name any. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded the pick to clear salary space either.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the Suns have scouts but I can't name any. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded the pick to clear salary space either.

The pick is at the end of the first round. What space would they be clearing? They still need to fill out their roster, and not just with bodies like Galloway and Damian Jones ended up being.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pick is at the end of the first round. What space would they be clearing? They still need to fill out their roster, and bit just with bodies like Galloway and Damian Jones ended up being.

Maybe attaching a first round pick to Jevon Carter and using that money elsewhere. Maybe they get a second round pick in return or perhaps a player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If we could get Mann, Butler or Dosunmu then Payne getting overpaid by another team would be easier to Stomach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could get Mann, Butler or Dosunmu then Payne getting overpaid by another team would be easier to Stomach.

Some of the big men look interesting as well such as Neemias Queta, Day'Ron Sharpe and Luka Garza.

Garza is projected to go late second round but he interesting. I watched him play when Grand Canyon played Iowa in the NCAA Tournament. He plays with a lot of enthusiasm.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Some of the big men look interesting as well such as Neemias Queta, Day'Ron Sharpe and Luka Garza.

Garza is projected to go late second round but he interesting. I watched him play when Grand Canyon played Iowa in the NCAA Tournament. He plays with a lot of enthusiasm.

I watched some of him due to the hype. Unimpressed. I think he lacks the athleticism to play in the nba. Like worse than frank.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind Garza on a two way deal as a bought 2nd round pick or if he goes in drafted. I think someone like him would be good to have to push Ayton in practice. High motor, all energy, big. I don't see him being a player himself but I think two way deals are similar to practice squad type deals in the NFL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched some of him due to the hype. Unimpressed. I think he lacks the athleticism to play in the nba. Like worse than frank.

I was just thumbing through the big man prospects when I came to Garza and thought, I recognize this guy from the Grand Canyon game. He stood out.

By no means am I promoting drafting him with an early pick but I think he will be an NBA role player because of his outside shooting and moves inside.

The thing is the Suns would have to get a late second round pick to get him as Hoop Head said or hope he goes undrafted. However, I think some team will draft him.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think they have the title "scout", but the Suns have a huge staff and I am sure that some of them are "scouting"

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only one in the directory with the label scout next to them is Pat Zipfel: Advance Scout.

His job appears to be scouting future NBA opponents.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't put much stock in the "unathletic " label for big men. Sabonis & Jokic were hit with that label and look at them now. If someone is skilled then they can make it in NBA. It's the raw players who are unathletic you stay away from. Luka's motor and strength should help.

If we acquire a 2nd rounder I would look at Bassey and Garza, Dosunmu would be my pick at #29.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't put much stock in the "unathletic " label for big men. Sabonis & Jokic were hit with that label and look at them now. If someone is skilled then they can make it in NBA. It's the raw players who are unathletic you stay away from. Luka's motor and strength should help.

If we acquire a 2nd rounder I would look at Bassey and Garza, Dosunmu would be my pick at #29.

Dosunmu won't last to 29. Otherwise he is my pick as well.

In the meantime, just remember that Frank Kaminsky came out if college being billed as extremely skilled...

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dosunmu won't last to 29. Otherwise he is my pick as well.

In the meantime, just remember that Frank Kaminsky came out if college being billed as extremely skilled...
Kaminksy doesn't have Garza's strength or motor. I think Garza can be a Kanter with a jump shot.