Bucks @ Suns Saturday Finals game thread 7-17-2021 Game - Game 5

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton didn’t help us on rebounds even though he had 10.
He expects the ball to drop straight down under the goal. Doesn’t body up on box outs.
He’s also curiously often directly under the hoop which is terrible positioning. Weird.

khov

Reaction score
Looks like they were letting cp3 get to his midrange spot, then running guys at him blocking passing lanes. We need bridges to step up at some point on both ends of the floor. Cam was doing great, suns were up, bridges came in and it went down the tube. This doesn't absolve cp3's performance too. Book was on fire and he commands the ball? Same thing in game 3, Payne was in and all cp3 wanted to do was dominate the ball. I get it, he wants the responsibility but at what expense?
Yes, I agree. Cam Johnson is playing well and should be playing more. Also, why not bring in Torrey Craig and put him on Holiday. Holiday is backing Paul or Booker into the lane. You need a more bigger physical defender to push back on Holiday and back him out of that lane and wear him down.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Cam Johnson is playing well and should be playing more. Also, why not bring in Torrey Craig and put him on Holiday. Holiday is backing Paul or Booker into the lane. You need a more bigger physical defender to push back on Holiday and back him out of that lane and wear him down.
Cam J and Craig played awful defense today.

I don’t think Middleton is bothered by Craig at all. Looks really comfortable against his old teammate.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meh.

The end of the last two games we had the ball in one of our two best players hands with the potential to take the lead or tie. Their best players made great defensive plays and then made us pay at the other end.

Sometimes you should tip your cap to the opponent. A loss isn't always because the coach sucked or one of players choked.
In both games we didn’t even get a shot off in those scenarios. That’s **** poor. Call a timeout.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Cam had our worst +/- of the night. I love the kid but honestly...... Nothing is working.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Btw I really like the aggressive trapping on the giannis Middleton screens.

Giannis didn’t seem to know how to take advantage of being left alone. Watch out for that to backfire next game.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The alarming sign that Ayton is back in his shell: He wasn't finishing his screens and was actually stepping back on them in an effort to avoid contact. If you want to point the finger at any player mentally, point it at Ayton.

Yes, Booker had the error in the end, but he also pretty much single-handedly kept the team in the game until then.

And if you don't realize the obvious physical issues with Paul, I don't know what to say. He literally couldn't lift his shooting arm, which was causing all sorts of problems on both ends of the court. It was literally hanging Dead at his side most of the game...to the point where I was wondering if he reaggravated his shoulder injury as well as the ligament tear flaring up. If you want to point the finger at anyone for Paul's play, point it at Monty for playing him so much when he isn't even at 25%.

The biggest mystery from tonight's game other than Monty's failure to call time-out down 1 with the ball and 30 seconds to go, at least to me, is why Bridges and Craig, despite being by far the best defenders in the first quarter, hardly saw any playing time afterward.

Monty's rotations have been strange, to say the least.

Great run overall this postseason, but Monty and James Jones (not bringing in any big other than Saric and Kaminsky) appear to have left a championship on the table with some pretty basic blunders.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone do a prayer for angels in the backcourt next gm!!!!

I believe im going to a sports bar to watch gm

Maybe in a weird way this loss will bring the bubble suns back

Never give up fight till last min

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cam had our worst +/- of the night. I love the kid but honestly...... Nothing is working.

Cam Johnson was pretty poor on defense and was invisible on offense. This was a game where Bridges and Craig needed more minutes.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In both games we didn’t even get a shot off in those scenarios. That’s **** poor. Call a timeout.
It’s easy to rip after knowing the result but the ball was in Book’s hands and they had been scoring fairly easily down the stretch. Don’t have a problem letting it ride but Holiday instincts are on a different level.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to back 40s by Booker after a horrible game 3. That let’s me know this kid is the real deal and def the right guy to build around

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The alarming sign that Ayton is back in his shell: He wasn't finishing his screens and was actually stepping back on them in an effort to avoid contact. If you want to point the finger at any player mentally, point it at Ayton.

Yes, Booker had the error in the end, but he also pretty much single-handedly kept the team in the game until then.

And if you don't realize the obvious physical issues with Paul, I don't know what to say. He literally couldn't lift his shooting arm, which was causing all sorts of problems on both ends of the court. It was literally hanging Dead at his side most of the game...to the point where I was wondering if he reaggravated his shoulder injury as well as the ligament tear flaring up. If you want to point the finger at anyone for Paul's play, point it at Monty for playing him so much when he isn't even at 25%.

The biggest mystery from tonight's game other than Monty's failure to call time-out down 1 with the ball and 30 seconds to go, at least to me, is why Bridges and Craig, despite being by far the best defenders in the first quarter, hardly saw any playing time afterward.

Great run overall this postseason, but Monty and James Jones (not bringing in any big other than Saric and Kaminsky) appear to have left a championship on the table with some pretty basic blunders.
Mostly agree except in the last play time out.

Booker got to his spot. That easily could’ve been the game winner.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Paul opts out and wants the monster extension you just flat out can’t give it to him. We got to pay Ayton and I can’t give Paul that kind of money after this finals performance. He has a long history of coming up short when it matters most and he’s living up to it

From what I saw of Ayton tonight, I don't even think about paying him big money. Trade him while he still has some value. His motor is too inconsistent. He will take the money and run.

Never pay big money to a center who actively avoids contact in the NBA Finals

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still can’t believe the Bucks made so many shots especially in the third quarter. All we had was Booker and no one else. I just hope the basketball gods return the favor and have the Bucks throw more bricks

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Ayton can be on the bench at all.

And honestly....... Where has our ball movement gone? Is it as simple as...... Jrue Holiday is guarding full court?

I mean we scored 119 with 5 guys in double digits with Ayton and Paul going for 20/10+ double doubles and Booker dropping 40

they were just flat out on fire like ungodly once in a lifetime fire

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

If Ayton were an angry rebounder he’d be worth the max easily but two many times you see him lack aggression or he just can’t corral the ball. He’s still dropping point blank passes. I defended him last game but this was a must win and you gotta go all out.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look guys they shot incredibly well I mean all 3 of their big 3 basically scored 30 and they had some 3s from their bench. We played well and put up 119 you expect to win but sometimes you get outshot and that’s what happened. It’s not like they were shooting wide open shots the whole game we played pretty good D. They made some crazy tough shots with hands in their faces. Honestly it’s probably the best game their big 3 has put together period. Don’t lose hope just forget it and move on we are now the desperate team with nothing to lose, if we go down go down shooting and throwing haymakers! I’ll be cheering them on regardless Tuesday and Thursday and hopefully these young guys have short memories and bring it home!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the shot making by both teams is ridiculous. I thought the shot making was incredible in the Clippers series, but tonight was amazing all the way down to the end. I never felt like the game was over and it was one of the most exciting finals games I've ever watched. a stat that I would be curious to see are the offensive rebounds. the Bucks seem to crash the boards like no other. and those boards kill clock when they play with the lead.
It was the timeliness of the offensive rebounds. They had 11 to our 8.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From what I saw of Ayton tonight, I don't even think about paying him big money. Trade him while he still has some value. His motor is too inconsistent. He will take the money and run.

Never pay big money to a center who actively avoids contact in the NBA Finals
The whole reason he’s been so good in the playoffs is that he plays elite defense without fouling.

I think his avoidance of contact on is the reason he rarely gets in foul trouble.

Double edged sword.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave