Deandre Ayton discussion

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a good thread idea. Nash and Book are definitely 1-2 at the moment. Then you have guys like Amare, Marion, Nance, Davis, Adams etc…

I'm content to leave this conversation for later. It's simply too early to say Ayton is the Suns best pick ever.

I would include Nash in the conversation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was drafted by the Suns and had his best years in a Suns uniform why wouldn’t he count

Because he had his best years here after signing as a free agent. Sure, we drafted him originally but didn't develop him. He was our best free agent signing but not best draft pick.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Because he had his best years here after signing as a free agent. Sure, we drafted him originally but didn't develop him. He was our best free agent signing but not best draft pick.
I would argue he was both. Two MVP’s and the heart of a dominant 5-6 year run. Idk what “development” has to do with it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would argue he was both. Two MVP’s and the heart of a dominant 5-6 year run. Idk what “development” has to do with it.

That would be like saying Kobe is the best draft pick in Hornets history. He was drafted by them after all.

Obviously Nash wasn't viewed as a great or valuable pick early on since we traded him away. Saying he's our best pick ignores his first decade in the league almost where he was just a borderline All-Star.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That would be like saying Kobe is the best draft pick in Hornets history. He was drafted by them after all.

Obviously Nash wasn't viewed as a great or valuable pick early on since we traded him away. Saying he's our best pick ignores his first decade in the league almost where he was just a borderline All-Star.
I agree with you, but I don't think Kobe is a good example. Kobe wasn't drafted with the intention of ever playing for the Hornets, but Nash was even though he didn't amount to much until after he was traded.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My memory of Nash in Phoenix is that he was well thought of but he didn't want to play behind Kidd forever and was unwilling to make the full time move to shooting guard. So we accommodated him and traded him for a decent package that eventually led to Shawn Marion.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with you, but I don't think Kobe is a good example. Kobe wasn't drafted with the intention of ever playing for the Hornets, but Nash was even though he didn't amount to much until after he was traded.
How about when we drafted Rondo with the 21st pick? That was a pretty good find, wasn’t it?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
How about when we drafted Rondo with the 21st pick? That was a pretty good find, wasn’t it?
And immediately traded him to Boston right? I feel like it only counts if you draft the player and hang onto him with the intent of developing him for your own team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

You’re overthinking this. Nash was drafted by the Suns (not a draft day trade away) and had his best years here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns didn't draft Nash to trade him so he counts in my book.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to debate this now. We can discuss it more in its own thread later. Ayton was a the right pick, that's what is most important right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My memory of Nash in Phoenix is that he was well thought of but he didn't want to play behind Kidd forever and was unwilling to make the full time move to shooting guard. So we accommodated him and traded him for a decent package that eventually led to Shawn Marion.

I'm glad the draft pick received from the Mavericks in the Nash trade turned into Shawn Marion. Otherwise that was a really bad trade.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

and you can say that if Kobe player a couple years for the Hornets then left but comeback to win 2 MVP’s for the Hornets

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree. He was both. We didn’t give up on him he was a guy piece in trading for a HOFer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

No bc the hornets weren’t drafting him for themselves.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Nash was actually projected to go as high as 4th in that draft, but the Grizzlies selected Antonio Daniels instead.

In my opinion, the Suns' only draft steals even comparable to Nash are Walter Davis, Larry Nance, Michael Finley, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Devin Booker.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree. He was both. We didn’t give up on him he was a guy piece in trading for a HOFer.

We didn't trade Nash for a HOFer. We traded him for the draft rights to Pat Garrity, plus Bubba Wells, Martin Muursepp and a future first round pick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didn't trade Nash for a HOFer. We traded him for the draft rights to Pat Garrity, plus Bubba Wells, Martin Muursepp and a future first round pick.
However you want to say it, we traded the 13th pick for a couple of throwaway players plus two picks, one of which we turned into Shawn Marion. Pat Garrity wasn't much but that was a really sucky draft and he did have a 10 year career, marginal though it was.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
However you want to say it, we traded the 13th pick for a couple of throwaway players plus two picks, one of which we turned into Shawn Marion. Pat Garrity wasn't much but that was a really sucky draft and he did have a 10 year career, marginal though it was.
That’s right. But the centerpiece of that trade for us was the draft pick that became Marion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s right. But the centerpiece of that trade for us was the draft pick that became Marion.
Absolutely.

We didn't give up on Nash and we didn't give him away, we traded him for solid value. We liked him a lot, that point was made frequently his first two seasons with us but with Kidd, KJ and Rex Chapman in front of him, his opportunities to shine were limited.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nash was a great pick and I guess I’m just glad we got him back. But if we’re talking immediate impact (which doesn’t mean best) I actually give that nod to Amare with Booker close behind. Ayton a little behind that because of the ups-and-downs and suspension. But where he is in year 3 is up there with anyone.

But my take only extends back to the mid-80s and I don’t feel I can properly evaluate players before that just on stats and history.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash was a great pick and I guess I’m just glad we got him back. But if we’re talking immediate impact (which doesn’t mean best) I actually give that nod to Amare with Booker close behind. Ayton a little behind that because of the ups-and-downs and suspension. But where he is in year 3 is up there with anyone.

But my take only extends back to the mid-80s and I don’t feel I can properly evaluate players before that just on stats and history.

For me, immediate impact would go to Walter Davis followed by Alvan Adams, Amare, Marion, Larry Nance and then Booker. The only thing that keeps DA out of that list is that he only played 109 games through his first two seasons, otherwise he's probably no lower than 2nd when you consider his defensive impact. Regardless, right now my expectations are that Booker and DA will eventually be first and second on our all time list of best draft picks.