The Tomorrow War (Amazon Prime)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a great movie a bit derivative and too long but I actually enjoyed it. It's derivative of both Terminator and Alien. Without spoiling it the plot is everyone is watching the World Cup soccer game when during play suddenly a vortex opens up on the field and a bunch of soldiers come out and announce they're from the future and need to recruit people to fight. In the future aliens are over running the planet there's less than 500K people left alive on earth and they need people to fight. They somehow opened a portal to the future but its' very limited and they can only go back to a certain time etc.

Chris Pratt is the star. There's at least 2 "twists" in the last part of the movie although I thought the 2nd one was blatantly obvious and the first not too drastic.

It's got some interesting time paradox stuff the only people that can go forward in time are people who will be dead by the time the war in the future takes place 2051, to avoid the time paradox stuff of seeing themselves in the future. So most of the soldiers are either older, or people who are going to die young. The people from the future are mostly young because they have to be able to go back in time to recruit and have to be young enough to have not been born. So present day is 2021 and future is 2051.

Again not a great movie but I actually did like it. Lucy didn't too long and too loud for her. There are large stretches that are basically like a video game just shooting at aliens but if you have Prime it's free and was pretty good.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked it. I would say it's a decent to good film but a great summer flick. Really appreciated the family stuff and anytime I get to see Yvonne Strahovski I'm happy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a great movie a bit derivative and too long but I actually enjoyed it. It's derivative of both Terminator and Alien. Without spoiling it the plot is everyone is watching the World Cup soccer game when during play suddenly a vortex opens up on the field and a bunch of soldiers come out and announce they're from the future and need to recruit people to fight. In the future aliens are over running the planet there's less than 500K people left alive on earth and they need people to fight. They somehow opened a portal to the future but its' very limited and they can only go back to a certain time etc.

Chris Pratt is the star. There's at least 2 "twists" in the last part of the movie although I thought the 2nd one was blatantly obvious and the first not too drastic.

It's got some interesting time paradox stuff the only people that can go forward in time are people who will be dead by the time the war in the future takes place 2051, to avoid the time paradox stuff of seeing themselves in the future. So most of the soldiers are either older, or people who are going to die young. The people from the future are mostly young because they have to be able to go back in time to recruit and have to be young enough to have not been born. So present day is 2021 and future is 2051.

Again not a great movie but I actually did like it. Lucy didn't too long and too loud for her. There are large stretches that are basically like a video game just shooting at aliens but if you have Prime it's free and was pretty good.
It was probably more than just "a bit derivative"; at times it reminded me of Independence Day, Battle:Los Angeles and Edge of Tomorrow in addition to the movies you named (and probably a few more that didn't cross my mind or I've forgotten about). But yeah, we enjoyed it too in large part because it's the type of movie we like in addition to a good role for Yvonne (and totally insincere thanks to The Predator for completely wasting her).

For us the test will be the re-watch and whether it will hold up. A middle of the road movie that we still enjoy the second time around moves up a few notches in our minds whereas a movie that we don't like quite as much the second time around drops off of our watchable list.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was probably more than just "a bit derivative"; at times it reminded me of Independence Day, Battle:Los Angeles and Edge of Tomorrow in addition to the movies you named (and probably a few more that didn't cross my mind or I've forgotten about). But yeah, we enjoyed it too in large part because it's the type of movie we like in addition to a good role for Yvonne (and totally insincere thanks to The Predator for completely wasting her).

For us the test will be the re-watch and whether it will hold up. A middle of the road movie that we still enjoy the second time around moves up a few notches in our minds whereas a movie that we don't like quite as much the second time around drops off of our watchable list.

Forgot about Independence Day but yeah given I watched it today on Independence Day how I missed that is beyond me!

I liked it, doubt I'll ever re watch it. I actually wanted to watch Jaws, my favorite movie of all time but didn't want to pay 3.99 to watch a 46 year old movie and the Peacock version is apparently edited with commercials so we watched Tomorrow War instead.

Reaction score
I liked it. Some of it hit me right in the feels because it hit a little too close to home in some aspects. Definitely an enjoyable movie though. Chris Pratt makes a pretty good action star imo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot about Independence Day but yeah given I watched it today on Independence Day how I missed that is beyond me!

I liked it, doubt I'll ever re watch it. I actually wanted to watch Jaws, my favorite movie of all time but didn't want to pay 3.99 to watch a 46 year old movie and the Peacock version is apparently edited with commercials so we watched Tomorrow War instead.

My wife and I watch a LOT of movies and we actually enjoy a good re-watch more than we do a first viewing much of the time.

We avoid Peacock for the same reason as you just like we rarely watch Prime Movies unless they also offer an unrated version.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I generally don’t like Chris Pratt in his non-snarky roles. I thought he is terrible in the Jurassic World movies, for example. But I actually liked him in this. Surprised.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
I liked it a lot for a Summer flick, the action was really good. The aliens were formidable monster. That was at times frightening how strong they were. The action set pieces were also very nice.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not a single negative review? I expected to find everyone tearing this to pieces. We didn't make it far into this utter piece of crap. The plot was completely nonsensical and the setup was just going...badly. And we went in with time to **** and rock-bottom expectations. The only thing to suggest anything decent was the effects on the soccer field. Effects are not even close enough to carry a movie.

Anything that makes Chris Pratt seem uncharming and boring without doing so on purpose is just plain awful writing :)

Edit: You can't say k-i-l-l? This board re-boot has put a really idiotic filter into place. I'd say it's over **** lol

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there should be a competition to see who can come up with the most blocked out paragraph consisting of not-really-blockable words.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not a single negative review? I expected to find everyone tearing this to pieces. We didn't make it far into this utter piece of crap. The plot was completely nonsensical and the setup was just going...badly. And we went in with time to **** and rock-bottom expectations. The only thing to suggest anything decent was the effects on the soccer field. Effects are not even close enough to carry a movie.

Anything that makes Chris Pratt seem uncharming and boring without doing so on purpose is just plain awful writing :)

Edit: You can't say k-i-l-l? This board re-boot has put a really idiotic filter into place. I'd say it's over **** lol
It was average at best. Not really worth the time to give a negative review. Not sure Chris McKay was the right director for this one, as the worst part of the movie were all the action scenes.

And the soccer field was easily the worst scene of the whole movie. They come out of this portal and stand in the middle of a panicked soccer field and somehow the camera is in closeup on her and she announces they need help with no microphones? How does that work in the middle of a soccer field exactly?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

No offense, but almost everything you review is a negative to you.

You seem to have a high opinion...of your opinions.

If a show doesn't conform to the exact standards of how you want it to be, it isn't fitting to be on screen. You can never enjoy anything for what it is.

Must be a burden being such a literary.

Stout

Reaction score
It was average at best. Not really worth the time to give a negative review. Not sure Chris McKay was the right director for this one, as the worst part of the movie were all the action scenes.

And the soccer field was easily the worst scene of the whole movie. They come out of this portal and stand in the middle of a panicked soccer field and somehow the camera is in closeup on her and she announces they need help with no microphones? How does that work in the middle of a soccer field exactly?

Actually, that's pretty well said, Chap: Not really worth the time to give a negative review. As an artist, I want folks to love or hate my work; the biggest slap to the face is indifference to it. Good damning review you gave there.

Stout

Reaction score
No offense, but almost everything you review is a negative to you.

You seem to have a high opinion...of your opinions.

If a show doesn't conform to the exact standards of how you want it to be, it isn't fitting to be on screen. You can never enjoy anything for what it is.

Must be a burden being such a literary.
What's a literary? And, actually, I hate "literary" fiction, as I'm a genre fan through and through. Good sci-fi is my jam, second only to good fantasy. Give me the original Conan movie; give me Alien (arguably horror). Give me good popcorn stuff like Lifeforce. I mean, where can you find a better space vampire movie with a hot former ballerina walking around full frontal the whole movie? Give me good humor, like just about all the Monty Python works. Give me a tense spy thriller like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which I just saw for the first time the other day. Give me schlocky Bond movies and good, serious, nasty Bond movies. You can give me Vietnam war movies, grimdark war movies, or pulpy war movies, just don't bore me with war movies (extra credit for catching the reference).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Actually, that's pretty well said, Chap: Not really worth the time to give a negative review. As an artist, I want folks to love or hate my work; the biggest slap to the face is indifference to it. Good damning review you gave there.
I did appreciate Chris Pratt in this one more than you did, however. And Yvonne, who they gave an interesting look. Definitely looked different than she did on Chuck.

Stout

Reaction score
I did appreciate Chris Pratt in this one more than you did, however. And Yvonne, who they gave an interesting look. Definitely looked different than she did on Chuck.
To be fair, I'm sure Pratt got better as the movie went on. He was basically just sad sack from what I saw.

Was that Yvonne as his wife? If so, I definitely agree with you there. Loved her on chuck.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To be fair, I'm sure Pratt got better as the movie went on. He was basically just sad sack from what I saw.

Was that Yvonne as his wife? If so, I definitely agree with you there. Loved her on chuck.
No she was in the future.

And he kinda was supposed to be a sad sack at the beginning.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
What's a literary? And, actually, I hate "literary" fiction, as I'm a genre fan through and through. Good sci-fi is my jam, second only to good fantasy. Give me the original Conan movie; give me Alien (arguably horror). Give me good popcorn stuff like Lifeforce. I mean, where can you find a better space vampire movie with a hot former ballerina walking around full frontal the whole movie? Give me good humor, like just about all the Monty Python works. Give me a tense spy thriller like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which I just saw for the first time the other day. Give me schlocky Bond movies and good, serious, nasty Bond movies. You can give me Vietnam war movies, grimdark war movies, or pulpy war movies, just don't bore me with war movies (extra credit for catching the reference).

Look up "literary snob," read the results and apply it to movies and TV, in your case.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I liked it for what it was… a silly action movie that more or less kept me entertained even though it had a hefty runtime.… and quite frankly, I think that was pretty much all it was trying to accomplish, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Stout

Reaction score
Look up "literary snob," read the results and apply it to movies and TV, in your case.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Oh, you meant literary SNOB! Gotcha. I didn't think anyone dense enough to think literary was supposed to be a noun there ;)

Heartbreak Ridge?

Right in one, sir! In other words, don't be Major Carrrnuttt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose