Lakers @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 5-25-2021 - Game #2

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He wasn’t great getting second snd third fouls taking him completely out of the game and putting us at a big disadvantage in the first half.

Yeah his 2 quick fouls in the 1st qrt hurt but he played great D and was damn aggressive throughout the game, diving after balls, fighting for the jump ball. He just sucked at shooting.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im not to upset over lost just glad suns got 1 w in az atleast

Really just want to see suns battle there guts out over how many more gms remain cp3 or no cp3 may be just book ayton team again ugn

With paul suns win tonight just ugh ugh ugh

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next season and beyond. This discussion started when @Proximo suggested extending him would be a bad decision.

I want him next year. But any longer than that is too risky for big money IMO.

basically his only option would be New York, and I think he would rather pick up the player option than go there.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thoughts:
1. Major tactical error by Suns to not attack Davis with Booker after he picked up his second foul with 8:59 left in the 1st quarter. In fact the very first possession after it they got the switch and gave Ayton a pointless post feed in a position where he could not do any damage.

2. Similarly, coming out of the timeout with 3:40 left, down 1, strange decision to (again) try to *exploit* a mismatch with Ayton in post. Payne was cooking and my preference would have been to have him (or Booker) switch on to Davis and attack him (let Ayton crash glass).

3. The full-strength Suns are clearly better than the full-strength Lakers. Paul has played ONE quarter where he has not been severely limited and we have outscored them. It is pretty astonishing. We haven’t even run amazing from 3, either. Lots of talk of the Lakers *locking down* at the end, but our defense (zone sprinkled in) flummoxed them throughout most of the 4th. LeBron hit two crazy shots (5 points) and Davis made a key 3 (26% Draymond level shooter). Also, Caruso made a random tough drive and shot in the 4th when their offense was in mud.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The story is Lakers front court with Davis with 34, James 23 and Drummond 15.

Add that to an ineffective Chris Paul.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thoughts:
1. Major tactical error by Suns to not attack Davis with Booker after he picked up his second foul with 8:59 left in the 1st quarter. In fact the very first possession after it they got the switch and gave Ayton a pointless post feed in a position where he could not do any damage.

2. Similarly, coming out of the timeout with 3:40 left, down 1, strange decision to (again) try to *exploit* a mismatch with Ayton in post. Payne was cooking and my preference would have been to have him (or Booker) switch on to Davis and attack him (let Ayton crash glass).

3. The full-strength Suns are clearly better than the full-strength Lakers. Paul has played ONE quarter where he has not been severely limited and we have outscored them. It is pretty astonishing. We haven’t even run amazing from 3, either. Lots of talk of the Lakers *locking down* at the end, but our defense (zone sprinkled in) flummoxed them throughout most of the 4th. LeBron hit two crazy shots (5 points) and Davis made a key 3 (26% Draymond level shooter). Also, Caruso made a random tough drive and shot in the 4th when their offense was in mud.

Good points but AD did have 34 points. He played way better then the last game.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t do Book and Ayton as our two best players again, especially without the leadership of CP3. They have to re-sign him risk be damned.
Yep. This would be like the Suns with Amar'e and Marion pre Nash era. No thanks. I'd take that risk as well as long as he's not completely damaged goods at the time.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Couple others:

1. Our focus and energy on defense were lacking. Dennis got to the rim way too easily. We got caught watching the ball a lot and were not locked in which led to a bunch of positional misalignment fouls.

2. It was great to see Payne demonstrating an ability to find DA on multiple drives. We are going to need him to make a lot of plays.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping they get something done for 2-3 years. I’d be fine if he opted-in though.

Next season and beyond. This discussion started when @Proximo suggested extending him would be a bad decision.

It's all about how much the Suns have to pay him. If Paul cannot recover during the playoffs I think his market value goes down.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thoughts:

I don't know what's worse, the Suns loss or your return.

I kid. Welcome back!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we still not know how Dario went from 6-MOY candidate to complete trash?
Dario was never the answer. I said he could never start for a great team and wouldn’t be the answer here. I took a bunch of grief from people for saying it.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was trash before that too. He’s just incomsistent or hurt.

EJ said he thought Saric played well in the bubble because he couldn’t handle the fans. Maybe the fans are bothering him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

really he’s been more trash than not the last 3 seasons. Basically played well in the bubble and like one 6 or 7 game stretch this season.

he’s just so bad athletically, there are not many matchups he can win.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dario was never the answer. I said he could never start for a great team and wouldn’t be the answer here. I took a bunch of grief from people for saying it.

It's like this...Saric has good and bad games and so does Frank. You dont stay with a bad hand...try Frank at least!

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
really he’s been more trash than not the last 3 seasons. Basically played well in the bubble and like one 6 or 7 game stretch this season.

he’s just so bad athletically, there are not many matchups he can win.

Plus his passing was like he was blindfold

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone remember when Lamar Odom was killing the suns in 2010 playoffs and Amare called him lucky? Aytons having a lucky Lamar Odom series so far.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was the backup small ball center in the Orlando bubble. He hasn't produced consistently this season in that role.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

maybe that’s because no one ever claimed he should start.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good points but AD did have 34 points. He played way better then the last game.

Yes, he played way better. He made three dunks, two short jumpers, and two threes. And a hell of a lot of free throws. He missed the majority of his jumpers (even with nailing the two threes out of four taken). He is a mediocre perimeter jump shooter.

He played better because he played much much more aggressively, which, combined with our slightly less locked in defense combined to doom us.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He was trash before that too. He’s just incomsistent or hurt.

EJ said he thought Saric played well in the bubble because he couldn’t handle the fans. Maybe the fans are bothering him.

He was efficient and making good reads early this year. He was a positive at least temporarily but he’s fallen off a cliff mentally.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone remember when Lamar Odom was killing the suns in 2010 playoffs and Amare called him lucky? Aytons having a lucky Lamar Odom series so far.

nah. It’s not hard for a 7 footer to make open dunks and layups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson