Lakers @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 5-25-2021 - Game #2

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the coaches do it so there much be a logic but it's not like Saric has been setting the world on fire with his play.

Oh..wasn't making an argument to get Saric off the bench more but possibly a couple other players. Especially, with everything shifting around with CP3 hurt.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure why, but I hate the Clippers more than any other team right now and I am thoroughly enjoying watching them come undone.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh..wasn't making an argument to get Saric off the bench more but possibly a couple other players. Especially, with everything shifting around with CP3 hurt.

I think we are agreeing.

I was making the same point about Kaminsky and Craig. Also the Suns have some guards on the bench that can be effective at times.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Do we still not know how Dario went from 6-MOY candidate to complete trash?

Really, that's why Dario, in spite of a nice skill set for a big, isn't starting somewhere in the NBA and is coming off our bench instead.

Raindog

Reaction score
He definitely seems to have shortened the rotation. I never get it when coaches do that. I mean, use what got you here all season long.

I agree... it's a bit worrying. In Suns playoff history, we have seen that scene play out far too often.

Raindog

Reaction score
Not sure what that has to do with it.

Because if he had the consistency to play at the level he was playing at to be considered for post season awards, he would probably still be starting in Philly or Minnesota instead of having been traded twice in two seasons and ending up on our bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because if he had the consistency to play at the level he was playing at to be considered for post season awards, he would probably still be starting in Philly or Minnesota instead of having been traded twice in two seasons and ending up on our bench.

He was traded by Philly for Jimmy Butler, any team would do that in a heartbeat. Philly really liked him and that's where Monty got familiar with him, Monty was an assistant coach in Philly. Saric wasn't happy in Minnesota and was dealt in what was viewed as a good trade for them since he didn't like being there and he moved them from 12th to 6th in the lottery.

Implying he was traded because he isn't good doesn't hold water. CP3 has been traded 3 times in 4 seasons and was a dark horse for MVP and has been on a few All NBA teams throughout that time. So saying a player being dealt doesn't have value or cant contend for postseason awards doesn't make sense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If one steps back and looks at the game, the Suns got production from Booker (31), Ayton (22) and Payne (19 with 7 assists).

The bigger problem, is no one else stood up to carry the load.
Book padded that a LOT with what amounted to garbage time free throws. When he reentered the game and we were right there he couldn’t buy a bucket or a call.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Book padded that a LOT with what amounted to garbage time free throws. When he reentered the game and we were right there he couldn’t buy a bucket or a call.

Lakers fans claiming booker got a lot of calls, and right during garbage time when the game was over. Where were the calls a minute or two earlier? I swear the officiating is so biased.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to blame Barkley, first he had us down and out of the series when the Lakers beat Warriors. We win game 1, and now he guaranteed a suns win.

Seriously i'm just so frustrated with the calls. Coaching too, we need some timeouts. Craig needs time, he adds rebounding and poise. Saric just looks shook out there.
Paynes penetration is giving them fits. I wish they'd call the Lakers for flopping or fines.

Booker tried to draw the same bs calls Caruso got, right in front of the refs and nothing. Ayton was hacked on his dunk by AD, the dunk that kind of bounced a bit and went in.

Booker just laid an egg with 2-3min to go. Bridges and Crowder need to score some points, their lack of ball handling or being able to drive and create their own shot is a problem when theyre not making shots. Cam is doing about as well as he can with inconsistent minutes.
There were a few loose balls that we didn't get on the floor for, i think it was Crowder and Saric who didnt go out and dive for them, Payne did all he could to secure a few loose balls.

Shroeder also killed us as well, i'm not sure how we adjust.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I just can’t hang a loss on Book. Not when he’s easily much more of a net-positive versus being reasons why we lost.
Yes, it would’ve been epic if he alone could’ve stepped up in crunch time and made the loss of CP3 irrelevant. But IMHO, against the #1 defense in the league and defending champs, that’s asking a lot of any one.
Even with a healthy Paul, we still need guys like Crowder, Bridges, Saric and Cam Johnson to play much bigger roles on offense. But without Paul? It becomes virtually impossible to beat this Laker team.

Bottom line for me is that I see a level of fight, grit and scrappyness in this team that makes me smile way more than not.
They need a better solution at PF. One who can be counted on to be a reliable scorer, but is also not a defensive weakness. Crowder is tremendous defensively and his basketball IQ is a huge plus. But he’s killing us not being able to put the ball in the hoop...

Raindog

Reaction score
Implying he was traded because he isn't good doesn't hold water. CP3 has been traded 3 times in 4 seasons and was a dark horse for MVP and has been on a few All NBA teams throughout that time. So saying a player being dealt doesn't have value or cant contend for postseason awards doesn't make sense.

I didn't say (or "imply" even) he was traded because he was no good. I said he was traded (and more significantly, is a bench player) because he has proven to be too inconsistent to be a "star" (or even a "starter") in his prior NBA career.

Which is both 100% relevant to why he has been traded in the past, and furthermore, why he sometimes plays badly enough to frustrate us (and his prior teams) so much.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's like the referees were giving Booker foul calls they didn't make earlier in the game at the end.

Bottom line the Suns needed someone else to step up in the game. Ayton, Booker and Payne did their share but no one else filled the void left by Chris Paul not being able to go full strength.

The frustrating thing for me is that Monty had the players on the bench who could help fill that void in Kaminsky, Craig, Carter and Moore.

Bridges, Crowder, Saric and Cam Johnson were not up to the task in varying extents.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any update on paul all that concerns me as a fan? Ugh like 3 hrs zzz im exhausted that loss hurt I'm certain with fing paul suns win ..... what happens when u go older leaders

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any update on paul all that concerns me as a fan? Ugh like 3 hrs zzz im exhausted that loss hurt I'm certain with fing paul suns win ..... what happens when u go older leaders

It was a rough night for sure. I tried to talk out some of my frustration on the forum before I went to bed. It helped some.

We will hear more about about Chris Paul later today but I think there is a good chance he will not play Thursday or play limited minutes.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
maybe cp3 can nut punch someone on the lakers next game

Unabrow is due some payback for that kick on Crowder. He was called for so many fouls he was almost gone two minutes into the game. NBA is rigged. It is shameful.

Let's see how the Suns respond in LA. I thought our defense was not as good as usual in game two. Also the Lakers moved more players on Booker and the high pick and roll. It cost us too many turnovers. I hope Paul can contribute more the next game. Also Booker needs to score first and distribute second. Too many times he looked to pass inside when coming off the screen. Better to think shot and let Ayton get the offensive rebound, or hit someone on the perimeter. Hopefully Monty goes deeper into his bench if we struggle.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bottom line is our wings have to play better. Period. Ayton and Booker for the most part are doing everything they can, they just need help.
Suns need bridges cam to get there groove back in gm 2 and dario ugh lol. Keeping fingers heavily crossed on paul suns luck lol.....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is our wings have to play better. Period. Ayton and Booker for the most part are doing everything they can, they just need help.

this is definitely true. Before the game my father and I were talking and said only way we win without CP3 is for Bridges, Cam Johnson and Jae to hit threes. We got, what... 4 total from them? We need at least ONE of them to have a big night if we plan to win Thursday or ever again in this series. Likely two of them.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We had a real opportunity to get AD in foul trouble last night. He had 2 fouls with 8 minutes left in the first quarter. We should have been going right at him to try and get that 3rd foul and he likely would have been done for most of the half. Considering he was the Laker that killed us the most that could have been a difference maker in this game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard