Jordan Hicks given permission by team to seek trade

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Cards give veteran LB permission to seek trade after drafting Zaven Collins.

Interesting as I assumed they would initially rotate Collins in slowly but if Hicks is gone he will be our starting 'backer with Budda i would think wearing the green dot.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards give veteran LB permission to seek trade after drafting Zaven Collins.

Interesting as I assumed they would initially rotate Collins in slowly but if Hicks is gone he will be our starting 'backer with Budda i would think wearing the green dot.

I don't think it's Collins who fully made that decision for them, although it tipped the scales for sure. I think they like Vallejo there too over Hicks.

Obviously now, they hope Collins takes that spot but I think they had Vallejo penciled in to play more either way.

I'm not sure why they didn't last year. In Week 7 and 17 he took snaps from Hicks and looked better. Feel's like they could have given Vallejo more after that week 7 game considering how poor Hicks was.

Maybe he needs to be in a 4-3 like at Philly.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
nobody is trading for Hicks unless there is a training camp injury

this feels a little bit like Keim issued an edict to Vance: Collins will play (i.e. no Simmons part 2)

i think it also illustrates Keim's insecurity: he feels great pressure to get his 1st round pick on the field

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m ok with that... MLB is the one position where rookies routinely come in and make an impact. Hopefully ours does.

Oh, I'm cool with it too. The story since the draft was how great it would be to have Hicks mentoring Collins. I was just saying that is out the window.

Toss the rookie out there, IMHO. Let's go !!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm cool with it too. The story since the draft was how great it would be to have Hicks mentoring Collins. I was just saying that is out the window.

Toss the rookie out there, IMHO. Let's go !!

Just speculation but I’m guessing once it was put out there that Collins is going to be and expected to be the starter Hicks asked for this....

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just speculation but I’m guessing once it was put out there that Collins is going to be and expected to be the starter Hicks asked for this....

Yup, almost certainly this is Hicks request and the team want to give him a chance and not keep a disgruntled guy around.

Win win really for the FO. If he tests the market and finds no takers then he stays and it removes any issues with feeling unhappy. If he finds a buyer then we get something back for him.

We still have Vallejo for depth and he was better than Hicks last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yup, almost certainly this is Hicks request and the team want to give him a chance and not keep a disgruntled guy around.

Win win really for the FO. If he tests the market and finds no takers then he stays and it removes any issues with feeling unhappy. If he finds a buyer then we get something back for him.

We still have Vallejo for depth and he was better than Hicks last year.

This seems pretty naive.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah we really have no seasoned vet at ILB if he’s gone. That’s kind of squirrelly.

Yep. Our first rounder had better be everything advertised, and possibly more, from day one, else we're rather screwed up the middle. Not that Hicks was any great shakes or anything, but we're stripping the position down and counting heavily on the kid.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Slapping a rookie right into the starting spot? Sheez. Love Zaven, but I'm wary. Is this a knee jerk reaction to VJ and company butchering Isaiah Simmons rookie campaign?? This could end poorly IMO. Praying that's not the case.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Our first rounder had better be everything advertised, and possibly more, from day one, else we're rather screwed up the middle. Not that Hicks was any great shakes or anything, but we're stripping the position down and counting heavily on the kid.
Slapping a rookie right into the starting spot? Sheez. Love Zaven, but I'm wary. Is this a knee jerk reaction to VJ and company butchering Isaiah Simmons rookie campaign?? This could end poorly IMO. Praying that's not the case.

Yea you guys are over thinking it. hicks is slow and sucked. He was a liability. Rookie MLBs routinely play and play very well in the NFL.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bears did this with Roquan Smith and he did fine.

whether true or not it certainly has a little ring of Keim projecting his confidence with this pick to the fan base.

And if this is a way to dictate to VJ who should play it is very sad.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff was clearly on board in the draft room with the pick and they have telegraphed their intent since the day of the pick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose