Jordan Hicks given permission by team to seek trade

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just speculation but I’m guessing once it was put out there that Collins is going to be and expected to be the starter Hicks asked for this....

Yup, almost certainly this is Hicks request and the team want to give him a chance and not keep a disgruntled guy around.

Win win really for the FO. If he tests the market and finds no takers then he stays and it removes any issues with feeling unhappy. If he finds a buyer then we get something back for him.

We still have Vallejo for depth and he was better than Hicks last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yup, almost certainly this is Hicks request and the team want to give him a chance and not keep a disgruntled guy around.

Win win really for the FO. If he tests the market and finds no takers then he stays and it removes any issues with feeling unhappy. If he finds a buyer then we get something back for him.

We still have Vallejo for depth and he was better than Hicks last year.

This seems pretty naive.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah we really have no seasoned vet at ILB if he’s gone. That’s kind of squirrelly.

Yep. Our first rounder had better be everything advertised, and possibly more, from day one, else we're rather screwed up the middle. Not that Hicks was any great shakes or anything, but we're stripping the position down and counting heavily on the kid.

phillycard

Registered
Reaction score
Slapping a rookie right into the starting spot? Sheez. Love Zaven, but I'm wary. Is this a knee jerk reaction to VJ and company butchering Isaiah Simmons rookie campaign?? This could end poorly IMO. Praying that's not the case.

Shane

Current STAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Our first rounder had better be everything advertised, and possibly more, from day one, else we're rather screwed up the middle. Not that Hicks was any great shakes or anything, but we're stripping the position down and counting heavily on the kid.
Slapping a rookie right into the starting spot? Sheez. Love Zaven, but I'm wary. Is this a knee jerk reaction to VJ and company butchering Isaiah Simmons rookie campaign?? This could end poorly IMO. Praying that's not the case.

Yea you guys are over thinking it. hicks is slow and sucked. He was a liability. Rookie MLBs routinely play and play very well in the NFL.

slanidrac16

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bears did this with Roquan Smith and he did fine.

whether true or not it certainly has a little ring of Keim projecting his confidence with this pick to the fan base.

And if this is a way to dictate to VJ who should play it is very sad.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff was clearly on board in the draft room with the pick and they have telegraphed their intent since the day of the pick

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This seems pretty naive.

In what way?

There are people here arguing we don't need to cut Kennard as we don't need the money. It's even less so for Hicks after his adjusted deal.

I think this is Hicks choice and if he can't find a trade they are happy to keep him around for depth. Unless a situation arises where they do need the money.

Shane

Current STAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In what way?

There are people here arguing we don't need to cut Kennard as we don't need the money. It's even less so for Hicks after his adjusted deal.

I think this is Hicks choice and if he can't find a trade they are happy to keep him around for depth. Unless a situation arises where they do need the money.

It’s naïve to think he would be happy and content even if he can’t find a suitor in a trade

PACardsFan

Reaction score
nobody is trading for Hicks unless there is a training camp injury

this feels a little bit like Keim issued an edict to Vance: Collins will play (i.e. no Simmons part 2)

i think it also illustrates Keim's insecurity: he feels great pressure to get his 1st round pick on the field
Keim is from my neck of the woods here in PA, and I know some of his old buddies. If Keim could have strangled Joseph last year for not playing Simmons, he WOULD have. Bottom line, you don’t draft a player at 8, and sit him on the bench until midseason. Especially when your D is below average to begin with.

phillycard

Registered
Reaction score
Yea you guys are over thinking it. hicks is slow and sucked. He was a liability. Rookie MLBs routinely play and play very well in the NFL.

Shane, I'll give you he wasn't a world beater. But he is a vet, and understands the nuances of the position. I fully expected Zaven to outperform him by midseason and reduce him to a bystander, but WK 1 against Derrick Henry, and Tannehill on the road??? It's a scary spot for a star LB from Tulsa to be in. Overall to your point, I'm more concerned about the secondary's cohesion than anything else. This move isn't life or death in my opinion and your main asertion is duly noted bro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pokinmik