State Of The Team

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With the Draft and FA (for the most part) in the rear view mirror, I think it might be fun to see where the team stands. And keep in mind that I post as a "Glass is half full" type of fan. Many on this board hope that this will be the last for our GM and HC. But in order for that to happen we'll have to finish below .500, and I don't see that happening. However, if we finish at .500 (8-8-1) or even at 9-8, I can envision KK being let go. But with what we've done in FA and trades and the Draft, at least 10 wins seems very doable. But many of the experts don't see us improving very much, so nothing is for certain.
What do I know that the experts don't, or simply overlook. I'll generalize:

Offense-I'm very high on our OL, primarily because of the Hudson addition, and think that it will help us improve both running and passing. When the experts evaluate our running game all they seem to talk about are the guys running the ball and not the guys blocking. And, this will naturally help the passing game, but here I'm most excited by the two additions (Green/Moore). Sort of giddy by the thought of Rondale on jet sweeps, or on a fake, with him going one way and Kyler keeping it and going the other. Drake might be a better runner than Conner, but I have a feeling that Conner is better at 3rd and short.

Defense-Can't believe when the experts talk about any improvement in our defense they focus on JJ Watt and to a lesser extent the two ILB's Collins and Simmons. Chandler Jones must be asking, what am I, chopped liver? And don't forget our hidden gem pass rusher, Dennis Gardeck. If you're being objective expect a significant improvement in the pass rush. Again, the experts say, maybe so but your DB's are not good. To which I say, and will admit that's a group that still has to be addressed. But we do have the $$ to do so, and I expect SK to do that.

Special Teams-This group has gotten little to no recognition and we do have an aging kicker and punter. But I expect our kicking game to make maybe a two game difference. And if Matt Prater was our kicker last year, we would have made the playoffs.

Bottom Line-The team is improved, but once again it will depend upon on how much KM is improved. And a normal TC and PS will be a big help.

See you on Hard Knocks. :)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie. I'm lo-key excited about the whole team, but I feel surprisingly giddy at the prospect of the defense being something special. If Butler and more importantly Alford can give us quality play, we have the makings of one of the best defenses we've had in years. The pass rush has a potential to be flat out terrifying with great depth to boot. Hicks will be pushed by Zaven to show and prove or risk sitting down. Budda's gonna Budda, and Banjo, although not great won't be a liability out there. It just feels really good to see Defense as a priority again, and I love the blend of veteran leadership with an influx of young bucks looking to make their marks. I'm excited to see the finished product take the field week 1.

:newcards:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Totally agree with the defensive point of view.
I've said all along, we are basically adding Chandler Jones and JJ Watt to last years defensive front 7. Anyone who says that is not an upgrade to any team in the NFL is kidding themselves. Add to it that we will have Golden for the entire year, along with Simmons (who should have got more playing time last year). I will admit, that our CB's are an unknown. However, Peterson was basically a liability in coverage last year, so Butler is either on par with that or better. The #2 corner is going to be a bit of a gray area but that has been the case for years. No difference there.
I will add, my biggest concern is Vance Joseph. I don't have much faith on the coaching but I'm hoping the talent and athleticism on the field can overcome some of that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Changes to come yet. I expect a bunch more roster moves yet but generally I'm excited.

Then I remember Kliff is still HC and my shoulders slump a bit.

This is where I am at. I feel like this team can only go so far with Kliff.

I want to be optimistic, because I feel like Kyler has the ability to be the MVP, but last season just has caused me to lose all faith in our coaching.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its wild that on paper I think our roster is the 3rd best in the division. I really like our roster too.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
This team will win 11 games

we had, what, 3 loses by 3 points or less (I believe) doesn’t seem like it would take much improvement on offense to fix that where the game isn’t in the kickers hands (so to speak). Add in defensive improvements and I could see 11+ wins. Ok, I’m an optimist….

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I’m typically pretty pessimistic when it comes to the Cardinals. On paper this team should be significantly better than last year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m hoping to be excited about the season. Right now I’m just worried that we are depending on a lot of dudes on the wrong side of 30, guys with injury histories, and bounce back seasons. Lots of ifs . . .

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Improved, yes!

Imo bottom line is our playoff fate will likely come down to health & coaching. With that said, Kliff just isn’t a quality HC in the NFL or college. As long as he’s the Cards HC we are behind the eight ball.

Kliff Kingsbury is the Cards #1 weakness!!!

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think this team is improved and should win between 10-12 games...my concern is that this team is looks like a one year winner and what happens when next season hits and Keim points at his 12 win season and Bidwill keeps him?

I think the offense should be better with improved offensive line play (addition of Hudson, further maturation of young players, AND subtraction of awful Sweezy), better receivers (I think Green WILL be better than Fitz was and Moore will produce at least a half dozen, big chunk plays), and a better RB (yes I think Conner will be an improvement on third and short and overall will get the yards that are there more often). Tight end is the only position that is weaker and Dan Arnold was pretty damn inconsistently used, so I don't think it matters much.

The season can be derailed by IFs, but that can be said for most teams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think this team is improved and should win between 10-12 games...my concern is that this team is looks like a one year winner and what happens when next season hits and Keim points at his 12 win season and Bidwill keeps him?

I think the offense should be better with improved offensive line play (addition of Hudson, further maturation of young players, AND subtraction of awful Sweezy), better receivers (I think Green WILL be better than Fitz was and Moore will produce at least a half dozen, big chunk plays), and a better RB (yes I think Conner will be an improvement on third and short and overall will get the yards that are there more often). Tight end is the only position that is weaker and Dan Arnold was pretty damn inconsistently used, so I don't think it matters much.

We’re just relying on a LOT more of them than is typical of successful teams.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Athletic linebackers are the key on defense.

ive said it now in a couple of threads: Dansby/dwash patrolled the field.

Those 2 had a stretch that made our defense scary. I remember a few games they shut teams down: annihilated offenses.

Isaiah and zaven are going to be better than those 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Athletic linebackers are the key on defense.

ive said it now in a couple of threads: Dansby/dwash patrolled the field.

Those 2 had a stretch that made our defense scary. I remember a few games they shut teams down: annihilated offenses.

Isaiah and zaven are going to be better than those 2.

I really would have loved to see those two guys flanked by Jones with Reddick’s speed off the edge. I think that would have been a whirling dervish that could have wreaked havoc on offenses with every tool in the shed... power, strength and speed.

hell, being 14 million under the cap, in an ALL IN year, we still could have afforded Reddick’s salary this year without having lost anyone else we picked up. And then we could have cut Kennard June 1st to still make even more room to get a solid CB #2. This D could have just thrown wave after wave at the QB with having great depth.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As I wrote if it's eight or nine, KK will be gone, and possibly SK. I just see us winning more than ten. We're all just guessing.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Good stuff!

BIDWILL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose