2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horrible game last night for the Warriors. I still don't like Luka, the constant grinning etc and the way he hooks with the off arm and then flails and gets fouls but man is he good. They had a 28-0 run in the first quarter to put the Warriors away. Steph came out hot in the 3rd quarter, quick 8 points and it looked like maybe they could make a run and Luka just said not on my watch. 23 in the quarter ate Wiggins alive, and Wigg has become a good defender. He's just got this "pace" for lack of a better word that no matter what's going on around him, he's under control. And he uses that big body to get room and he's got amazing touch, probably uses the glass as well as anybody in the NBA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horrible game last night for the Warriors. I still don't like Luka, the constant grinning etc and the way he hooks with the off arm and then flails and gets fouls but man is he good. They had a 28-0 run in the first quarter to put the Warriors away. Steph came out hot in the 3rd quarter, quick 8 points and it looked like maybe they could make a run and Luka just said not on my watch. 23 in the quarter ate Wiggins alive, and Wigg has become a good defender. He's just got this "pace" for lack of a better word that no matter what's going on around him, he's under control. And he uses that big body to get room and he's got amazing touch, probably uses the glass as well as anybody in the NBA.

Yeah I've grown to really despise the guy but he's an incredible player. If he has a long and healthy career he'll probably become one of the top 5 players of all time, the most popular player world-wide and likely the most disliked player ever by American fans.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've grown to really despise the guy but he's an incredible player. If he has a long and healthy career he'll probably become one of the top 5 players of all time, the most popular player world-wide and likely the most disliked player ever by American fans.

For me it's the smirk and the flops but yeah he's REALLY good. At the end of the half he just went coast to coast under control. Curry tried to take a charge he pulled up short of the charge and hit the floater just so under control.

There was a stretch in the 3rd quarter where 3 times he hooked Wiggins and not only got away with it, twice HE got the foul called on Wiggins. Wiggins was furious as was Kerr. Kerr finally got a T when the Mavs stole an outlet the player dribbled the ball, stopped at the foul line, shot fakes and then dribbles again and passes to I think Luka who nailed the 3. Kerr came out on the court screaming for the double dribble they called a T and then later we were told by TNT that the ref during a break had apologized to Kerr and admitted on the replay it was double dribble and Kerr was right. Didn't matter 30 point blowout the whole game but kerr was frustrated because Luka kept getting away with the hook but he's VERY subtle at it. On one play I think he actually hooked Wiggins, had a piece of his own jersey and then fell back and the ref saw the jersey and thought Wiggins was holding him. Annoying but also brilliant.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it's the smirk and the flops but yeah he's REALLY good. At the end of the half he just went coast to coast under control. Curry tried to take a charge he pulled up short of the charge and hit the floater just so under control.

There was a stretch in the 3rd quarter where 3 times he hooked Wiggins and not only got away with it, twice HE got the foul called on Wiggins. Wiggins was furious as was Kerr. Kerr finally got a T when the Mavs stole an outlet the player dribbled the ball, stopped at the foul line, shot fakes and then dribbles again and passes to I think Luka who nailed the 3. Kerr came out on the court screaming for the double dribble they called a T and then later we were told by TNT that the ref during a break had apologized to Kerr and admitted on the replay it was double dribble and Kerr was right. Didn't matter 30 point blowout the whole game but kerr was frustrated because Luka kept getting away with the hook but he's VERY subtle at it. On one play I think he actually hooked Wiggins, had a piece of his own jersey and then fell back and the ref saw the jersey and thought Wiggins was holding him. Annoying but also brilliant.

Someone needs to start flopping on the hook or lock arms.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me it's the arrogance which shows up in things like his smirk in addition to his flopping and his whining. But watching him play the game it's almost impossible to believe he's this good this young. Maybe he'll mature and lose some of that arrogance when he turns 23? Not that the best players aren't typically arrogant, he just overachieves there like he has in so many other areas.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still amazed by how ridiculously wrong I was about Doncic. I think he’s getting wasted in Dallas with a really subpar team surrounding him and won’t be surprised if he bolts first chance he’s given.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still amazed by how ridiculously wrong I was about Doncic. I think he’s getting wasted in Dallas with a really subpar team surrounding him and won’t be surprised if he bolts first chance he’s given.

To be fair unless you'd seen him a lot I don't see how anybody couldn't have been wrong on him. He has a bad body, he can't jump and he is a cocky "jerk" on the court. But he's an insanely good player. I know it's a white thing but the best comparison I can see is Larry BIrd, not as big, but same can't jump a lick but nobody can guard him.

The Warriors went Curry on him doubling him off screens and he would just hold the ball and then hit the roller for an easy shot or a pass leading to a shot, just could not fluster him.

There was one play he was in a crowd and tried to flip up a shot, Wiggins blocked it, finally, and Luka just got it back and put it in the look on wiggins face was priceless what do I do?

Really good, my one concern would be if he's this thick now what happens in a few years, but so far it does not impact him at all he's damn near unguardable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair unless you'd seen him a lot I don't see how anybody couldn't have been wrong on him. He has a bad body, he can't jump and he is a cocky "jerk" on the court. But he's an insanely good player. I know it's a white thing but the best comparison I can see is Larry BIrd, not as big, but same can't jump a lick but nobody can guard him.

The Warriors went Curry on him doubling him off screens and he would just hold the ball and then hit the roller for an easy shot or a pass leading to a shot, just could not fluster him.

There was one play he was in a crowd and tried to flip up a shot, Wiggins blocked it, finally, and Luka just got it back and put it in the look on wiggins face was priceless what do I do?

Really good, my one concern would be if he's this thick now what happens in a few years, but so far it does not impact him at all he's damn near unguardable.

that’s the craziest thing about his game at such a young age... he’s pretty unflappable. My bigger concern is what happens if he loses the baby fat and turns that thickness into muscle or at least more toned thickness?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that’s the craziest thing about his game at such a young age... he’s pretty unflappable. My bigger concern is what happens if he loses the baby fat and turns that thickness into muscle or at least more toned thickness?

Yeah if he does that look out but for a guy with a bad body he's remarkably good.

Another comparison would be Rick Barry, everyone HATED that guy he was MUCH more demonstrative than Luka and when he came into the league a much better athlete, but similar in that he was just good at everything and no matter how much people hated him they could not stop him.

Wiggins has become a really good defender and he could not do a thing with Luka last night he just got worked over and over. Oubre did a bit better job on him but couldn't really stop him either.

He had 39 and sat out the 4th could have easily had 50

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I think if anything does slow him down or stop him early it will be wear and tear plus lack of care. The Mavs have to be working on getting him to improve his diet and exercise routine but Luka probably sees Harden and figures why bother. But Harden is even more of a physical freak, I think he could play at Shaq weight - he's the wrong role model for most humans.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doncic is going to be unstoppable on offense like an improved and taller James Hardin as he perfects his craft and of course gets all the calls.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that doesn't get talked about is that his game is going to age extremely well because he doesn't rely on his athleticism. He's going to be a problem for years and years.

Yeah losing his leaping ability isn't going to matter much but if he loses a step, that will. It just depends on what wears down.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah if he does that look out but for a guy with a bad body he's remarkably good.

Another comparison would be Rick Barry, everyone HATED that guy he was MUCH more demonstrative than Luka and when he came into the league a much better athlete, but similar in that he was just good at everything and no matter how much people hated him they could not stop him.

Wiggins has become a really good defender and he could not do a thing with Luka last night he just got worked over and over. Oubre did a bit better job on him but couldn't really stop him either.

He had 39 and sat out the 4th could have easily had 50
When you play Dallas I don’t think the object is to stop Luka. I think it’s to not allow him to make players around him better. I think that’s what bridges does. Lord knows bridges doesn’t stop him. He just makes the whole game more difficult for Luka which more effectively throws the rest of the mavs’ overall game off.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't know what he said but you know it's a player's league when someone with a history of rage and violent behavior can use "threatening language toward" a ref and only receive a one gane suspension.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know what he said but you know it's a player's league when someone with a history of rage and violent behavior can use "threatening language toward" a ref and only receive a one gane suspension.
Yeah that’s nuts.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I watched Luka a lot before he got to the NBA, and even I had no idea he would be this good. I figured he would be good, but not this good this quickly. I wasn't sure he could get shots off with that step-back in the NBA, and I wasn't sure he could get into the paint/ lane any time he wants to. I honestly thought he'd end up as a combo-forward exploiting different match ups. I knew he was strong and could bully people in the paint, but I had no idea he could do whatever he wants to do against any defender in the league.

It is scary how good this kid is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I watched Luka a lot before he got to the NBA, and even I had no idea he would be this good. I figured he would be good, but not this good this quickly. I wasn't sure he could get shots off with that step-back in the NBA, and I wasn't sure he could get into the paint/ lane any time he wants to. I honestly thought he'd end up as a combo-forward exploiting different match ups. I knew he was strong and could bully people in the paint, but I had no idea he could do whatever he wants to do against any defender in the league.

It is scary how good this kid is.
I was also a fan pre-draft. Had silly fantasies of somehow trading for a pick to get both Ayton and doncic (lol, what a ridiculous pipe dream). But agreed, no way I’d have predicted this good this fast. Maybe not even this good at any point in his career.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was also a fan pre-draft. Had silly fantasies of somehow trading for a pick to get both Ayton and doncic (lol, what a ridiculous pipe dream). But agreed, no way I’d have predicted this good this fast. Maybe not even this good at any point in his career.

I remember the discussion. It didn't seem like such an outrageous idea back then.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA