2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was also a fan pre-draft. Had silly fantasies of somehow trading for a pick to get both Ayton and doncic (lol, what a ridiculous pipe dream). But agreed, no way I’d have predicted this good this fast. Maybe not even this good at any point in his career.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there was talking of drafting Luka trading for Capela. The Suns would’ve definitely needed a defensive presence down low with that backcourt.

I remember this one. It wouldn't have been shabby at all.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was also a fan pre-draft. Had silly fantasies of somehow trading for a pick to get both Ayton and doncic (lol, what a ridiculous pipe dream). But agreed, no way I’d have predicted this good this fast. Maybe not even this good at any point in his career.
Ha! I wanted to get Trae and Ayton.

We sure wouldn't be the defensive team we are now if we had Doncic instead of Ayton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! I wanted to get Trae and Ayton.

We sure wouldn't be the defensive team we are now if we had Doncic instead of Ayton.

if we had gotten Doncic and signed Capella to man the center spot as a lot people here were talking about we likely would have been just as good defensively if not better and had Doncic, Booker and Bridges to build around. That would have been a dynamite young core to build around with a superstar in Doncic, an ELITE #2 in Booker and two defensive stoppers with Bridges and Capella locking down the wing and paint.

I love this team but we know we’re playing on borrowed time with our best player at 35. That core four of Doncic, Booker, Bridges Capella would have had a ten year run in front of it. Definitely an intersting what if.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if we had gotten Doncic and signed Capella to man the center spot as a lot people here were talking about we likely would have been just as good defensively if not better and had Doncic, Booker and Bridges to build around. That would have been a dynamite young core to build around with a superstar in Doncic, an ELITE #2 in Booker and two defensive stoppers with Bridges and Capella locking down the wing and paint.

I love this team but we know we’re playing on borrowed time with our best player at 35. That core four of Doncic, Booker, Bridges Capella would have had a ten year run in front of it. Definitely an intersting what if.
It is interesting. It would have had a longer run, but I think this might be the better team. I still haven't figured out Doncic as far as his overall game. He is a magical offensive player.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It is interesting. It would have had a longer run, but I think this might be the better team. I still haven't figured out Doncic as far as his overall game. He is a magical offensive player.
He is a great offensive talent, but he holds the ball too much and has to be hidden from matchups on defense. Would have been interesting to see how Booker would have coexisted with him as Doncic has a way higher usage rate than CP3 or Rubio.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I highly doubt we make the Bridges trade if we had drafted Luka. We didn't really need a wing when we took him anyways and Luka would have added to the logjam we had even more.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't want to seem overly aggressive but...

@#%$ Luka!

Texas is the butthole of the universe, he's where he belongs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt we make the Bridges trade if we had drafted Luka. We didn't really need a wing when we took him anyways and Luka would have added to the logjam we had even more.

Not so sure. do you remember how many wings McD doubled up on? I mean even after Bridges we went out and blew our cap on Trevor Ariza!

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough night to be a Bucks fan. A poster on Realgm summed it up.

So let me get it straight...

Milwaukee drafted KPJ with the 30th pick in 2019 and they traded him to Cleveland along with Tony Snell for.....John Leuer?
You must be registered for see images attach

And tonight KPJ dropped 50 on them.

...in the same game Christian Wood dropped 31 on them....the same Wood who was cut by them at the winter of 2018 to make room for....Pau Gasol?

...in the same game that DJ Wilson dropped 15/12 on them....the same Wilson who they drafted in 2017 instead of....John Collins?

...in the same game that donte Divincenzo dropped...3 points? The same Divincenzo whom they drafted in 2018, right before Kevin Huerter who dropped 20 on them 3 nights ago?

...and i thought that Brogdon was their big mistake....you can't make this **** up

Worst FO of a contending team by far.
These moves deserve a separate thread

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
TBF outside of this game KPJ hasn't shown to be really all that good. The rest is pretty ugly though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBF outside of this game KPJ hasn't shown to be really all that good. The rest is pretty ugly though.

Really? I've been very impressed by him. He's a little wild and erratic but I see a lot of talent there. I know we had trouble stopping him and keep in mind, he's still a few days away from celebrating his 21st birthday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I've been very impressed by him. He's a little wild and erratic but I see a lot of talent there. I know we had trouble stopping him and keep in mind, he's still a few days away from celebrating his 21st birthday.

He's freaky talented at scoring his problems are the rest of his game and his makeup. Basically suspended out of USC, rumored to be pot but other rumors. He got suspended in Cleveland firearms and threatening to beat up someone IIRC. he's one of those guys who can just get scorchingly hot and can hit contested shots, just doesn't seem to play very hard.

Anthony Edwards went off last night too. The Warriors had cut a 17 point game to basically even and then 4th quarter Curry sitting Edwards scored like 12 quick points had 15 in about 6 minutes and put the lead back up and then even with Curry back in the game they closed out. Edwards has some real talent, still takes too many bad shots but you can see why he was picked so high he has game

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's freaky talented at scoring his problems are the rest of his game and his makeup. Basically suspended out of USC, rumored to be pot but other rumors. He got suspended in Cleveland firearms and threatening to beat up someone IIRC. he's one of those guys who can just get scorchingly hot and can hit contested shots, just doesn't seem to play very hard.

Anthony Edwards went off last night too. The Warriors had cut a 17 point game to basically even and then 4th quarter Curry sitting Edwards scored like 12 quick points had 15 in about 6 minutes and put the lead back up and then even with Curry back in the game they closed out. Edwards has some real talent, still takes too many bad shots but you can see why he was picked so high he has game

The Timberwolves have really been playing well lately. They have won their last four games including beating the Jazz twice.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I get all that and I don't know if I'd want him on my team but it's difficult to pass up on so much talent even with the warts. Maybe in a year or two you realize you're stuck with Beasley but maybe you end up with a healthy version of someone like Oubre or even Lavine.

Yeah the scouting report nailed him both good and bad. I thought he was overrated coming into the draft but I think I got that wrong - if his head is on straight he's going to be a star. He doesn't turn 20 until August so he's awfully young and doesn't have a strong basketball background, he could and should improve by leaps and bounds each year with solid NBA coaching.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clippers Nuggets tonight on ESPN is a big game in the standings. Might be the first regular season game of another team sans the Suns that I’m interested to watch in probably over a decade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steph just went nuts in the 3rd quarter. GS was down 5 at the half land is now up 20 at the end of the 3rd. I think he hit 5 threes in the quarter.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the NBA added the 3 point shot it took until the 8th season before a player made 96 threes in a season.

Steph Curry made 96 3's in the month of April.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steph just went nuts in the 3rd quarter. GS was down 5 at the half land is now up 20 at the end of the 3rd.

I was going to post that but instead I posted the blurb about 96 threes.

He's unreal.

Porter looks really good again, if he can stay out of trouble has a chance to be really good.