Legal Tampering period thread and Free agency 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Stout pretty much summarized my feelings, but it's not about the value. Just like I feel about Malcolm Butler and to a lesser extent AJ Green, the contracts aren't painful, but counting on them is.

Conner played in a wide open offense with 3 legitimate WRs for defenses to cover and still looked slow. It was rough. And it feels painfully obvious, again like Stout said, that if we sign him, we're out on a top RB in the first two rounds, which I feel is a mistake.

Chase is better than Conner and I think he's close to the definition of a pedestrian back.

“pedestrian” RBs don’t average 4.3 ypc for their career..... maybe in some spurts but not overal with the # of carries he has. That’s just silly....

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
“pedestrian” RBs don’t average 4.3 ypc for their career..... maybe in some spurts but not overal with the # of carries he has. That’s just silly....

Sure they do, when you average a carry for 4.3 yards twice a year, like him.

I keed, I keed!

What's silly is to suggest JC is more than a pedestrian back. It's not just injuries, and there's NO way you can discount the number of games he's missed already in his career. He doesn't perform in the big moments either. Bang average WITH injury problems.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was calling Chase Edmonds pedestrian, with his 3.12 YPC as a starter. Conner's biggest issues are injuries taking a toll. I can't blame a guy who is a cancer survivor, but that's the situation.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I keed, I keed!

What's silly is to suggest JC is more than a pedestrian back. It's not just injuries, and there's NO way you can discount the number of games he's missed already in his career. He doesn't perform in the big moments either. Bang average WITH injury problems.

Quote from a piece at USA today re: Steelers

Conner topped 100 rushing yards three times in 2020 but never got more than 20 carries in a single game all season. In those three games, Conner averaged 5.8 yards per carry and chipped in 56 more receiving yards.

Stout

Reaction score
Quote from a piece at USA today re: Steelers

Conner topped 100 rushing yards three times in 2020 but never got more than 20 carries in a single game all season. In those three games, Conner averaged 5.8 yards per carry and chipped in 56 more receiving yards.

Again, as I posted in the other place you posted this one, lone article as some kind of vindication that JC is the right signing: Who is Popejoy? Why should I buy his word (in a lukewarm at best article in defense of JC, btw) over all the respected sports journalists in Pittsburgh?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'll just hate it when JC's sidelined with a high ankle sprain for multiple games, our running game sucks, we miss the playoffs, and JC homers eat a crapload of crow. The "I told you so" will be especially bitter for me.
This reminds me of Kenyan Drake. A player no one in the world is excited about until it's rumored he's coming to the Cardinals or has joined them, and suddenly he's the new hero in Brightsiderville.

Stout

Reaction score
This reminds me of Kenyan Drake. A player no one in the world is excited about until it's rumored he's coming to the Cardinals or has joined them, and suddenly he's the new hero in Brightsiderville.

Too true. Where were all the cries to sign Conner to fix our running game prior to our rumored interest? Why did, all of a sudden when the news broke of the visit, did half the board become ardent defenders of his NFL career?

Grass ain't always greener, folks.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Right. No one panned acquiring Drake, I'm sure.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Too true. Where were all the cries to sign Conner to fix our running game prior to our rumored interest? Why did, all of a sudden when the news broke of the visit, did half the board become ardent defenders of his NFL career?

Grass ain't always greener, folks.

Find me a post where anyone says that Conner is the ANSWER?

For one, I'm still hoping for a second rd. investment at RB (Javonte Williams) and would see a Williams, Edmonds, Conner backfield as solid.

Stout

Reaction score
Find me a post where anyone says that Conner is the ANSWER?

For one, I'm still hoping for a second rd. investment at RB (Javonte Williams) and would see a Williams, Edmonds, Conner backfield as solid.

So would I. Do you really think Keim will do that, though? My big beef is he'll probably sign Conner and consider it problem solved.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I keed, I keed!

People keep going out about his "injuries". I'm pretty sure he's missed less time that David Johnson. On a per carry basis he's probably missed less time than Chase Edmonds.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I always liked Drake. I was happy to sign him.

I more meh about Conner talent wise, but for what he will cost and how he will be used he's a steal.

Stout

Reaction score
People keep going out about his "injuries". I'm pretty sure he's missed less time that David Johnson. On a per carry basis he's probably missed less time than Chase Edmonds.

Yeah, you're not going to win an injury argument with this player. Everyone and their mother is conceding his injury problems, even people that want to sign him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, you're not going to win an injury argument with this player. Everyone and their mother is conceding his injury problems, even people that want to sign him.

I'm not saying he doesn't. My point is, so do most other running backs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So would I. Do you really think Keim will do that, though? My big beef is he'll probably sign Conner and consider it problem solved.

It's going to be a 1 year deal. I don't think any GM would consider that problem solved.

On saying that I don't think they draft a high round running back. They have said they believe in Chase. To draft a RB on day 1 or 2 is saying "We don't really believe in Chase".

Much more likely they take a day 3 guy with upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose