Path to the draft....trades, rumors, etc

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cards likely have to get to #4 to get Pitts
I agree which is why I don't believe they will. IMO, the scenario to get Pitts would be if he was somehow available when Detroit picks at 7. My guess is that it would cost more than 16, a 1 and 3 to get to 4. If not, then I could see them doing it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When he did it, he was highly successful. Your argument is foolish

Why? Has any player ever in the history of the draft been drafted to play outside receiver when they only played 16% of snaps there? There's a huge difference between playing outside in the NFL and outside in college. It's hard enough for full time wide receivers to transition.

Anyone that wants an outside receiver would be much better taking Chase or one of the other top receivers in the top 10. To take Pitts with the sole idea of him playing outside would be foolish. At best you take him for what he is with some hope in the back of your mind that you will try him outside and see what happens in practice.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course nobody can. But you don't make your odds even longer that you get value for your picks by traded up for for a position of low value.

To continue the analogy. Picking normally is running across the highway with your eyes open. Traded up and giving away a 2nd and 3rd is blindfolding yourself and adding weights to your ankles.

All this is redundant anyway. There's absolutely no way Keim is trading from 16 to 7 for a TE / slot WR that isn't very good inline.
Well we can agree on that!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree which is why I don't believe they will. IMO, the scenario to get Pitts would be if he was somehow available when Detroit picks at 7. My guess is that it would cost more than 16, a 1 and 3 to get to 4. If not, then I could see them doing it.

This is the other thing. Not only is Keim never trading up to #7, Pitts is never making it to #7. I can't see the Dolphins not taking him if he's there at #6. In my opinion that's why they traded back up.

And if he's there are #7 odd's are another team could offer a better deal where the Lions didn't have to move back so far. Jerry Jones loves Pitts apparently. He fits the Eagles too who have a lot of capital to move up from #12.

Reactions: PJ1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Pitts would probably start the season in a slot role. I would guess we would run a lot of 4WR sets with Hopkins, Green, Kirk and Pitts. He has a similar athletic profile to Green and I believe his skills translate to being able to play outside like Green does. He gives effort in his blocking and can be very successful vs CBs and Ss which I imagine is the personnel defenses would match up against that 4 WR group.

He is very Isaiah Simmons like in that you have to be able to project all of the different ways you can use him and what he can grow into. I don't believe Kliff would have the hesitation to play Pitts like Vance had with Simmons.

Again, I believe this is all moot because I believe Pitts will be drafted in the top 6.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Pitts. But I think it would be foolish to give up valuable draft picks to get him. If he drops to us at 16 we take him. If he drops to 14 or 15 maybe we could work something out to trade up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He beat CBs in the SEC consistently.

So did Elijah Moore and he's projected 2nd round at best. That's not the only thing NFL teams are looking for.

Just 1 example, what routes did he run from his 16% outside snaps? Did he win them on size and speed alone or can he run a full route tree that an NFL couch would want for his playbook to work? There are a bunch of other things to consider.

You know this of course, because you know what you are talking about.

BTW, I never said Pitt's couldn't play outside. I said that I don't see anyone drafting him with that as their sole aim.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Someone posted that Pitts was #1 on the Cardinals' Board. I don't know if they see him as a TE or as a WR, but the team does.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Here's the thing though. If we are all honest he's not really a TE is he? He very rarely lined up in line for the Gators. Very rarely had blocking duties. He's not going to play with his hand in the dirt and block a rusher and he's not particularly good at run blocking. Those are two large parts of playing TE.

flex tight end, or, move tight end is a real position in the NFL.

Pitts can block, and this year it improved greatly -- its just not his strength

per Brugler: "a willing and competitive contributor as a blocker"

adding Pitts means that in 12 personnel, the offense likely still faces nickel defense

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Dudes going to be a star. Watch the tape. Lots of highly contested catches. May of this board over estimate “separation.” FFS guys, in about 6-8% of any route you run as a receiver are you actually put into a position to “beat” someone.

I’m not advocating the cards reach up and get him, but I do believe Pitts will have a productive career. For sure.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
We don’t deserve pitts anyway. We should have had his twin brother 2 years ago, but decided on candy Isabella from the lollipop guild instead.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McShay has us taking Farley and Rondale Moore with our 1st two picks.

Talk about high risk/high reward.

Moore could be what we hoped Isabella would be, but I fear part of the issue is Kyler has trouble throwing to really short wrs.

Reactions: PJ1

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
McShay has us taking Farley and Rondale Moore with our 1st two picks.

Talk about high risk/high reward.

Moore could be what we hoped Isabella would be, but I fear part of the issue is Kyler has trouble throwing to really short wrs.
He didn’t have any issues throwing it to Hollywood Brown at OU.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
NFL reporter says Washington trade into top 10 is ‘unlikely’
So as I see it, Washington has a shot here to continue building up an already promising group with its draft capital, around a suitable-for-now answer at quarterback, in Ryan Fitzpatrick. If they keep building from here, that’ll only make the situation better for whomever winds up being the long-term answer down the line.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-reporter-says-washington-trade-190640532.html