Path to the draft....trades, rumors, etc

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gambadoro was basically saying Pitts is the #1 player on our board. If Pitts falls to 7 I wouldn't be surprised to see us to trade up to the Lions spot.
A trade up makes sense for Keim and Kliff, but maybe not the team. All indications are that we have to make the playoffs this year or they'll be let go. A guy like Pitts might be that difference maker. And if he's not, then not having a one and a three in 2022, is the next regimes concern. JMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh the comp picks still retain their intrinsic value independent of the trade. If we didn’t make the trade up for Pitts and retained next years 1st and 3rd the company picks’ value wouldn’t change one iota. That particular comment makes no sense.

Of course.

But why would Keim be so keen on retaining some low round comp picks while at the same time giving away a 2nd and 3rd to move up for a TE?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would it be dumb if he turns out to be the next Kelce?

That's like saying "Would it be dumb to run across this highway with my eyes closed if I make it?"

You can only base your decisions on what you know. The odds of Pitts being the next Kelce and being worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick are extremely low.

Hockensen was supposed to be the next Kittle and his best year was 723 yards just gone. OJ Howard was going to be a star, his best year is 565 yards. Eric Ebron, best year 750.

All these guys were going to be the next star TE and they are good players but not worth the high first round picks they cost.

The reason none of them are the next Kelce or Kittle is because those guys are center pieces of their offense. Very few tight ends get to be the center piece and certainly not in Kliff's scheme.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's like saying "Would it be dumb to run across this highway with my eyes closed if I make it?"

You can only base your decisions on what you know. The odds of Pitts being the next Kelce and being worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick are extremely low.

Hockensen was supposed to be the next Kittle and his best year was 723 yards just gone. OJ Howard was going to be a star, his best year is 565 yards. Eric Ebron, best year 750.

All these guys were going to be the next star TE and they are good players but not worth the high first round picks they cost.

The reason none of them are the next Kelce or Kittle is because those guys are center pieces of their offense. Very few tight ends get to be the center piece and certainly not in Kliff's scheme.
There ain’t one player in this draft that you or anyone can gaurantee will be a superstar. Not the first pick. Or the the third or the tenth. You can look back at drafts and find the 22nd player selected turned out to be the best player drafted that year.
If a GM picks safe and fails well he’s blasted for not going after the ceiling player. If he goes with potential ceiling he’ll get blasted for not going safe.
I don’t care if you take a te, rb, Wr, or safety. If that player turns out to be the best player drafted that year nobody is going to look back and say “ Gee, they should have taken the other guy instead”.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Of course.

But why would Keim be so keen on retaining some low round comp picks while at the same time giving away a 2nd and 3rd to move up for a TE?
Bc he views the values differently and distinct from one and other. He thinks Pitts is worth all that capital (doesn’t mean he doesn’t value the picks, as you seem to be suggesting, just that he places that much value on Pitts) and still values getting later round picks.

It’s like say why would ouchie want to preserve $100 when he just spent $2,500 on a new tv? Well, I thought the tv was worth $2,500 but I still value the $100 as $100.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Of course.

its BECAUSE he knows he might be burning the other picks in a trade up

to trade up to #7 or wherever, give up the draft capital required and take a TE

that would be an even riskier decision than ditching Rosen and taking Murray

it he did it and Pitts turns out to be a faster Tony Gonzalez --- he is genius

if Pitts turns out to be a marginally better Evan Engram --- nail in his coffin

and, that move would spawn about a 200 page thread on this board

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyle Pitts has basically the same height, weight, and speed as Calvin Johnson. The Cardinals very well could see him as a WR.

They can see him as what they want but do you really want to take a WR in the top 10 that's been running TE routes in college?

You want to roll the dice on a top 10 pick for a guy that never played outside or gone up against CB1's consistently?

Reactions: PJ1

football karma

Reaction score
Pitts is the #2 player on Dane Bruglers board for the Athletic. Yes ahead of Chase

i can hear Keim in my head in the post pick presser

"he was far and away the best non-Qb player on the board. I have always said we will be aggressive in pursuing players that we think are special....."

football karma

Reaction score
They can see him as what they want but do you really want to take a WR in the top 10 that's been running TE routes in college?
if you take him, you dont move him

he stays as the flex tight end

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There ain’t one player in this draft that you or anyone can gaurantee will be a superstar. Not the first pick. Or the the third or the tenth. You can look back at drafts and find the 22nd player selected turned out to be the best player drafted that year.
If a GM picks safe and fails well he’s blasted for not going after the ceiling player. If he goes with potential ceiling he’ll get blasted for not going safe.
I don’t care if you take a te, rb, Wr, or safety. If that player turns out to be the best player drafted that year nobody is going to look back and say “ Gee, they should have taken the other guy instead”.

Of course nobody can. But you don't make your odds even longer that you get value for your picks by traded up for for a position of low value.

To continue the analogy. Picking normally is running across the highway with your eyes open. Traded up and giving away a 2nd and 3rd is blindfolding yourself and adding weights to your ankles.

All this is redundant anyway. There's absolutely no way Keim is trading from 16 to 7 for a TE / slot WR that isn't very good inline.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if you take him, you dont move him

he stays as the flex tight end

Here's the thing though. If we are all honest he's not really a TE is he? He very rarely lined up in line for the Gators. Very rarely had blocking duties. He's not going to play with his hand in the dirt and block a rusher and he's not particularly good at run blocking. Those are two large parts of playing TE.

He wore the TE tag in college because he was tall and heavy compared to most WR's. He is, if we are honest, a big slot. That's where he did a lot of his work from. He did line up Inline the most but ran slot type routes from there, he wasn't blocking much.

That's not to say he isn't great, and can't learn those things he's missing, but he's much, much more scheme specific that any other TE in recently history. You can't just drop him into any scheme to play TE and say "Off you go" like you could with say Freiermuth.

He needs to be used in a very specific way which is basically a slot WR that's a better run blocker than any other slot WR due to the fact he's not 5'9" and 180lbs.

Again, that's not to say he isn't worth a top 10 pick. I personally am not one of these guys that values slot receivers less than outside receivers. You get the yards I don't care where you line up. But nevertheless he's called a TE based on his size, not on his skillset, which is something you have to work around.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I mean here is he outside and triple teamed including Surtain and beats them all for the TD

You simply don't understand the player if you are calling him an inline TE or slot receiver

He lined up 16% outside. His least used alignment.