Booker Question

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Last year he was but before that he’s been productive.
I suppose that depends on how you define productive. Percentage wise:

Regular season: .436/.385/.848
Postseason: .419/.356/.819
Diffence: -.017/-.029/-.029

Not aggregious, but a decent dip in production. Compare that to his teammate Kawhii:

Difference: +.011/+.016/-.018

Or compare him to someone who famously struggled in playoffs, Shawn Marion:

Difference: -.028/-.013/+.004

In comparison, he doesn't look great. Obviously, percentages aren't everything, but they do tend to portray a picture of a guy who slightly wilts in the playoffs.

Also, I don't believe he's ever hit a game winner in the playoffs. He was of course famous for being 0-14 in regular season game winning shots before the commercial about him being great at game winning shots. Then he broke the funk.

(I'm not bagging on him. Actually I like him. I'd take him anyday on my team.)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Not aggregious, but a decent dip in production. Compare that to his teammate Kawhii:

In comparison, he doesn't look great. Obviously, percentages aren't everything, but they do tend to portray a picture of a guy who slightly wilts in the playoffs.

Also, I don't believe he's ever hit a game winner in the playoffs. He was of course famous for being 0-14 in regular season game winning shots before the commercial about him being great at game winning shots. Then he broke the funk.

So closer to productive than “terrible”... I remember him breaking out for Indiana those years then he broke his leg and played 8 mpg the next year after they went to the ECF’s. He was really good two years vs Portland but I remember Westbrook shooting them out of it.

Last year he was abysmal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just curious, did you pull those numbers for Marion from his whole career or just his time as a Sun? He seemed to get better after leaving the Suns because he wasn't relied on as much.

Edit - found the answer, as a Sun it was different for Marion.
-.018, +.004, -.013 is what I found.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

man... I was the president of the Shawn “The Tortilla” Marion bash club, but are those numbers right?

nevermind... I was reading those wrong. Makes sense.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i like that Booker added something new to his game with those too neat bounce passes and a smile -- the latter being most beneficial. they're winning. they need to enjoy the ride and have some fun this season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like that Booker added something new to his game with those too neat bounce passes and a smile -- the latter being most beneficial. they're winning. they need to enjoy the ride and have some fun this season

That one bounce pass by Booker to catch Bridges streaking for the basket in stride was amazing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were both works of art. I think I enjoyed the first one the most.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was more impressed with the second because I thought he made the pass left handed. But it was a righty feed. Still, the angle was a little tougher on the second one I think.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was more impressive was the catch. One was really low but to be able to catch that low and still go up without dribbling, and to finish with a score is better. Bridges just make somethings look easy with his long limbs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What was more impressive was the catch. One was really low but to be able to catch that low and still go up without dribbling, and to finish with a score is better. Bridges just make somethings look easy with his long limbs.
He’s the new plasticman

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't remember the second one very well but I thought the first one set up perfectly for Bridges.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the Suns are the talk of the league

it looks like they're ready to make their move this season, especially after blowing by excellent defense from last year's Eastern Conference champions last night-- with little help from their 2 stars.

and finally, it looks like Ayton is ready to be a significant factor in the middle

but for me, the "Booker Question" remains -- is he ready?

i've been focusing on him because he's got the hardest part down -- the skills of an All-Star. but we need him to get his head game together for us to compete for a championship. after a particularly sharp game prior, i don't know what he was thinking in the 3rd, last night. awful shot selection and then that odd foul that got him benched

i never had any concern about the on-court leadership of KJ, Barkley, Kidd, and Nash. imo, even Marbury was a reliably consistent leader. i know Booker is still young, but damn, we need him to get it together now. i guess that's why we got Chris Paul. but it will surely take both to be in top form for us to win more than one round in the playoffs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the Suns are the talk of the league

it looks like they're ready to make their move this season, especially after blowing by excellent defense from last year's Eastern Conference champions last night-- with little help from their 2 stars.

and finally, it looks like Ayton is ready to be a significant factor in the middle

but for me, the "Booker Question" remains -- is he ready?

i've been focusing on him because he's got the hardest part down -- the skills of an All-Star. but we need him to get his head game together for us to compete for a championship. after a particularly sharp game prior, i don't know what he was thinking in the 3rd, last night. awful shot selection and then that odd foul that got him benched

i never had any concern about the on-court leadership of KJ, Barkley, Kidd, and Nash. imo, even Marbury was a reliably consistent leader. i know Booker is still young, but damn, we need him to get it together now. i guess that's why we got Chris Paul. but it will surely take both to be in top form for us to win more than one round in the playoffs.
I do not know if I have ever seen a young Suns player more ready. His confidence level is really high, and he has the skill set to match it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know if I have ever seen a young Suns player more ready. His confidence level is really high, and he has the skill set to match it.

We all saw it him elevate his game in the bubble last year, which is as close to playoffs as he's been. The Suns were in a win or go home situation in every single game and Book delivered each outing. I still think he was robbed of MVP of the bubble but that's well behind us now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

KJ was far more ready the second he stepped on the court in the playoffs. I think people forget how awesome KJ was the second he stepped on the court for us as the unquestioned starter in 1988. At the age of just 22, KJ was the unquestioned leader of a Suns team that won 55 games and got the 3 seed in the West. We waxed the Nuggets in the first round in a 4-0 sweep. Then won the next round in 5. He raised his scoring and assists from 20/12 to 24/12 in his first year in the playoffs, carrying us to the WCF where the Lakers took us down.

again, at the age of 22. The fact that he was the ring-leader of that 55 win team alone puts him above Book as far as being ready for the playoffs. The fact that he only elevated his game and took us three rounds once he got there, cemented it.

I don't remember having any trepidation going into those playoffs or even thinking our inexperience could really hurt us... until we played the Lakers in the WCF. Every game of that series was close and the Lakers just knew how to make plays down the stretch. Even though we lost 4-0, we played them tight... just didn't have the know-how to close those games. I do have some of that trepidation with this club, mostly because Bridges can literally fall off the face of the Earth in games, Ayton can still go space cadet and even though Book is great, he's still not the smartest player and he can get frustrated, end up with a rash of turnovers and taken out of his game on occasion with physical play.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KJ was far more ready the second he stepped on the court in the playoffs. I think people forget how awesome KJ was the second he stepped on the court for us as the unquestioned starter in 1988. At the age of just 22, KJ was the unquestioned leader of a Suns team that won 55 games and got the 3 seed in the West. We waxed the Nuggets in the first round in a 4-0 sweep. Then won the next round in 5. He raised his scoring and assists from 20/12 to 24/12 in his first year in the playoffs, carrying us to the WCF where the Lakers took us down.

again, at the age of 22. The fact that he was the ring-leader of that 55 win team alone puts him above Book as far as being ready for the playoffs. The fact that he only elevated his game and took us three rounds once he got there, cemented it.

I don't remember having any trepidation going into those playoffs or even thinking our inexperience could really hurt us... until we played the Lakers in the WCF. Every game of that series was close and the Lakers just knew how to make plays down the stretch. Even though we lost 4-0, we played them tight... just didn't have the know-how to close those games. I do have some of that trepidation with this club, mostly because Bridges can literally fall off the face of the Earth in games, Ayton can still go space cadet and even though Book is great, he's still not the smartest player and he can get frustrated, end up with a rash of turnovers and taken out of his game on occasion with physical play.
Ok. But do you think Book is ready or not?

btw. It is now such a different league. Kj would get so beat up and manhandled in the playoffs. He would be an even better player in today’s NBA. Not making any point, just an observation.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay when you complain about poor shot selection and then prop up Marbury in the next breath...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And in no way would I ever consider Barkley, a notorious partier during the season, remotely a leader. Was he an amazing player, yes.

A leader? No way.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And in no way would I ever consider Barkley, a notorious partier during the season, remotely a leader. Was he an amazing player, yes.

A leader? No way.

Somewhat disagree. Maybe not in the traditional sense. However, I have seen interview after interview that the way he played on the court pushed other players to be better and his completeness raised the level of others on the team. We definitely witnesses that with the Suns.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

A leader? No way.
I'm curious who you think was the leader of that team? KJ is my favorite all time player, but I never really felt that he was the bonafide leader of any team he was on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA