Legal Tampering period thread and Free agency 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a difference between flukey injuries and guys that have nagging injuries and recurring issues with the same injuries.

Watt has had multiple injuries in the same spot, like his back, and has had muscle tears in different areas all over his body, showing he is prone to them. Green has dealt with foot/toe/ankle ligament damage for multiple years, even before sitting out 2019. Both players have a 91% chance of reinjury. It's not like they had an awkward fall or got blindsided. You can have a reasonable predictor of injury especially as guys age and wear down.

I spent the whole offseason last year arguing against extending Hump largely due to his frequent lower leg injuries. Then he had a career year, played the last 32 games and nobody can shut up about it.

In 4 years with Philly Hicks missed every alternate season with major injuries but played all 32 games since he came here.

Alford never had any season ending injuries nor missed major time before coming here but has missed 2 straight seasons.

The truth is, there is rarely such a thing as truly injury prone. Marcus Gilbert is about as close as you get, his whole career has been injury hit, but otherwise it's really just pot luck.

Watt may or may not get injured. But there's no foretelling it. It's a very violent game and crap happens.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent the whole offseason last year arguing against extending Hump largely due to his frequent lower leg injuries. Then he had a career year, played the last 32 games and nobody can shut up about it.

In 4 years with Philly Hicks missed every alternate season with major injuries but played all 32 games since he came here.

Alford never had any season ending injuries nor missed major time since coming here but has missed 2 straight seasons.

The truth is, there is rarely such a thing as truly injury prone. Marcus Gilbert is about as close as you get, his whole career has been injury hit, but otherwise it's really just pot luck.

Watt may or may not get injured. But there's no foretelling it. It's a very violent game and crap happens.

Good post

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
lol... outside of being injury prone Connor isn’t THAT bad.... His YPC and nose for end zone speak for itself.
2019 was brutal to watch from him. He had a slight improvement in 2020, but there's no excuse for why he was so mediocre with that group of receivers to cover. He's the best of the bad that's out there, but he's not an answer in my book.

Alford never had any season ending injuries nor missed major time since coming here but has missed 2 straight seasons.

The guys you're mentioning didn't join our team at 32. Being 32 alone is enough of a reason to anticipate a drop off, much less the new additions missing significant amounts of time in the past three years. Pardon me if I don't want to add more old and injured guys hoping it works out.

And Hicks is your next example? Is anyone hyped about Hicks' performance as a Card?

Yes, there really is a such thing as injury prone. It's statistically true.

Look, someone did the work for me: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/what-does-injury-prone-mean-nfl

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Connor is not flashy but can get the tough yards and can share carries with Edmonds, plus he is an adequate receiver out of the back field
Then he is a good guy who fought a bad desease, so I can see Michael Bidwill and the organization being interested

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Alford never had any season ending injuries nor missed major time before coming here but has missed 2 straight seasons.

Agreed, this is a solid post. I was about to say, "Oh yes there is," until you admitted to Marcus Gilbert :)

Stout

Reaction score
2019 was brutal to watch from him. He had a slight improvement in 2020, but there's no excuse for why he was so mediocre with that group of receivers to cover. He's the best of the bad that's out there, but he's not an answer in my book.

The guys you're mentioning didn't join our team at 32. Being 32 alone is enough of a reason to anticipate a drop off, much less the new additions missing significant amounts of time in the past three years. Pardon me if I don't want to add more old and injured guys hoping it works out.

And Hicks is your next example? Is anyone hyped about Hicks' performance as a Card?

Yes, there really is a such thing as injury prone. It's statistically true.

Look, someone did the work for me: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/what-does-injury-prone-mean-nfl

The age factor is a good touche counter post.

Stout

Reaction score
Connor is not flashy but can get the tough yards and can share carries with Edmonds, plus he is an adequate receiver out of the back field
Then he is a good guy who fought a bad desease, so I can see Michael Bidwill and the organization being interested

:barf:

Talk about injury prone and a player that doesn't elevate anything. As a Pittsburgher, I want no part of counting on Connor.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed, this is a solid post. I was about to say, "Oh yes there is," until you admitted to Marcus Gilbert :)

There defo is injury prone guys but it gets used far more often than it should.

Even then you can't be sure. I would have bet my house against Hump ever playing 2 full seasons after his first 3 starting.

And while age can be a factor it's not a hard rule. Hicks and Hump suffered far more injuries on their rookie deals than they have since.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:barf:

Talk about injury prone and a player that doesn't elevate anything. As a Pittsburgher, I want no part of counting on Connor.

I'm ok with Connor for our intended usage. He won't get he load he had with the Steelers and offers an alternate skill set to Edmonds. But only for cheap sub $2m price tag.

On saying that I think you can get exactly the same from Wayne Gallman without the injury history for even less.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would like Clowney or Fisher more than Conner if I had to do a deal with the "rest" but Fisher is a LT and we have one and I don't know if he could play well at RT. Clowney on the other hand had his best seasons with JJ Watt ... so having Watt & Chandler could help him get some sacks and with that he can get a massive deal somewhere else next year but he would really help us to stop the run which is crucial in our division.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There defo is injury prone guys but it gets used far more often than it should.

Even then you can't be sure. I would have bet my house against Hump ever playing 2 full seasons after his first 3 starting.

And while age can be a factor it's not a hard rule. Hicks and Hump suffered far more injuries on their rookie deals than they have since.
Yeah but neither of them have hit 30 yet. They aren’t “old,” or even in the twilight of their careers, by football standards.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm ok with Connor for our intended usage. He won't get he load he had with the Steelers and offers an alternate skill set to Edmonds. But only for cheap sub $2m price tag.

On saying that I think you can get exactly the same from Wayne Gallman without the injury history for even less.
Steelers couldn’t run the ball at all. Their o-line was terrible. However, signing Connors would make him the go to guy if Edmonds got hurt.
I think Harris is a viable option but if we go running back Keim will take Entiene. He would be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave