Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$300 to have some peace watching it is nothing. I have about 30k into my home theater so that I have a great movie experience alone. And that's not counting the hours and hours of my labor building custom equipment and software for it. Yes, I'm nuts. :D

Thanks for saving me the comment...... :D ;)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really nice to have. I can't wait until I buy my next house and can completely do a custom room. I'm renting right now so I'm limited with making house mods. It spoils you though. Going to the theater feels like a downgrade now when it comes to the sound system. No theater can match the TR I get from UFL. For a movie like this it's great because I'll feel all of the punches and fighting. I also really miss the old auditorium theaters and never really vibed on the stadium seating. I'd love to have one like the old Cine Capri (24th and Camelback one) back but with a modern sound system.

Just curious, what are the room and screen dimensions?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Just curious, what are the room and screen dimensions?

That's where I'm not quite where I'd like to be. Only 85" display. The room I have for it now is 12'x17' but I'm forced to have it on one of the 17' walls which limit's the screen size. I wish I could go in the other direction. I have the seating though so that you have a 45° field of view which puts it hitting imax specs. (reg. theaters are usually around 30-45° depending on seats, imax spec calls for 45-55°)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's where I'm not quite where I'd like to be. Only 85" display. The room I have for it now is 12'x17' but I'm forced to have it on one of the 17' walls which limit's the screen size. I wish I could go in the other direction. I have the seating though so that you have a 45° field of view which puts it hitting imax specs. (reg. theaters are usually around 30-45° depending on seats, imax spec calls for 45-55°)

That is awesome!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
That is awesome!

You should hear and feel it. It's a full 13 channel Atmos setup (7 surround and 6 hight speakers) and I'm a nut when it comes to bass. 24" sub with anther 4 15" subs at the back of the couch for bass that you can hear. Then the couch is a platform that's suspended by inner tubes with 12 12" subs in it. 12" ones are free air so they don't make sound they cause the platform and couch to shake from the bass frequencies you can't hear (< 20 Hz).

So say the race scene in Ready Player 1. When King Kong attacks (had to tie it to this thread ;) you feel his chest beats, every time he lands, when he smashes the road, etc. It's a really cool effect. A friend of mine that used to come over to watch the new Game of Thrones episodes always said it felt like she was flying with the dragons.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I enjoyed the film more than the last 2 Godzilla films and Skull Island. I was hesitant because of how they showed Kong communicating with the kid in the trailer and thought they might go the Predator route and ruin it with that but it wasn't distracting and made sense within the plot.

This was the first thing I've watched in 4K that made me really appreciate having a 4K TV. The first 5 minutes is gorgeous.

Not happy with how Godzilla wrecks Kong not once but twice but eh, its all good.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I've only seen it twice... in the last 24 hours (theater and home). I'll probably watch the final battle scene 20 more times this month.

Saw it with my whole family. We all loved it and thought it was the best of the 4 films. Delivers on exactly what you'd expect. I thought the director did a great job of exceeding my already high expectations.

They did an awesome job of humanizing Kong through Jia. Didn't see that coming. The humans were FAR more involved in this one than the prior movies combined (both good and bad). Bryan Tyree Henry stole a couple of scenes. That guy is talented.

Left the door wide open for more movies. Gimme more please.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I haven't watched it yet. I've been deciding on if I should wait for the UHD of it due to the audio. The waveform on the streaming track looks really bad. They compressed the hell out of it. I've heard from a bunch of guys who's opinions that I usually trust that it resulted in really low levels and wasn't dynamic.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't watched it yet. I've been deciding on if I should wait for the UHD of it due to the audio. The waveform on the streaming track looks really bad. They compressed the hell out of it. I've heard from a bunch of guys who's opinions that I usually trust that it resulted in really low levels and wasn't dynamic.

Our basic audio from streaming was really bad. Especially the levels of dialogue. Not that that really matters too much in a movie like this, but it was annoying.

As for the movie, about 30 mins in my wife said “Are we supposed to know what’s going on? They just keep jumping from place to place with no explanation or cohesion” I agreed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Super disappointed. This is pretty much a King Kong movie.

way to much human stuff with the girl and the two guys. I actually enjoyed the little girl and her relationship with Kong

the fights however are by far the best so far in the whole monster verse.

I would of loved this movie more if there was less human stuff and the thing at the end was in the movie more

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Our basic audio from streaming was really bad. Especially the levels of dialogue. Not that that really matters too much in a movie like this, but it was annoying.

That pretty much matches what I heard over on an AV forum that I'm a regular on. We have a project for maximizing LFE in movies so graphs of almost everything are posted. This one was so compressed that they literally used only about 8-bit in a 24-bit track. The entire track is also about 6 dB quieter than most movies which is a huge difference.

On the plus side, I was at the dog park last night and the 9yr old girl that's with one of the dogs that my pup loves to play with said she saw it and the theater and loved it. I got an complete breakdown of cool it was. :)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alright just rewatched it at home and found it to be much better than the first time. Maybe my expectations were just to high

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all those who didn’t like it or were disappointed... what were you expecting?

it’s a smash at the box office right now compared to any other movie they’ve tried to drop in the theaters in the last year... which is GREAT. I truly fear the death of the movie going experience but maybe the pandemic and taking away the theater experience will be the thing that draws people back in droves... at least for a while.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For all those who didn’t like it or were disappointed... what were you expecting?

I'm curious about that also. It was better than I expected as far as how good the CGI was. The fights were epic as well. I wasnt happy with which monster came out on top but ill give the crew credit for delivering a decisive winner like they said they would. This delivered what it sold itself as perfectly, IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it was okay. Entertaining for sure. But . . .
I think they humanized both Godzilla and kong too much. And I kind of hated hollow earth and kong getting an axe and there being a thrown, etc. I also hated mega-Godzilla. It seemed like it was squeezed in just let Godzilla and Kong end as buddies.

that said, I always believed Godzilla would win that fight. The nuclear breathe is an unfair advantage and he always seemed like he was much bigger than Kong.

Anyone have an estimate how many humans would have been killed with all those ships and buildings going down?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

it’s a smash at the box office right now compared to any other movie they’ve tried to drop in the theaters in the last year... which is GREAT. I truly fear the death of the movie going experience but maybe the pandemic and taking away the theater experience will be the thing that draws people back in droves... at least for a while.
I expected more monster fighting. 75% human nonsense vs 25% monster fighting does not a good Godzilla vs. Kong movie make. The final battle had barely any buildup and the human villains were absolutely terrible.

There was a good 15 minutes towards the end when I though I was watching the end of Man of Steel again. And the lead was supposed to be a disgraced professor, not a calm and collected action hero who just happens to be able to pilot extremely experimental aircraft.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think they humanized both Godzilla and kong too much. And I kind of hated hollow earth and kong getting an axe and there being a thrown, etc. I also hated mega-Godzilla. It seemed like it was squeezed in just let Godzilla and Kong end as buddies.

that said, I always believed Godzilla would win that fight. The nuclear breathe is an unfair advantage and he always seemed like he was much bigger than Kong.

Anyone have an estimate how many humans would have been killed with all those ships and buildings going down?
In Hong Kong? Hundreds of thousands. Easy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mecha not Mega

Kong and Godzilla have always been humanized in films. This isn’t new at all

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mecha not Mega

Kong and Godzilla have always been humanized in films. This isn’t new at all
Kong, sure, especially in this movie. But Godzilla? This was a waste of the Godzilla character, such as it is.

The only "ally" Godzilla had was Eleven, who actually did absolutely nothing this entire movie. The only thing any of that group of 3 did was spill water on the console to <snicker> malfunction Mechagodzilla. Other than that there was NO reason for them to be in the movie whatsoever.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it in Imax. I liked it, really enjoyed it. Given what I'd read online I was expecting way too much human stuff. I wasn't really put out by it. Further, I find Millie Bobby Brown always something special even though she wasn't given much to work with.

It was more a Kong movie with special guest Godzilla. I was rooting for him, but it's hard to overcome atomic breath. It was a fun summer movie and I this bodes well for theater going.