Cardinals : AJ green signed

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And the kool-aid camp just can't concede that signing an old, very recently broken, and hasn't played well in quite a while WR when we needed speed and youth at the position is by far not a lock, certainty, or even strong likelihood for success. Like, why should ANYONE not LURVE that signing?

Because it's $6m for a 7x Pro Bowl, 3x 2nd team All pro wide receiver.

$6m is what you pay for average WR3's.

People acting like we paid $15m.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
AJ Green's 2020 stats:
47/523/11.1 avg / 2 td

Fitz' 2020:
54/409/7.6 avg / 1 td

at a minimum, the team upgraded the "reliable vet who will make tough catches" slot in the WR core

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the kool-aid camp just can't concede that signing an old, very recently broken, and hasn't played well in quite a while WR when we needed speed and youth at the position is by far not a lock, certainty, or even strong likelihood for success. Like, why should ANYONE not LURVE that signing?

the signing is a minimal contract. Anyone crying over the 6 million for green is laughable. If it balloons to to 8 then he was clearly worth it.... lol

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The amount doesn’t bother me. The signing negating the signing of a younger faster receiver does.

The signing for itself doesn't preclude drafting a fast guy , he got 1 year deal and Kirk is in his contract year, just the lack of picks and holes in the roster can prevent us from drafting a quality young receiver, and that hasn't nothing to do with aj green

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
while Green wasnt my first (or second, or third....) choice -- the benefits of this:

1. high character guy who will do things the right way, work hard, good locker room, etc --
2. A vet who will recognize the coverage and be where he is supposed to be, on time. important with a young QB
3. Size on the outside they need
4. Excellent hands / can make the tough catches
5. The three other teams in the division play lots of zone. his experience and size help here
6. Kirk and Isabella now are exclusively in the slot. I think this really benefits Kirk
How does he compare to Fitz?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Because it's $6m for a 7x Pro Bowl, 3x 2nd team All pro wide receiver.

$6m is what you pay for average WR3's.

People acting like we paid $15m.

Absolutely meaningless. Pro bowls, all pro, blah, blah, in the past. The past is not necessarily an indicator of the future, ESPECIALLY with so old a player that hasn't been good for a while.

Great, so we paid low money and STILL didn't fill the GLARING WR need for speed and youth. Green brings neither. So we didn't pay a lot for the type of player we didn't need. Whoopdie do!

The amount doesn’t bother me. The signing negating the signing of a younger faster receiver does.

THANK YOU! We needed youth and speed. We got AJ Green instead. So we'll have the same deficiencies at the position as last season. Unless Keim pulls off a miracle and drafts a talented young receiver that fits the mold. Does anyone at all have faith that'll happen? No? Great, so we're boned. AGAIN.

There was no guy who is even remotely as accomplished as AJ that you would get for that kind of coin.

Nelson Agholar got 13 mil!

Who cares about the money? Is AJ Green young, a speedy burner receiver, either or both? No. So it's a dumb deal.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely meaningless. Pro bowls, all pro, blah, blah, in the past. The past is not necessarily an indicator of the future, ESPECIALLY with so old a player that hasn't been good for a while.

Great, so we paid low money and STILL didn't fill the GLARING WR need for speed and youth. Green brings neither. So we didn't pay a lot for the type of player we didn't need. Whoopdie do!

THANK YOU! We needed youth and speed. We got AJ Green instead. So we'll have the same deficiencies at the position as last season. Unless Keim pulls off a miracle and drafts a talented young receiver that fits the mold. Does anyone at all have faith that'll happen? No? Great, so we're boned. AGAIN.

Who cares about the money? Is AJ Green young, a speedy burner receiver, either or both? No. So it's a dumb deal.

You speak so definitively about this. If Green even remotely has a good season, you'll be eating a lot of crow.

My bar is good starting WR, which he most likely will be.

For $6 mil, you're getting a guy who gets 30-40 catches usually.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Keim mentioned that team has 38 of his targets charted as uncatchable last year. Guess Bengals qb's where just chucking it up to survive with lack of protection from that oline

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The signing for itself doesn't preclude drafting a fast guy , he got 1 year deal and Kirk is in his contract year, just the lack of picks and holes in the roster can prevent us from drafting a quality young receiver, and that hasn't nothing to do with aj green
I said “signing” not drafting. Relying on keim “I don’t understand how to evaluate collegiate wrs” to draft a good one . . . again, after four failed attempts . . . is idiocy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There was no guy who is even remotely as accomplished as AJ that you would get for that kind of coin.

Nelson Agholar got 13 mil!
Btw, Lynn swann is more “accomplished” than AJ Green. Should we sign him too?

as with all investments, past performance is not an indicator of future performance with old, oft-injured, washed up wrs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm ambivalent about Green. I see the potential upside, I see the potential downside, the contract doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the lack of youth, as others have mentioned. In 2022, we'll be right back to square one looking for another weapon for Kyler, and will have a litany of other needs alongside that. And the scary part to that is that if Green has a good year, we could potentially sign him again and just get closer and closer to being that team that let it ride too long.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You speak so definitively about this. If Green even remotely has a good season, you'll be eating a lot of crow.

My bar is good starting WR, which he most likely will be.

For $6 mil, you're getting a guy who gets 30-40 catches usually.
Know why we can’t operate at peak offense? No one to stretch the field. Easier to limit running game with zero threat downfield. We are just as slow today as we were last season with this signing.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, Lynn swann is more “accomplished” than AJ Green. Should we sign him too?

as with all investments, past performance is not an indicator of future performance with old, oft-injured, washed up wrs.

The only way in which Lynn Swann is more accomplished is Super Bowls... lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The only way in which Lynn Swann is more accomplished is Super Bowls... lol
Super Bowls and HOF. I’d say those are two mighty big accomplishments. But screw it, I guess we should try to sign jerry rice. He’s WAAAAY more accomplished than AJ Green.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm ambivalent about Green. I see the potential upside, I see the potential downside, the contract doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the lack of youth, as others have mentioned. In 2022, we'll be right back to square one looking for another weapon for Kyler, and will have a litany of other needs alongside that. And the scary part to that is that if Green has a good year, we could potentially sign him again and just get closer and closer to being that team that let it ride too long.
It is this for the entire roster for me. By themselves, all these moves are fine. As a collection along with the players we have on our roster is where I see the problem. That said, the concept of a veteran heavy roster with a young QB is not a bad one. However, the lack of draft success makes me believe the roster will be bare again sooner rather than later.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is this for the entire roster for me. By themselves, all these moves are fine. As a collection along with the players we have on our roster is where I see the problem. That said, the concept of a veteran heavy roster with a young QB is not a bad one. However, the lack of draft success makes me believe the roster will be bare again sooner rather than later.
Exactly we are like two years, or just one if all the old players suck or are injured, from rinse and repeat of this offseason. That’s a recipe for disaster.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think Keim mentioned that team has 38 of his targets charted as uncatchable last year. Guess Bengals qb's where just chucking it up to survive with lack of protection from that oline

It’s tough to know for sure considering he couldn’t separate.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I get the roster is aging and everyone is complaining. But what young guys were out there that were sure things to make this roster better?

my answer would’ve been Bud Dupree but he’s coming off an injury and people in here thought Reddick was better.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I get the roster is aging and everyone is complaining. But what young guys were out there that were sure things to make this roster better?

my answer would’ve been Bud Dupree but he’s coming off an injury and people in here thought Reddick was better.

Strictly trying to play this with similarly priced moves we could have made vs. need/openings:
WR - Will Fuller, JuJu Smith-Schuster
CB - William Jackson III
TE - Hunter Henry

I dunno, just some examples. Skip the Watt signing, and we could have even more premium young players at those other positions.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Strictly trying to play this with similarly priced moves we could have made vs. need/openings:
WR - Will Fuller, JuJu Smith-Schuster
CB - William Jackson III
TE - Hunter Henry

I dunno, just some examples. Skip the Watt signing, and we could have even more premium young players at those other positions.
Juju signed for $8mil, Green’s max. He also returned to Pitts. I doubt he moves for the same money. Fuller’s top year was 880 yds and he got $10 mil. I believe Jackson got $26 mil guaranteed. Those aren’t similar prices.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Juju signed for $8mil, Green’s max. He also returned to Pitts. I doubt he moves for the same money. Fuller’s top year was 880 yds and he got $10 mil. I believe Jackson got $26 mil guaranteed. Those aren’t similar prices.
JuJu began free agency by saying he didn't want to return to the Steelers, so I don't know exactly what it would have taken, but same as Fuller, in terms of cost, that's not much more than the potential $8 million.

I will give you a mea culpa on William Jackson - I meant to call out that move in lieu of signing Watt, but I didn't say it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose