JJ Watt signs with AZ

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep moving the goalpost?!

It's exactly what I've been saying all along.

So paying JJ Watt $14m+ a year to play EDGE which is where he plays most of his snaps doesn't effect Reddick in any way? Sure.

If you think they are paying him that money to play inside full time I have a bridge you can buy.

Call it EDGE as many times as you want but it's D-end in a 3-4 and Hasson in an outside linebacker.

Why this is confusing to you is beyond me.

And JJ's cap hit in 2021 is $4.9M

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Call it EDGE as many times as you want but it's D-end in a 3-4 and Hasson in an outside linebacker.

Why this is confusing to you is beyond me.

And JJ's cap hit in 2021 is $4.9M

The only person it's confusing is you, seeing as that's exactly what I have said several times.

"Since 2015 Watts has played the vast, vast majority of his snaps at Edge. He will sometimes move inside on 1st down in a 2 man front and play LDE."

"702 snaps as the left edge defender, 90 snaps at left end in a 3 man front"

"At the very best if Watt plays DE on 1st down as he tended to do at Texas then Reddick might get outside snaps on first down only in Base."

"Watt played 84% of snaps at Edge last year. As he has done throughout most of his career. He plays inside at DE on 1st down only"

I'm not sure what part of him playing DE on 1st down and EDGE on all other down's escaped you the several times I've said it.

So as you say above "it's D-end in a 3-4 and Hasson in an outside linebacker". Which as I said before is exactly what Brennan Scarlett did for the Texans and even with snaps at off ball linebacker he still only played 51% of snaps.

So we're going to pay Reddick $12m+ to play 50% of snaps? Less really, as he won't get Scarlett's off ball snaps.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No way I see this happening. Firstly Watt prefers playing off the left side. He's played by far the most snaps there. He isn't lining up next to CJ full time.

Second, they didn't pay Watt $28m to play a very specific role inside when they don't have and may not ever have Reddick signed to play outside.

Last but not least, I don't see them making a splash signing like this to say to the guy "Go do this different role you rarely do full time". They are paying him to do what he has always done and that's play LDE in base and sub packages.

Every person here would be all over Keim and Joseph if they played Watt inside like this and and he went the first couple of the games of the season without a sack.

I don't want to get into an argument over it, neither of us know. But I'd be shocked. Let's wait and see.
You are so extra sometimes. I guess we will see. In your scenario we would still need a rotational DT as only Phillips really has shown pass rush ability from inside and then multiple 45% snap OLBs but ones also good enough to fill in for Chandler Jones if he got injured again.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are so extra sometimes. I guess we will see. In your scenario we would still need a rotational DT as only Phillips really has shown pass rush ability from inside and then multiple 45% snap OLBs but ones also good enough to fill in for Chandler Jones if he got injured again.

We have DT's coming out our ears. The have Allen, they have Lawrence. They may well resign Peters. Fotu can play there, Blackson may come back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We have DT's coming out our ears. The have Allen, they have Lawrence. They may well resign Peters. Fotu can play there, Blackson may come back.
I feel like you are missing the nuance of being able to push the pocket and rush the passer from the inside. Very few DL are able to do that. We only have one who has ever shown to have a plus ability to do so. That is Phillips. Peters could when he was younger, but that element is nearly gone from his game. This is a reason so many on this board feel like Watt will be used in this role. Playing DE in base and DT in sub gives us something we lack. Playing DE in sub gives us what Reddick gave us except slower and older. It also prevents us from adding a premium player to that EDGE role in the draft.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You do realize we ONLY play a 3 man front on 1st down right?

You do realize the Texans also play a 3-4 base yet he still played 84% of snaps at Edge?

Now having realized that go back and read what I wrote. Then tell me how you pay Reddick $12m+ a year to play the role Brennan Scarlett played for the Texans in the 51% of snaps he got and why the Cards would pay that or why Reddick would do it.

What the Texans did, because they had Watt rushing from LDE was inevitably have Scarlett playing contain or coverage at SAM LB, rather than rushing. Which considering they have him under contract already seems like a role suited to Kennard.
Ummm lol. This isn’t that difficult. Reddick>>>>>Scarlettt. You put the best players on the field in the best position to succeed. When we go to a 4-3 set, Watt will slide inside and play under tackle just like Dockett did when we played a 3-4.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only person it's confusing is you, seeing as that's exactly what I have said several times.

"Since 2015 Watts has played the vast, vast majority of his snaps at Edge. He will sometimes move inside on 1st down in a 2 man front and play LDE."

"702 snaps as the left edge defender, 90 snaps at left end in a 3 man front"

"At the very best if Watt plays DE on 1st down as he tended to do at Texas then Reddick might get outside snaps on first down only in Base."

"Watt played 84% of snaps at Edge last year. As he has done throughout most of his career. He plays inside at DE on 1st down only"

I'm not sure what part of him playing DE on 1st down and EDGE on all other down's escaped you the several times I've said it.

So as you say above "it's D-end in a 3-4 and Hasson in an outside linebacker". Which as I said before is exactly what Brennan Scarlett did for the Texans and even with snaps at off ball linebacker he still only played 51% of snaps.

So we're going to pay Reddick $12m+ to play 50% of snaps? Less really, as he won't get Scarlett's off ball snaps.

Couldn't care less as to how the Texans used Scarlett.

The fact remains that a starting OLB in a 3-4 can be on the field for all three downs.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If your defense has any talent at all to take the double or triple team off JJ he is going to be a top 5 player. Just my opinion, after watching all of 2020. Oh and stats don’t lie, JJ Watt was the most double teamed player in 2020 and if they tracked tackled by offensive lineman from behind or choke held without a flag, there would be no one even close.

He was the most double teamed defensive end in 2020, Donald was doubled teamed 68% of the time as a defensive tackle.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
It’s not Watt’s job to fix the penalty issue. I hope Keim isn’t trying to cover for Kliff and Vance. Those are the two responsible for instilling discipline into this roster

You got me to thinking is it Keim's plan to bring in veteran players to prop up leadership and discipline because it's not coming from our head coach? We all know Keim's wagon is tethered to KK. When you think about this signing, you have to ask why didn't they wait until teams made their cuts to free up cap space to see who else came free. Here is an article that addresses surprise at the signing of Watt for the amount the Cardinals signed him at.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-steelers-draft-target-stands-out/ar-BB1ehmq6https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-steelers-draft-target-stands-out/ar-BB1ehmq6

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No, he isn't. Watt played 84% of snaps at Edge last year. As he has done throughout most of his career. He plays inside at DE on 1st down only.
I suggest listening to the last Big Red Rage. Vance Joeseph was on and was pretty candid about their plans for Watt.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mostly 5 and 3 technique. Pretty much the same defense he was in when he won Defensive player of the year the first time. It’s designed to isolate him one on one with the guard. I was encouraged that he also mentioned Reddick. Sounded like he assumed he would be back.

+1, solid information

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly 5 and 3 technique. Pretty much the same defense he was in when he won Defensive player of the year the first time. It’s designed to isolate him one on one with the guard. I was encouraged that he also mentioned Reddick. Sounded like he assumed he would be back.

if they bring Reddick back I’ll do a total 180 on the Watt move. Our front 7 would have the potential to be terrifying.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
if they bring Reddick back I’ll do a total 180 on the Watt move. Our front 7 would have the potential to be terrifying.

Totally agree. Just hope hes not looked at by other teams as the next big thing or the cards tag him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suggest listening to the last Big Red Rage. Vance Joeseph was on and was pretty candid about their plans for Watt.

I listened to it. He said nothing I haven't said here. He talked a lot about JJ playing 5 technique with an OLB outside him which as I've said he did at the Texans on 1st down.

Considering we only play 3 man fronts with a 5 tech on 1st downs it's not going to be any different.

Unless they go nuts and say were just going to play base every down so we can have JJ at 5 tech. Which they won't.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just praying watt makes it past off season and has a good yr

Just use to this going backwards for cards

My guess watt has like 6 sacks hope more just his age worries me

I would have rather used that cap on oline... but let's see how this pans out....

Nervous and Excited on upcoming season