Free Agency Rumors

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
some considerable rumblings about OBJ getting traded to Cardinals. Not sure what the return to cleveland would be. I'd offer a 3rd rounder.
I love the athletic and skill fit.

I like the player.

I worry about the volume of targets and personality fit.

Personality is more about his ability to be ok being the 2nd best WR option.

Target concern is that he needs about 145 per season. We only had 216 targets last year for WRs not named Hopkins.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Which is why I would have a Duke Johnson on the roster. It is why I would draft a more physical back in round 5 and also as a UDFA. You don't want to throw Edmonds out there and then have to scramble if he gets hurt, but he also deserves the opportunity to show he can be more.

I'm all for throwing #'s at the problem, and assume stronger interior line play could help as well. Hopefully we'll have someone on the roster who can get the tough yard when needed.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Too high. Dude is coming season ending injury and wasn’t making huge impact before that.
Any deal would include either Isabella or Kirk so that the Browns would be able to sell the lower value of the draft pick return. Also, the pick return would likely have production conditions attached to it.

There is also a chance they will just cut OBJ as that 15 mil with no penalty is a lot of savings.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm all for throwing #'s at the problem, and assume stronger interior line play could help as well. Hopefully we'll have someone on the roster who can get the tough yard when needed.
I like Duke because he would be insurance if Chase got dinged up long term. He does the same things. I like the guys potentially available in round 5 and Ward showed that he has some physicality which adds physicality to the group.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I like Duke because he would be insurance if Chase got dinged up long term. He does the same things. I like the guys potentially available in round 5 and Ward showed that he has some physicality which adds physicality to the group.

I'm hoping a good vet or someone who can mimic Drake 2019 will be released...Drake and the run game really did make a difference at the end of 2019, and his ineffectiveness in 2020 really hurt the offense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Release Foster. Give Jonathan Ward burn & go after some UDFAs. RB should not nearly be held to this valuable standard as you’re making it out to be. Improve the iOL then go from there.
I wasn't necessarily trying to criticize, but can you name one successful team making it work at RB with a stable full of essentially undrafted guys?

The closest I can think of is James Robinson (still a 7th) from JAX, but I'm just not buying the complete lack of importance at the position you seem to be selling, especially on this team. If finding any running back anywhere in UDFA is so easy, why haven't we been able to do it?

I know PFF is no gospel, but even for the best OLs in the game, they don't have undrafted rookies back there and thriving. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What about Curtis Samuel? I would think he and JuJu as options 1 and 1a in WR FA for the Cards...I'd rather not see the team go down the AB road.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OBJ would probably not be a headcase in AZ with Nuk and KM, imo.
yeah Nuk would be the clear alpha in that position room. And idk why but something about OBJ on his 3rd team makes me think his attitude might change a bit.

plus OBJ has been living in PHX for months and rehabbing his ACL here. I think this would be a good fit for him. I would be ecstatic if we get a deal done.

edit: I went to look at his rehab process and he has videos up in late november in Phoenix. He's been here for our best months :):D

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Any deal would include either Isabella or Kirk so that the Browns would be able to sell the lower value of the draft pick return. Also, the pick return would likely have production conditions attached to it.

There is also a chance they will just cut OBJ as that 15 mil with no penalty is a lot of savings.

I'd give them Kirk and Andy both...I think KJ is going to develop...and you can draft another mid-late round dude. Having 2 WR's like Nuk and OBJ would be like when Dallas had Irvin and Harper, imo. All the other WR's on that roster just ate scraps, while those 2 and Novacek caught everything in sight.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I can see why they are looking at trading for someone like OBJ, rather than go FA route...His contract is up after 2023 and may actually be reworkable after 2022...it's clear they are putting some 2-3 year pieces in place, before any extension for KM kicks in.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if CLE is willing to deal OBJ now. Yes, they had great season once he went down with injury but their GM may feel they could be even better with him this season now that they are winning he may ditch the attitude.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't necessarily trying to criticize, but can you name one successful team making it work at RB with a stable full of essentially undrafted guys?

The closest I can think of is James Robinson (still a 7th) from JAX, but I'm just not buying the complete lack of importance at the position you seem to be selling, especially on this team. If finding any running back anywhere in UDFA is so easy, why haven't we been able to do it?

I know PFF is no gospel, but even for the best OLs in the game, they don't have undrafted rookies back there and thriving. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

Years ago, the Broncos blocking scheme turned every running back into a 1000+ yarder.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Man, I didn’t say it lacked importance, but compared to damn near every other position on the field, it certainly comes last. Especially when you look at how many needs at way more valuable positions we have. I don’t like the thought of drafting JaVonte Williams in the 2nd round only to see his production go down after his 3rd season due to his violent running style. Meanwhile, that 2nd round pick could have been used on a CB or WR that will be productive for 5+. I honestly think Kyler would benefit more from a good TE than a good RB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re gonna trade for a massive headcase diva WR, who wasn’t that productive while healthy last season, has really injury prone over the last four seasons AND is coming off an ACL year?

that seems like a terrible move also.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re gonna trade for a massive headcase diva WR, who wasn’t that productive while healthy last season, has really injury prone over the last four seasons AND is coming off an ACL year?

depends on what they would have to give up. If anything higher then a 4th I’d say your right. But low risk high reward with lower draft picks I’m in favor of.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Not to mention Baker was more productive before he got there and while he was hurt. I’d rather use that money on Reddick.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

I am happy for Reddick but i feel like too many people hold him in too high of a regard. Take away one game against possibly the worst oline ive ever seen and his numbers are pedestrian.

also---if you think OBJ is not good then you simply are not paying attention.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am happy for Reddick but i feel like too many people hold him in too high of a regard. Take away one game against possibly the worst oline ive ever seen and his numbers are pedestrian.

even if you take away his great game, he’s still git the same Total amount of tackles for loss as Watt last.

and you can’t just take an entire game away. That’s such a stupid argument that ignores ACTUAL production.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even if you take away his great game, he’s still git the same Total amount of tackles for loss as Watt last.

and you can’t just take an entire game away. That’s such a stupid argument that ignores ACTUAL production.

1000%

How many other players got five sacks in one game against that team in the other 15 games they played?

people have some silly arguments.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This isn't true.

Even without the Giants game, his numbers were pretty solid.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There is a certain sticker shock you have to get over with NFL contracts.

Just last year a good contingency of the board thought Humphries $14 mil per contract was too much. Now it's barely top ten and the top guys are making over $7 mil per year more.

Reddick at $12 mil per is a good contract, but not the $20 mil plus that the top guys are getting.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I love the athletic and skill fit.

I like the player.

I worry about the volume of targets and personality fit.

Personality is more about his ability to be ok being the 2nd best WR option.

Target concern is that he needs about 145 per season. We only had 216 targets last year for WRs not named Hopkins.

I would expect Hop’s targets to go down a bit if we had a legit alternative like OBJ. Also, Fitz may retire; that opens up 72 more targets. Also, we could always just throw more if that’s our strength.