Name one guy you would cut today if the GM, and there is not cap hit

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Jordan Philips, simply overrated and since the premise of the thread is no cap hit then you add $10 million to your cap. I also would not sign Fitz for anymore than $4 million. His production and ability to affect a game is not worth more than $4 million.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Your premise as written is barely comprehensible.

The cap cost is a reality but feel free to indulge in your fantasy.

Look, reserve your angst for that one guy you wish would not be on the roster without any cap worries. Who is that one guy GC which you wish was not on this team holding us back. Because, honestly all the draft talk and a majority of what we discuss is fantasy anyways since we are not the GM or the coach... and I put that caveat of the cap space in there just so I would not have to put somebody through giving the reasons why they can't cite kicking that guy out the door :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He knows it
But he has a sort of obsessive compulsive regarding drake, and it's pretty unwarranted
I just think he's overpaid and not very good. If we wanted to bring him back for half of what he made, and guaranteed there was going to be a rookie drafted in the top 3 rounds to split the time/take over as the full time starter in 2022, I'd be fine with it.

He's just not the answer to make this offense ascend.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Alford stays on a reworked deal for his min dead cap hit.

Makes sense for both sides.

Why would you keep a player that is 33 yrs old, has not played a game in 2 years -2019 (Broken Let), 2020 (torn Pectoral Muscle). He as received 13.5 Million for those 2 years and is supposed to get 9mil this year. He will have lost a step for with his age. He is not worth retaining. The Cardinal will only have a Dead Cap hit of 1.5 mil but will have a cap gain of 7.5 Million.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would you keep a player that is 33 yrs old, has not played a game in 2 years -2019 (Broken Let), 2020 (torn Pectoral Muscle). He as received 13.5 Million for those 2 years and is supposed to get 9mil this year. He will have lost a step for with his age. He is not worth retaining. The Cardinal will only have a Dead Cap hit of 1.5 mil but will have a cap gain of 7.5 Million.

What part of "Keep him for the price of his dead cap hit" was vague?

If he's going to cost you $1.5m either way then you tell him he can stay for $1.5m or get cut. You get a vet CB for absolutely no loss. And considering our CB room right now consists of Byron Murphy and Alford that seems like a smart move.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I just think he's overpaid and not very good. If we wanted to bring him back for half of what he made, and guaranteed there was going to be a rookie drafted in the top 3 rounds to split the time/take over as the full time starter in 2022, I'd be fine with it.

He's just not the answer to make this offense ascend.

Remember how many times he couldnt gain a damn yard on 3 and 1 & 2nd and 1. Thats when i started watch Travis Etienne and Najee Harris more.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What part of "Keep him for the price of his dead cap hit" was vague?

If he's going to cost you $1.5m either way then you tell him he can stay for $1.5m or get cut. You get a vet CB for absolutely no loss. And considering our CB room right now consists of Byron Murphy and Alford that seems like a smart move.

I see where you are going but you have to account under the cap for the $1.5M, which is the final tranche of his prorated bonus and is already in pocket. You either respect the contract as is or sign a new agreement but you can't circumvent the $1.5m in doing so.

So signing him to a new 1-year contract (say $1m) is in fact a $2.5m charge against the cap in 2021.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess since it's a speculating thing I'd say Zane.

I can see Isabella, I can see others but Zane is the guy who very clearly cost us more than one win last year. I know the temptation if you can fix him you have a guy with a good leg, relatively young, for a bunch of years. If you let him go and someone else gets those years you feel stupid.

But the #1 thing for a kicker is can you count on them to make kicks when you need them, and we can't with him.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess since it's a speculating thing I'd say Zane.

I can see Isabella, I can see others but Zane is the guy who very clearly cost us more than one win last year. I know the temptation if you can fix him you have a guy with a good leg, relatively young, for a bunch of years. If you let him go and someone else gets those years you feel stupid.

But the #1 thing for a kicker is can you count on them to make kicks when you need them, and we can't with him.
I agree. There are plenty of kickers out there with strong legs. With kickers, once a headcase, always a headcase. Time to move on from Zane. For me, more so than Isabella.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see where you are going but you have to account under the cap for the $1.5M, which is the final tranche of his prorated bonus and is already in pocket. You either respect the contract as is or sign a new agreement but you can't circumvent the $1.5m in doing so.

So signing him to a new 1-year contract (say $1m) is in fact a $2.5m charge against the cap in 2021.

You are correct. You beat me to the answer.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I say we go ahead and cut the Cheese. I have never known him to do anything but stink up the place. We could certainly replace him during the draft, even as late as R5.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose