Hassan Reddick

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Based upon this article, it would appear he if definitely going to entertain offers in free agency before he considers an offer from the Cardinals. One thing that I thought stood out was his statement of:

Quote “I watched, I listened, I saw what people said and I won’t forget,” Reddick said, via Josh Weinfuss of ESPN. “But, as you can see, I came out here this year and did what I had to do. And I bet you they ain’t saying it now.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-people-said-about-my-play-and-i-wont-forget/

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Based upon this article, it would appear he if definitely going to entertain offers in free agency before he considers an offer from the Cardinals. One thing that I thought stood out was his statement of:

Quote “I watched, I listened, I saw what people said and I won’t forget,” Reddick said, via Josh Weinfuss of ESPN. “But, as you can see, I came out here this year and did what I had to do. And I bet you they ain’t saying it now.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-people-said-about-my-play-and-i-wont-forget/

tag 'em

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Reddick is such a tough eval.

Several years struggling to make an impact but also playing a position different than the one that got him drafted.

12.5 sacks playing what seems to be a natural position, but 5 of those came in one game. You can't completely discount it, but you have to take it into consideration.

Size concerns for his role in our system. Most EDGE players in a 3-4 are 250+ and Reddick is listed at 235.

He is not young. He will be 27 on 9/22/21. This means a traditionally big contract of 5 years would pay him until he is 31. For perspective, Bud Dupree won't turn 29 until after next season.

Flush market for EDGE players in both FA and the Draft. The supply is there to find an alternative option if Reddick wants the moon. However, the team has several needs so creating a new hole isn't ideal.

Normally you would just tag him, but with a down cap year due to Covid, this actually becomes pretty prohibitive. That goes for both the transition tag and the franchise tag.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm glad for Reddick. I think the Cards Org needs to have a strong word with itself over how it misused Reddick and where he could be as a player right now had we not wasted 3 years of his career trying to play him out of position.

Having said all that, Reddick sounds a little too big for his boots in this quote. Yes, he had a nice season, but you have to factor in that all but one of his sacks came against rookies, first year starters or backups. It's not like he's been blowing up Andrew Whitworth and Trent Williams. His only sack against anyone noteworthy was McGlinchy in the 2nd SF game but McGlinchy saw him well past the QB. Beathard held the ball too long and Reddick got him coming back the other way.

He had a 5 game stretch against good O lines (except Miami) where he didn't record a sack or a QB hit with 4 TFL's over the 5 games. Against Miami (PFF rank 28), Bills (10), Seahawks (14), Patriots (4), Rams (3).

I would be SUPER wary about overpaying a guy where all his production was against sub par tackles.

PS - As I haven't seen it mentioned the Cards had PFF's 12th ranked O line this year. Their highest ever PFF rank since they started in 2006.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Reddick is such a tough eval.

Several years struggling to make an impact but also playing a position different than the one that got him drafted.

12.5 sacks playing what seems to be a natural position, but 5 of those came in one game. You can't completely discount it, but you have to take it into consideration.

Size concerns for his role in our system. Most EDGE players in a 3-4 are 250+ and Reddick is listed at 235.

He is not young. He will be 27 on 9/22/21. This means a traditionally big contract of 5 years would pay him until he is 31. For perspective, Bud Dupree won't turn 29 until after next season.

Flush market for EDGE players in both FA and the Draft. The supply is there to find an alternative option if Reddick wants the moon. However, the team has several needs so creating a new hole isn't ideal.

Normally you would just tag him, but with a down cap year due to Covid, this actually becomes pretty prohibitive. That goes for both the transition tag and the franchise tag.

I feel like this is wrong in two ways. One, he was drafted to play off-ball linebacker, and SUCKED at that for most of three seasons — sucked so back they couldn't put him on the field.

Two, he DID have an opportunity to play OLB/Edge in rotation with Kareerm Martin in 2017 and wasn't anything impressive.

Reddick is basically what would have happened if some people had gotten their wish and turned Adrian Wilson into an edge rusher.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like this is wrong in two ways. One, he was drafted to play off-ball linebacker, and SUCKED at that for most of three seasons — sucked so back they couldn't put him on the field.

Two, he DID have an opportunity to play OLB/Edge in rotation with Kareerm Martin in 2017 and wasn't anything impressive.

Reddick is basically what would have happened if some people had gotten their wish and turned Adrian Wilson into an edge rusher.

It concerns me that some people are saying tag him or pay him $15m. I just don't see him that way at all. I saw a guy that got a bunch of sacks against some really poor tackles and against some really bad QB's who held the ball too long.

To put it into perspective Dennis Gardeck had 7 sacks against the same O lines in 94 snaps. He only played in 10 games and in 8 of those he had 10 or less snaps. It's easily conceivable that had Gardeck played 16 games that he would have had more sacks than Reddick.

In that case, would anyone be saying we should pay Gardeck $15m? I don't think so.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It concerns me that some people are saying tag him or pay him $15m. I just don't see him that way at all. I saw a guy that got a bunch of sacks against some really poor tackles and against some really bad QB's who held the ball too long.

To put it into perspective Dennis Gardeck had 7 sacks against the same O lines in 94 snaps. He only played in 10 games and in 8 of those he had 10 or less snaps. It's easily conceivable that had Gardeck played 16 games that he would have had more sacks than Reddick.

In that case, would anyone be saying we should pay Gardeck $15m? I don't think so.

No way I’d pay $15m. His production was not consistent game to game. Someone will take the risk, I’m hoping it’s not the Cards. I’d rather sign Golden at $3-4m. If he’s not up for that, pick a FA. A few long shots in the draft, but I’m betting Jones rises to the occasion for a contract year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather overpay Reddick than pay even a moderate deal for a massive liability in the run game in Golden.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling about paying Reddick.

In all honesty, especially after that quote, I just don't feel like he wants to be here. I also find tagging him to be preposterous, but that's just me. K9's right on the money in saying this isn't the first time the guy has played edge.

I won't be all that mad if we end up bringing him back, I just can't say I fervently believe it's a good idea.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My initial thought was to either Transition tag him or Franchise tag him. This news changes none of that because I really want to see this kid get better.

Due to injury, he got a ton of snaps he wasn't expecting this year and made good on the opportunity.

The last thing I want to do is:
  • Let him walk out into the FA Market because I think he may get 3 to 5yrs at 15mm+. We cant afford that.
  • Give him a 3 to 5 year deal and be stuck with it if/when he regresses.

This kid isn't Shaq Barrett. But if he proves it to me twice..... He may get the money he wants.

Current projection for LB:
Franchise: $15,657,000
Transition: $13,406,000

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My initial thought was to either Transition tag him or Franchise tag him. This news changes none of that because I really want to see this kid get better.

Due to injury, he got a ton of snaps he wasn't expecting this year and made good on the opportunity.

The last thing I want to do is:
  • Let him walk out into the FA Market because I think he may get 3 to 5yrs at 15mm+. We cant afford that.
  • Give him a 3 to 5 year deal and be stuck with it if/when he regresses.

This kid isn't Shaq Barrett. But if he proves it to me twice..... He may get the money he wants.

Current projection for LB:
Franchise: $15,657,000
Transition: $13,406,000

same.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling about paying Reddick.

In all honesty, especially after that quote, I just don't feel like he wants to be here. I also find tagging him to be preposterous, but that's just me. K9's right on the money in saying this isn't the first time the guy has played edge.

I won't be all that mad if we end up bringing him back, I just can't say I fervently believe it's a good idea.

Overpaying Reddick based on 1 year of production against bad players is EXACTLY the Cards way.

I'm fully expecting them to pay him way too much then he gets 4 sacks next season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Same, but I'd prefer the transition tag. Let the market dictate his price and we can always match if we so choose.

me too on transition tag.

I'd rather save the transition tag for Pat P.

I prefer the transition tag as well but you only get to tag one person. This is where things get tricky for me. A youthful pass rusher who may blossom? Or the aging former All-pro who shows massive regression 18 months after getting popped for PED's.

To me, the decision is clear. Especially since we will suck at CB outside regardless of whether Pat P is lined up opposite of their WR1 or not.

Might as well try to make our pass rush more fearsome.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I prefer the transition tag as well but you only get to tag one person. This is where things get tricky for me. A youthful pass rusher who may blossom? Or the aging former All-pro who shows massive regression 18 months after getting popped for PED's.

To me, the decision is clear. Especially since we will suck at CB outside regardless of whether Pat P is lined up opposite of their WR1 or not.

Yeah, we just fundamentally disagree on how washed PP21 is. I think he's still a better CB than anyone poised to become an FA outside of William Jackson III, who I don't see being an option with Cincinnati's cap space. To me, the ideal scenario is keeping Peterson at a semi-reasonable price for a year, and drafting some kids to take over. I don't want to watch Gareon Conley try to cover DK Metcalf.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Overpaying Reddick based on 1 year of production against bad players is EXACTLY the Cards way.

I'm fully expecting them to pay him way too much then he gets 4 sacks next season.
Can’t help but to think this will end up another DHump situation for you.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, we just fundamentally disagree on how washed PP21 is. I think he's still a better CB than anyone poised to become an FA outside of William Jackson III, who I don't see being an option with Cincinnati's cap space. To me, the ideal scenario is keeping Peterson at a semi-reasonable price for a year, and drafting some kids to take over. I don't want to watch Gareon Conley try to cover DK Metcalf.
I mean what’s the difference between him & Peterson covering nowadays?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I mean what’s the difference between him & Peterson covering nowadays?
You and I firmly disagree about how good or bad Peterson is. You seem to think he's not a starting CB in any way, shape, or form, which I just can't get on board with.

I can at least understand the people who are concerned about his pay vs. production, but you're seemingly at the point where you think he should be out of the league.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the way I read that he was talking more about fans than the organization?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about concerns but my question is are there that many examples of guys his age having a big sack year and then not being good after? I've seen it over 30, but in general guys that break out like Reddick did this year generally don't go back to not being good.

Shaq Barrett seems like a good comp 19.5 sacks out of nowhere, but even he this season while nowhere near as good, he still had 8 sacks and was still a major piece of that defense.

If it were my decision that would be the first thing I do, a study of how common it is for someone to do what Reddick did this year and then fall off a cliff. I'm sure there are examples I just can't think of many at his age, unless they had major injuries.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i think you just let PEDerson walk.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose