Kyler on Pat Mcafee show

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In games he had 6 or less rushing attempts, Kyler avg 21.3 completions, 32 attempts, 183.67 yards, 1.67 TDs, and .83 INTs. We were 0 - 6. (that does include the last game vs the Rams but those number actually help him bit so I included them)

So, we may have different views of average, but for me, 21 for 32, 183.5 yds, 1.67 tds and .08 ints isn't it. That's bad and I don't particularly care that it is his 2nd year. Bad is bad and needs improvement.

And that is what people are saying. Kyler Murray is not a good passing QB when he isn't a threat or doesn't run. He needs to get better for this team to be better and it isn't significantly on the coaching because there are examples of younger QBs who also had bad coaching and threw the ball better.
You are now officially registered onto the Murray Offender List.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Ok. I will be very whiny here. Some may call this a "boomer mentality" but I hate that all he talks about is "we" and never really says "me" when it comes to inconsistency and getting better. You are the damn QB. You need to get better. And if your teammates are not doing the little things then it is your job to get them to do it. Lead your team instead of complaining about what they aren't doing. Ugh.
I agree 100 with this statement. QBs, more than anyone else, must lead by example. IMO, leadership is not part of his resume yet.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
1. I agree. Have heard several comments from him over the season that lead me to believe he's not enamored with Kliff.

2. Also agree. He has live Twitch streams from in season. QB is a full time role. There shouldn't be time to live stream gaming in a game week. Some are going to say "needs down time" etc and older QB's have kids they need to be a parent too so it's not all football. But for a young QB still learning the game with many obvious flaws still in his game I don't like to see him on Twitch during a game week.

3. I also fear Kliff's chilled, man bro, laid back attitude isn't pushing Kyler nearly enough.
I agree with these statements also.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is a Top-10 QB in NFL history. He’s earned that right to be rough around the edges, and more often than not, he’s been right.

I'll tolerate the antics if Murray even gets close to Rodgers level. For now, he’s a young QB with high potential, but an off-putting attitude, which gives me discomfort when thinking about him elevating his game. He’d be wise to show a little humility.

Just an observation, but the anti-Murray crowd are the same ones drawing all these conclusions based on video clips.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just an observation, but the anti-Murray crowd are the same ones drawing all these conclusions based on video clips.
When you factor in he was the OROY in year 1, and a Pro bowler in year 2, it’s mind boggling & concerning the amount of anti-Murray bias there is on this board. Since it’s not his play on the field, what exactly is driving this hatred??? He’s the most exciting Cardinal player I have seen in many, many years. Probably, the MOST exciting in my 57 years following this team. Yet, people find a way to criticize him almost daily on this board. Troubling to me.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
When you factor in he was the OROY in year 1, and a Pro bowler in year 2, it’s mind boggling & concerning the amount of anti-Murray bias there is on this board. Since it’s not his play on the field, what exactly is driving this hatred??? He’s the most exciting Cardinal player I have seen in many, many years. Probably, the MOST exciting in my 57 years following this team. Yet, people find a way to criticize him almost daily on this board. Troubling to me.

Probably the draft hype before we drafted him. To me, since I don’t know anything about or watch college games, I don’t know what to expect. From the hype I read, he was going to put up 30+ every game, have 1000 yards rushing every year and get us to the playoffs in year one. That didn’t happen.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Probably the draft hype before we drafted him. To me, since I don’t know anything about or watch college games, I don’t know what to expect. From the hype I read, he was going to put up 30+ every game, have 1000 yards rushing every year and get us to the playoffs in year one. That didn’t happen.
Playoffs? Did you say playoffs? You do realize that there was a reason why the Cardinals had the #1 overall pick. Not only were they the worst team in the NFL in 2018, they were the WORST team in Cardinals history. They beat a SF team twice that was completely decimated with injuries & they beat GB because Rodgers wanted his HC fired. That Cardinal team should have been 0-16. And you expected Murray to take that team to the playoffs in year 1?? LOL.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hatred is a very strong word. Many of us are just not sold on Kyler. Nothing diabolical as you seem to imply.

Several reasons. Ironically, a potential baseball career was never one that bothered me.

He's not the guy some of us wanted as QB. I personally was all-in on Lamar Jackson (despite the fact that he is a Heisman winner - more on that next). I was also one of those for keeping Rosen and drafting Q. Williams. Just seemed like we completely wasted the previous year's draft by trading up for a QB (not a surprise with Keim).

He won the Heisman in college. (May sound silly, but only two college QB's have ever won the Heisman as a college QB and then won the SB as a pro QB. Two wins each so that's 4-51 after this year (SB 55))

He's too short. No one his height has ever won a Super Bowl. Worried about field vision and batted passes.

Worried about his durability. Not only is he short - he has a small frame. Russ Wilson is only a little taller but is built better.

Personality. He seems like a kid whose more concerned with his video games and Twitch stream than practice or the next game. Seems disinterested. This is nothing new. There were plenty of pre-draft concerns about his interviews and his not being "the guy" like this article:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/05/kyler-murray-backlash-arrives-worst-reports-execs-ever-heard/

Still a Cards fan and hoping he proves me wrong, but I'm still not sold on him being anything other than a flashy QB that gets us to mediocre records and maybe a few playoff appearances but never over the hump to win it all (which is the goal, or should be).

So far he's a potential franchise QB, but I do not feel he is "clearly the guy" or anything. He's a work in progress. Unfortunately, he's tied to a head coach that is also not "clearly the guy" in his position either...

just my two cents on this Thursday morning.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Playoffs? Did you say playoffs? You do realize that there was a reason why the Cardinals had the #1 overall pick. Not only were they the worst team in the NFL in 2018, they were the WORST team in Cardinals history. They beat a SF team twice that was completely decimated with injuries & they beat GB because Rodgers wanted his HC fired. That Cardinal team should have been 0-16. And you expected Murray to take that team to the playoffs in year 1?? LOL.

None of these Kyler haters are even making sense.

They just want to talk and gab just so they can convince themselves they are right.

He is already a top 10 qb and ascending.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hatred is a very strong word. Many of us are just not sold on Kyler. Nothing diabolical as you seem to imply.

Several reasons. Ironically, a potential baseball career was never one that bothered me.

He's not the guy some of us wanted as QB. I personally was all-in on Lamar Jackson (despite the fact that he is a Heisman winner - more on that next). I was also one of those for keeping Rosen and drafting Q. Williams. Just seemed like we completely wasted the previous year's draft by trading up for a QB (not a surprise with Keim).

He won the Heisman in college. (May sound silly, but only two college QB's have ever won the Heisman as a college QB and then won the SB as a pro QB. Two wins each so that's 4-51 after this year (SB 55))

He's too short. No one his height has ever won a Super Bowl. Worried about field vision and batted passes.

Worried about his durability. Not only is he short - he has a small frame. Russ Wilson is only a little taller but is built better.

Personality. He seems like a kid whose more concerned with his video games and Twitch stream than practice or the next game. Seems disinterested. This is nothing new. There were plenty of pre-draft concerns about his interviews and his not being "the guy" like this article:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/05/kyler-murray-backlash-arrives-worst-reports-execs-ever-heard/

Still a Cards fan and hoping he proves me wrong, but I'm still not sold on him being anything other than a flashy QB that gets us to mediocre records and maybe a few playoff appearances but never over the hump to win it all (which is the goal, or should be).

So far he's a potential franchise QB, but I do not feel he is "clearly the guy" or anything. He's a work in progress. Unfortunately, he's tied to a head coach that is also not "clearly the guy" in his position either...

Fyi, Marino never won a SB & he's still considered one of the great QB's of all time. Just my 2 cents, IMO, you've already been proven wrong. You're obviously still holding a grudge because you wanted to hold onto a loser (Rosen) & draft a guy that has performed well below expectations (Williams). You have to let that hate go. It's not healthy.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Not directly re: the above post, but why is so hard to grasp that critique of K1's play does not equate to an "anti-Murray bias"???

Im super stoked he's our QB. I'm not a super savvy fan, but even I can see he has bad mechanics and tendencies. Why can't you be able to be critical without immediately being lumped into some nebulous "Anti-Murray" cabal???

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fyi, Marino never won a SB & he's still considered one of the great QB's of all time. Just my 2 cents, IMO, you've already been proven wrong. You're obviously still holding a grudge because you wanted to hold onto a loser (Rosen) & draft a guy that has performed well below expectations (Williams). You have to let that hate go. It's not healthy.

Sure. Mention Rosen/Williams but ignore that I wanted Lamar. LOL

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Will admit, I am afraid of him having a Philip Rivers-esque career.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not directly re: the above post, but why is so hard to grasp that critique of K1's play does not equate to an "anti-Murray bias"???

Im super stoked he's our QB. I'm not a super savvy fan, but even I can see he has bad mechanics and tendencies. Why can't you be able to be critical without immediately being lumped into some nebulous "Anti-Murray" cabal???

Some on here refuse to see any flaws in this "generational talent."

How dare anyone question anything about the guy? :shrug:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Because it's more important to me that the Cards win than stand alongside a guy who doesn't want the Cards to win as badly as I do. Professionals who don't put in all the work to be the absolute best are frustrustrating to me. If Kyler Murray is this good, imagine how much better he could be if he spent the time studying the playbook or watching film instead of doing a Twitch stream?

People who are criticizing Kyler always explain why and where he needs to get better. Nothing's perfect about a quarterback who averaged under 7 YPA and fumbled 5 times while leading his team to a 3-5 record in the crunch time of the season. That's a promising young QB who needs to get better to justify all the praise he gets here.

People acting like he's already arrived; that's not the case.

None of these Kyler haters are even making sense.

They just want to talk and gab just so they can convince themselves they are right.

He is already a top 10 qb and ascending.

Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Josh Allen
Deshaun Watson
Ryan Tannehill
Russell Wilson
Dak Prescott
Lamar Jackson
---Kyler Murray---
Justin Herbert
Baker Mayfield
Matt Ryan

It's just as imaginable that Murray falls behind one of the guys below him than vaults ahead.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really know about Twitch, I know what it is, I don't really know how to tell who uses it often and who doesn't. I googled it and from what I saw, Kyler is on there, Watson is on there and Herbert is one there since they seem to be the 2 guys most mentioned.

Watson the first link was to a charity event he did so I don't know if he's a regular on Twitch, or just for that. Herbert it was an event with him and Ekeler and it said both of them love to play video games, no idea how that equates to Kyler saying if I weren't a pro athlete I'd be a gamer, I have no idea how to find schedules.

If Kyler is doing the 2020 version of Jake Plummer having foosball tournaments instead of offseason workouts then yes I don't like that, I just don't know how to find that out.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While I havent said so here I will admit the video gaming does annoy me. However, not because he's not putting in time. Drew Brees and Tom Brady spends time with their kids (if not this year certainly previous years) are they not putting in the work? There's enough time for leisure outside of football. Hopkins said during camp that fans dont know how committed Kyler is to football.

The gaming bothers me because I've seen people "zone out" from too much gaming. If you game too much outside of football I do wonder how is your reaction/judgement in live action. This is just from interactions with players coached and teaching kids. Kyler is grown so he should have a handle on it, but it does bother me a bit.

Other stuff is again just pre-draft bias thats hard to shake for people. Not everyone is Mahomes and unfortunately our organization isnt on the Ravens level. Bills have shown how quickly things can turnaround though. If he doesnt improve throwing on the run or intermediate passes next year then I'd start questioning his work ethic. The mental stuff is different for each QB.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it's more important to me that the Cards win than stand alongside a guy who doesn't want the Cards to win as badly as I do. Professionals who don't put in all the work to be the absolute best are frustrustrating to me. If Kyler Murray is this good, imagine how much better he could be if he spent the time studying the playbook or watching film instead of doing a Twitch stream?

People who are criticizing Kyler always explain why and where he needs to get better. Nothing's perfect about a quarterback who averaged under 7 YPA and fumbled 5 times while leading his team to a 3-5 record in the crunch time of the season. That's a promising young QB who needs to get better to justify all the praise he gets here.

People acting like he's already arrived; that's not the case.

Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Josh Allen
Deshaun Watson
Ryan Tannehill
Russell Wilson
Dak Prescott
Lamar Jackson
---Kyler Murray---
Justin Herbert
Baker Mayfield
Matt Ryan

It's just as imaginable that Murray falls behind one of the guys below him than vaults ahead.

No problem with this list.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose